What GPS units are compatible with Wherigo?

Park-it

In addition to the Colorado and Oregon, there are several older pocket pc/gpsr combinations that support Wherigo. Garmin dropped support for Wherigo with the 62 and Montana, and now for some reason seems more interested in promoting chirps. It seems to me that other gps manufacturers would be wise to pick it up.

The real future of Wherigo seems to be in the phone apps for various platforms, so if you have an alternative means of playing the cartridges perhaps it would be less of a factor in the choice of a handheld.

Edited by geodarts

hi everyone, We have a Garmin nuvi 255W and wondering if anyone else has used this for Wherigo caches? How do we do this???? ours did not come with a manual and I am less than computer/electronics saavy! Any help appreciated! Also, does anyone know if a Motorola smartphone by Verizon would work??

The Garmin Nuvi 255w does not have the ability to upload third party software, so it is incapable of doing Wherigos. For a manual, check the Garmin site here. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=13431&ra=true#nuvi255W

What kind of smartphone do you have? Wheryougo works on Android devices. I believe there is a Windows device Wherigo as well.

Edited by TomToad

The Garmin Nuvi 255w does not have the ability to upload third party software, so it is incapable of doing Wherigos. For a manual, check the Garmin site here. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=13431&ra=true#nuvi255W

What kind of smartphone do you have? Wheryougo works on Android devices. I believe there is a Windows device Wherigo as well.

Yes, third party, unofficial Android player. I've heard the same for Iphone. Now for Windows, there is an official Groundspeak app. But this is only for WINDOWS MOBILE devices. In otherwords OLD ones. This includes PocketPC, as well as phones. This platform has been abandoned by Microsoft, and was replaced with the WindowsPhone7 in October, 2010. This app will absolutely not work on WindowsPhone7, which is incompatible with Windows Mobile.

I know that this will probably upset a few Wherigo fans but honestly;

Now that you can no longer purchase a GPSr that supports Wherigo, perhaps Groundspeak should kill them off like Garmin has.

Unless I missed the memo you can still buy the Garmin Oregon. Just because a GPS is no longer for sales doesn't mean that it mustn't be used. Also more devices than GPSrs that support Wherigo.

It's disappointing that development of Wherigo by Groundspeak has ground to a halt. Perhaps a better option would be to either release the code to the public domain or spin-off/sell Wherigo as/to another company.