Help a newbie

Jonathanwpurvis

Hi

We just started yesterday and have tried two caches and failed :( so I have a few questions

1 I'm using my iPhone but wonder can I get some sort of geocaching add on for my tom-tom

2 the last cache we looked for was in an old graveyard , would people hide the cache under the tombstones, I didn't want to root in them too much.

3 I pressume it's normal not to find your first few caches

Cheers

Jonathan

1) iPhones are OK, but I like a dedicated hand-held GPS. The tom-tom is for driving.

2) Good call. They're probably in the bushes. Just make sure you're looking for traditional caches, not multi-caches, unknown caches (puzzles). Traditional caches are right at the coordinates (or close)

3) Yea, the first few times can be frustrating. Start off by looking for ones that are not Micros, but either small or regular sized. Also look for ones with a low difficulty rating. You'll usually have better luck that way.

Hi

We just started yesterday and have tried two caches and failed :( so I have a few questions

1 I'm using my iPhone but wonder can I get some sort of geocaching add on for my tom-tom

2 the last cache we looked for was in an old graveyard , would people hide the cache under the tombstones, I didn't want to root in them too much.

Cheers

Jonathan

Which geocaches were you looking for? Can you give us the GC code and/or names/locations? We might be able to help in more detail if we can read the cache write-up?

Grave yard caches tend to be micro or nano caches and hard to find for a first timer. Your better off looking for small and regular sized caches with a difficulty fo a 1 or 1.5. Keep in mind your GPSr isn't going to land you right on top of the cache. Its good for getting you within 20 feet of the cache. After that you need to start looking for possible hiding places. Over time you'll start to recognize some of the more common methods of hiding a cache. Then you'll have an easier time locating caches.

Absolutely unacceptable placement would be one that you need to "root" under a tombstone. Any disturbing search techniques would be unacceptable in cemeteries.

It's highly likely that it's a nano or micro hidden on a fence or in a bush. Or maybe it's a multi-cache, where you need to look for more than one set of coordinates.

As suggested above, post the GC codes for the caches you've looked for, and that will allow us to read the cache page and all the previous logs, and get a better feel for what you might be up against.

For sure. And there will be plenty more DNF's in your future. It's just part of the game. I've lost track of how many DNF's we have for caches that other people have described as "easy".

It takes time to get the hang of this game. And then, when you feel like "aha, I get it", you'll hit some caches that make you think "nope, there's always another one out there that threw me a curve".

Thanks everyone for the feedback. TBH its exactly what I was thinking on both the caches

The two we looked for were

1. GC1JE4D

2. GC188FG

Now on both we will go back and all that happened on the first one was we ran out of time as we had soccer training :)

The second one I was really close i came across the memorial can of cider and the gravestone. Any hints on finding no 2 would be great.

We will keep using my phone for now till we get the hang of things :)

Typically when a caches is marked as an unknown size its a nano. About the size of the end of your little finger. Often they have a magnet stuck in the bottom so check all over metal objects. It could be attached to the bottom of a metal fence post ore under a park bench.

On the first one that is a Multi. You need to read through the whole cache description so you know what needs to be done there.

Edited by mpilchfamily

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.) And it is often best to start with traditional 2.gif caches, which will be at the published coordinates. Multi-caches 3.gif or mystery/puzzle caches 8.gif or other cache types can require more work just to figure out where the container is located.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your GPSr, and to the GPSr of the cache owner, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate.

Go ahead and read the cache's additional hints (if provided), and read the past logs and look at any photos in the cache's image gallery. They may help you understand what you're looking for, and how/where it may be hidden. It may also help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

I have only just started GC too and the first few I went to find I couldn't. The difficulty rating was too high, so for now I am sticking with 2 stars or under and looking for small and above caches but have found one micro and yes it was tiny and stuck under a bench. I am using the hints, past logs and photos at different times to find but most of the time am finding them, so far I have looked for 31 and found 26. I am also looking for easy terrain but have a toddler and baby with me. I am avoiding multi caches and puzzles and concentrating on the easier finds until i get a bit more experienced.

Once you start making finds its a bit addictive and lots of fun!

You bought a premium membership before buying a GPSr or finding a cache. Nothing like going all in. 8-) I have been useing a tom tom myself, I turn it to help and just read the gps location and move which ever way I need to. Find the people who told you about this and have them take you out to find one. Read all the clues, decrypt the ones you need to, read all the log posts. definitly get an idea of what you are looking for. the dog poo ones and rocks and logs are a bit more rare than the micros, smalls, normals so don't go too crazy turning stuff over. lot of dog poo really is dog poo. Good luck.

You bought a premium membership before buying a GPSr or finding a cache. Nothing like going all in. 8-) I have been useing a tom tom myself, I turn it to help and just read the gps location and move which ever way I need to. Find the people who told you about this and have them take you out to find one. Read all the clues, decrypt the ones you need to, read all the log posts. definitly get an idea of what you are looking for. the dog poo ones and rocks and logs are a bit more rare than the micros, smalls, normals so don't go too crazy turning stuff over. lot of dog poo really is dog poo. Good luck.

I sure did I noticed loads of GC in my area but most of them were premium members only so I thought id give it a pop I have GPRS on my phone and I have my Tom Tom I found some software to make the tt work as a GC GPRS so I'll give that a go also.

We are just getting ready to try and find a cache I have had a look at the logs and pics and think we might be able to find this one :)

30 dollars is about 25 euro so it's not that expensive especially if we really get into it. Proving to be w great way to get everyone out. The cache were looking for today is in a clear plastic box wish me luck

Ok, I had a look at the 2 caches you gave the numbers for. I read the logs and there are some small clues there. This is what I came up with (Spoiler alert! If you don't want to get any hints to caches, don't read this! But I haven't found this cache, and I wouldn't post anything that takes too much of the mystery away):

Donaghmore

Someone with over 2000 finds returned to find it and said: "...took me a good amount of hunting. It was where I thought it was all along, just could never quite spy it."

Someone else with nearly 2000 finds put "I checked the obvious place. Almost immediately, I put my hand on it."

Someone else put: "Out rubber bracelet, in trolley token."someone earlier said they left "neck strap, heart tag, wrist band." so it is at least bigger than a nano.

Back in March: "There is a bottle near that one.... Nearly didn't find thanks to this, but we lifted the bottle and there it was." (So it is probably on the ground.)

Oh, and someone else put "This hide was a real surprise ;o)" So perhaps it is disguised in some way.

Battlefield of the Boyne

We would love to visit that place, it looks interesting! :)

In December last year: "Great little multi. Good job we look at previous logs before we started as we nearly got caught out. Got the right co-ords and found cache after a few minutes search."

I'm not going to copy the other relavent logs, but read the one for October 13th and the relevant ones before that, to do with the coorinates for finding the stages of the multi. Oh, mind you head, looks like there's a head height rock to avoid! :unsure:

Good luck! :D

Congratulations on finding your first cache today! :cool:

Edited by Fianccetto