Geocaching Help

My little brother really does not like geocaching, but I really love it. I try to get him to come with me, but all he does is argue his way out of it. I try to explain that if he would give it a chance, he would love it, but he just absolutely hates it for some reason. He refuses to go to meet n greet events and won't even get out of the car for a 1/1 light post park n grab. What can I do to get him to come with me?

My little brother really does not like geocaching, but I really love it. I try to get him to come with me, but all he does is argue his way out of it. I try to explain that if he would give it a chance, he would love it, but he just absolutely hates it for some reason. He refuses to go to meet n greet events and won't even get out of the car for a 1/1 light post park n grab. What can I do to get him to come with me?

Question: Has he tried it?

How old is he? Take him to a cache outing he might enjoy. A hike near a fishing stream, and bring your poles. Instead of a restaurant type event, try a picnic, or camping, or paddling event. Do some caching on a bike trail. Find what he enjoys, and spend quality time together. Taking your brother to lamp post caches is like asking him to play in traffic. :o.

Question: Has he tried it?

He has tried it, but for some reason he just does not like it.

How old is he? Take him to a cache outing he might enjoy. A hike near a fishing stream, and bring your poles. Instead of a restaurant type event, try a picnic, or camping, or paddling event. Do some caching on a bike trail. Find what he enjoys, and spend quality time together. Taking your brother to lamp post caches is like asking him to play in traffic. :o.

He is 12. I do try to do that, I'll say

"hey, do you want to go ride bikes and do a couple geocaches along the way?"

but as soon as he hears "geocaches" he says "nope!"

ASk him if he wants to go for a bike ride. Then when you are on your bikes, tell him you want to stop and grab a cache. Tell him "Bet I can find it before you!" And watch the competition begin! :) To make it fair, you both look at the GPS together, and then put it away to search. Just don't get so competitive that you draw the attention of muggles.

hit him with a brick... :laughing:

Some people just don't get it, that's how it goes

I've explained Geocaching to a few of my peers and get mixed reactions

some go :huh: some go :) and some go :blink:

I have been called a "dork" by a few of them... but I had a brick handy that day, so it wasn't a problem :anibad:

lol

I have 13 and 12 years old sons with VERRRRY different personalities, and both of them like doing it

Good Luck

Edited by z0mbieCache

Take his bicycle and go and hide it. Then set it up as a geocache. When he is looking for his bike tell them a cache just posted and the first to find gets a bike. I bet he will be in a hurry to get it. Should he not get it at least someone who enjoys caching gets a bike. You can ask that cacher to go caching with you. I call that a win/win situation!!!!

(Note)The above paragraph is for comedy purposes only, in no way does Ash McCloud really believe you should still a bike and hide it as a geocache!!

Edited by Ash McCloud

Take his bicycle and go and hide it. Then set it up as a geocache. When he is looking for his bike tell them a cache just posted and the first to find gets a bike. I bet he will be in a hurry to get it. Should he not get it at least someone who enjoys caching gets a bike. You can ask that cacher to go caching with you. I call that a win/win situation!!!!

Better yet, set up a puzzle or multi so he has to find a few other caches first to get the final coordinates to his bike!

As stated above, some folks just never will get it...most folks, probably...

Also remember that geocaching isn't for everyone. Encourage as much as you can. Extoll the benefits. But in the end, you can't make someone enjoy something.

I am with you on this. After a couple of tries and he doesn't respond maybe you should ask him what he wants to do and do that with him. He does have the same rights to determine what you do together as you right? It isn't a one way street is it?

Hiding his bike and making him find it as a cache is a horrible idea. That idea could only lead to him being even more alienated from this hobby and you. Every one seems to think this hobby should be loved by everybody and the world is waiting to do it. Not true.

Maybe he just really doesn't like it.

If someone actually does not like something, there isn't really any way you could make them like it. And while you may think he will like something if he tries it, that doesn't mean he really will. I've heard that myself more then a few times with people trying to convince me to do something they think I would like. And if I haven't tried it, I might try it. (Though there are things I have no intention of ever trying.) But if I have tried it and don't like it, then telling me I'll like it isn't going to change anything. :)

It is of course possible that at some point he may change his mind and decide he's interested in it, but that's really up to him.

It isn't for everyone. I'm sure that he likes some things that you don't.

And to be honest I wouldn't get out of the car for an LPC either.

Hey. Don't worry about it. My sister is the exact same way.

Also remember that geocaching isn't for everyone. Encourage as much as you can. Extoll the benefits. But in the end, you can't make someone enjoy something.

I am with you on this. After a couple of tries and he doesn't respond maybe you should ask him what he wants to do and do that with him. He does have the same rights to determine what you do together as you right? It isn't a one way street is it?

Hiding his bike and making him find it as a cache is a horrible idea. That idea could only lead to him being even more alienated from this hobby and you. Every one seems to think this hobby should be loved by everybody and the world is waiting to do it. Not true.

Walt I am sure that it would not alienate him. He needs to be forced to enjoy caching. Why in the world would you think that would make him mad? Stealing and hiding is the best way to bring family members together.