New Geocaching challenges

Hi all for those who are interested the new geocaching challenges are been releasedtomorrow in place of the old virtuals from what i gather it is separate from your caching account, but for the full storey go to www.podcacher.com and listen to the midweek micro. Brought to you all first in an exclusive interview with Jeremy and Brian from Groundspeak.

Great news! So do I understand correctly that they will show up in your smiley count but just as a different type of cache in your found i.e. multi, traditional, unknown etc? Also, only premium members can place them, right?

There are so many fantastic places Geocaching can take you around the world where it is just not possible to hide a physical container. I used virtual caches to find all the best tourist spots in Beijing and was sad that they had disappeared completely. I have two cache locations with high muggle activity that these will be perfect for and I can finally get them back on the air with these types. Good on you Groundspeak for bringing them back with a twist.

Challenges activated!

I'm glad to see they're keeping the Finds & Challenges Completed count separate. Hmmm, lessee how this works...

Any challenges in Gauteng yet? I am thinking of creating one... Now where is that thing called a GPS..?

It seems that we cannot publish challenges in South Africa? :sad: Or am I just missing something? :huh:

Edited by Black James Cash

I'm stoaked that they are keeping the finds separate... I would be much happier if the challenges actually involved finding a GEOCACHE! Something like the idea I posted on the feedback forum... Maybe they will incorporate this?

You're missing the point. These are not like the other challenge caches, which require you to find several caches in order to find cache. These will no doubt remain as a twist on puzzle and or multi caches for now.

These "Challenges" are GCs compromise to the overwhelming request to bring back virtual caches.... the whole concept of which is to not have a container, and are ideal for high muggle areas and or places of interest where hiding a physical container would be difficult if not completely impossible.

Challenges activated!

I'm glad to see they're keeping the Finds & Challenges Completed count separate. Hmmm, lessee how this works...

Any challenges in Gauteng yet? I am thinking of creating one... Now where is that thing called a GPS..?

It seems that we cannot publish challenges in South Africa? :sad: Or am I just missing something? :huh:

Works fine in SA. I just published a challenge in Nelspruit.

Search on "Nelspruit, South Africa" and you should see it.

Newlands Spring has been changed to a Photo Challenge

http://www.geocachin...w.aspx?cx=CX6CE

It doesn't tell you who created them which is a bit odd. Also, I wonder if they will ever turn up in the normal search list.

Yes this is so far from a Virtual Cache that I can't undestand why GS said they were bringing back Virtuals when clearly they weren't

Two biggest disappointments - no real proof needed and since no one owns a challenge (you can;t even see who issued the challenge) there would be no opportunity for a CO to delete false logs

Also absolutely no moderation can only lead to tears and heartache and polarization for all - just wait - this will not last long in its current format is my prediction.

Having said that I am going to be going for the "honour" of completing SA's first challenge at Newlands Spring. I shall complete this challenge within 90 minutes from now - hopefully the first is SA! I might complete Follow Your Nose in Obs too! Its not a sure thing as you have to find Colin first!

Trev

Hi guys... On the newsletter it said u can download a free app for Challenge caches. But we can't find this for the iPhone and we r not certain if we need the app to do the Challenge. We can view the challenges caches in Stockholm where we r currently but we r not certain if we r missing something. Any advice and help will be greatly appreciated!! Greetings from GEO936

As far as I can tell, Tara & John were the first cachers to complete a Geocaching Challenge in South Africa (http://coord.info/CX70, logged at 10:45 today). Where else are these challenges? There doesn't seem to be a way to search for all challenges in the country. I'm aware of three in Cape Town, one in Pretoria, one in Jo'burg, one in Nelspruit and one in Grahamstown. Any others?

As far as I can tell, Tara & John were the first cachers to complete a Geocaching Challenge in South Africa (http://coord.info/CX70, logged at 10:45 today). Where else are these challenges? There doesn't seem to be a way to search for all challenges in the country. I'm aware of three in Cape Town, one in Pretoria, one in Jo'burg, one in Nelspruit and one in Grahamstown. Any others?

Well that wasn't our intention, but if true that would be nice! We were going along the road for another reason and just decided to stop.

Kissed a frog and then realised how silly <_< that was and took it out - will only attempt challenges that resemble virtual caches in future and not just push up the found count! :huh: :huh:

Agreed. I'm not keen on doing the "Worldwide" challenges. If I don't need a GPS for a challenge, I probably won't do it.

Hi guys... On the newsletter it said u can download a free app for Challenge caches. But we can't find this for the iPhone and we r not certain if we need the app to do the Challenge. We can view the challenges caches in Stockholm where we r currently but we r not certain if we r missing something. Any advice and help will be greatly appreciated!! Greetings from GEO936

If you search as per normal search on your profile page from your home location it gives you a link at the top of the search which allows you to "Search for Challenges around this location". That may solve your problem

I have created a challenge and looged one too - experience pretty lame in my opinion.

The challenge shoudl state who put it up. On my profile page I can see that I am the one that posted a challenge bu no one else can. I presume a challenger does receive a notification of challenge acceptances and completions.

On your stats page it says found/completed - so it would be nice if it gave you the split - then it would be cool as you could see a persons real caches compared to these lame challenges.

Having said that some of the challenges the local boys/girls have put out seem quite interesting and fun - think specifically of the Moses Madbida one in Durban.

The search facility is pretty crap - I put in South Africa and it can;t find any near South Africa!!!!! Surely it should be able to return some sort of list.

I also flagged a few caches as unplayable by mistake - I searched for Johannesberg instead of Johannesburg and got 5 German caches which I thought were spam challenges - did not notice the actual coordinates were in the North until too late!!! I can;t see a way to unflag the cache and take back my report. I guess they will look at location and discount count my flagging as irrelevant.

This is not going to get me out of bed early to try and be the first to find so to speak - I did make an effort to complete one and be the first but I see I was beaten by someones in Jhb.

Like the famous TP thread - ignore if its not your cup of tea but this will surely bring joy and hours of entertainment to some - even if not in the way Groundspeak intended!!!!!

Let the good times roll.

So who is up for a moonlight stroll up Lions Head on 12 September - the next full moon!

Trev

The search facility is pretty crap - I put in South Africa and it can;t find any near South Africa!!!!! Surely it should be able to return some sort of list.

I agree with that 100%

This is not going to get me out of bed early to try and be the first to find so to speak - I did make an effort to complete one and be the first but I see I was beaten by someones in Jhb.

This was also my impression, but we were going to a place that we have been to many times before and even logged a geocache here. I assume you've been to the Newlands Spring before?

So who is up for a moonlight stroll up Lions Head on 12 September - the next full moon!

This might be a bit more fun, I'm interested to see what you think after doing something new

If I search in JHB it gives me two challenges, neither of which are found yet. Link to the JHB one you are refering to please?

challenge = virtual = *facepalm*

i've done two of the worldwide ones, the cito idea is kind of cool. But yeah, not so much for me. If this pics appeared in your gallery, one could tell who posted challenges, and other aspects change it might prove interesting. Given the outcry in the 'improve' forum, I feel kind of bad for Groundspeak.

Many other changes made I'm less than fond of, like losing dates in the logs and the added avatars.

I'm stoaked that they are keeping the finds separate... I would be much happier if the challenges actually involved finding a GEOCACHE! Something like the idea I posted on the feedback forum... Maybe they will incorporate this?

You're missing the point. These are not like the other challenge caches, which require you to find several caches in order to find cache. These will no doubt remain as a twist on puzzle and or multi caches for now.

These "Challenges" are GCs compromise to the overwhelming request to bring back virtual caches.... the whole concept of which is to not have a container, and are ideal for high muggle areas and or places of interest where hiding a physical container would be difficult if not completely impossible.

Oh... I see your point... My bad...

I have only ever done one virtual (and that was to clear the territory). Not a major fan. To me if you want a cache in a busy tourist spot it just calls for a better, invisible container! Whahahaha...

But yes... These could be fun with some tweaking - I will watch and see what GC.com does with it... B)

Trev

Can a Blue Bull come along for a stroll under the full moon?

By then we could very well be out of the Currie Cup. :laughing:

I can never predict work schedules with much accuracy but if the call roster smiles upon me I will ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE! :)

Many other changes made I'm less than fond of, like losing dates in the logs and the added avatars.

Dates are in the top right corner of the logs.

Sorry, a bit OT

They had converted them to 'about a day ago' but returned them to normal today due to overwhelming user feedback.

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/2170437-bring-log-date-back-please?ref=title

They also made the avatars smaller, to better fit the size of most logs.

The new world wide challenges GS is putting out are getting better. There are tweaks I'd prefer, but I can see how these will accomplish some of the aims of virtuals, with added bonuses. I think they might just turn into something pretty cool, despite my initial reaction.

Sorry, a bit OT

They had converted them to 'about a day ago' but returned them to normal today due to overwhelming user feedback.

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/2170437-bring-log-date-back-please?ref=title

They also made the avatars smaller, to better fit the size of most logs.

The new world wide challenges GS is putting out are getting better. There are tweaks I'd prefer, but I can see how these will accomplish some of the aims of virtuals, with added bonuses. I think they might just turn into something pretty cool, despite my initial reaction.

Wow, that must have been quick. I didn't even see the first version of the changes. Glad they did that, date is much better. I don't personally know anyone not bright enough to figure out about how long ago a date was :)

Sounds like it could be fun... and just enough time to make it an event as well, if you are feeling so inclined. Then we can also get a REAL smiley too :rolleyes:

Making it an Event sounds like a brilliant plan...

Then even the Non-Forum-Readers will get to know about it...

The more the merrier....

Sounds like it could be fun... and just enough time to make it an event as well, if you are feeling so inclined. Then we can also get a REAL smiley too :rolleyes:

Making it an Event sounds like a brilliant plan...

Then even the Non-Forum-Readers will get to know about it...

The more the merrier....

Ok An event it shall be then - I'll just have to get some more info of the exact moon rise times - becasue the earlier we cn do it the better - also safety first - there have been a number of muggings so we will need to meet at the car park and leave as a group.

Trev

Trev,

By definition, Full moon rises as the sun sets. that's what makes it full ;) no need to look up the time of moonrise if its "full moon day".

Thanks

According to the calendar I checked the sunset is 18h00

I have created the event and it is in the review queue!

Look out for GC32P9N, Lunacy, Lycanthropy and Licentiousness soon!

Trev