Repairing somebody's geocache?

Davvvy

I came across a geocache in a park that is nothing more than a platic baggy with a soaked log in it, The original container is nowhere to be seen. It has been this way for months and nobody has fixed it. I tried to contact the owner but haven't heard back. Do you think its alright to give this cache a new container and log? I don't want the person getting mad that I fixed it, but I don't see them coming to rescue it anytime soon.

Generally if its just a baggie like that then the container either got stolen or lost. Chances are someone came along and rather then logging a DNF threw down a plastic bag with a piece of paper to claim the find.

Best thing to do is check the logs online. If a needs maintenance has been filed and has been there for a while then you should log a Needs Archiving. If there is no NM log then log one and give the owner a chance to fix the problem. But it seems the cache has been abandoned and just need to be archived. No since in fixing it up if the owner isn't active anymore. If you like the location then once its archived you can place your own cache there and submit a new listing.

I came across a geocache in a park that is nothing more than a platic baggy with a soaked log in it, The original container is nowhere to be seen. It has been this way for months and nobody has fixed it. I tried to contact the owner but haven't heard back. Do you think its alright to give this cache a new container and log? I don't want the person getting mad that I fixed it, but I don't see them coming to rescue it anytime soon.

Do you mean the Christmas Tree cache? That has 8 maintenance logs going back to November 2009. The COs logged in Aug 1 2011 (15 days ago) so they're still active but they appear to be ignoring that cache. Personally, I'd log a 'Needs Archiving' log and I'd say "Needs reviewer attention. All that's left is a baggie and a soaked log. The NM logs go back to November 2009." BTW, 'Needs Maintenance' logs do not alert Reviewers, a 'Needs Archiving' log will alert the Reviewer who will contact the cache owners and push them to maintain their cache or archive it so others can plant in the area. It's the responsibility of the cache owner to maintain their cache. If you replace it, they can continue to place and abandon caches with no consequence. If you don't want to post a NA, then scroll to the bottom of the logs where you will see the Reviewer's name.....Sapience Trek and contact him privately.

Edited by Lone R

Generally if its just a baggie like that then the container either got stolen or lost. Chances are someone came along and rather then logging a DNF threw down a plastic bag with a piece of paper to claim the find.

Best thing to do is check the logs online. If a needs maintenance has been filed and has been there for a while then you should log a Needs Archiving. If there is no NM log then log one and give the owner a chance to fix the problem. But it seems the cache has been abandoned and just need to be archived. No since in fixing it up if the owner isn't active anymore. If you like the location then once its archived you can place your own cache there and submit a new listing.

+1000

Nothing wrong with carrying spare logs to help out a fellow cacher. But I don't think it helps anyone when we replace containers or otherwise do major maintenance for COs who don't appear to be willing to do their own maintenance.

Do you mean the Christmas Tree cache? That has 8 maintenance logs going back to November 2009. The COs logged in Aug 1 2011 (15 days ago) so they're still active but they appear to be ignoring that cache. Personally, I'd log a 'Needs Archiving' log and I'd say "Needs reviewer attention. All that's left is a baggie and a soaked log. The NM logs go back to November 2009." BTW, 'Needs Maintenance' logs do not alert Reviewers, a 'Needs Archiving' log will alert the Reviewer who will contact the cache owners and push them to maintain their cache or archive it so others can plant in the area. It's the responsibility of the cache owner to maintain their cache. If you replace it, they can continue to place and abandon caches with no consequence. If you don't want to post a NA, then scroll to the bottom of the logs where you will see the Reviewer's name.....Sapience Trek and contact him privately.

Nah, Its Maida Drive Brat Pack Its apparently just been a sheet of paper and a log since June 6th.

I let sapiance know.

I tried to place a cache in the same park today but it wound up being to close to the one that needs repairs... Doh. I tried getting as far away as I could without leaving the park too. Guess I need to go back to move it. If that other cache wasn't right in the middle it would be perfect.

Actually, I enjoy repairing caches. While we all know that it is ultimately the cache owners responsibility to maintain the cache, assisting a cache owner with maintenance helps with the comaraderie of geocachers. While I can understand if someone wants to place a cache that is occupied by a NM cache, they should report a NA on that cache, when I am caching, I want to make sure the cache is better than when I found it. There are a myriad of reasons why a CO may not or cannot maintain a cache. My mother had many caches, some very popular, and she passed away last year. Geocahing.com will not allow me to take ownership of the caches, some with hundreds of finds, so I maintain them in honor of my mother. After she died, I had to move from Colorado to California, and I appreciate folks who maintain my Colorado caches. There are no other cachers that lived within ten miles of me so it is difficult to find someone to adopt them.

Therefore, unless you want to place your own cache in the area, repairing the cache helps our hobby. It does not make the CO lazy, the CO is already lazy or UNABLE to maintain the cache, such as me regarding my caches a thousand miles from me.

We have helped out by changing a log here and there or redoing a tape job that has become weather worn. Our biggest thing is at that point a CO should at the least mark a maintenance done so that the NM disappears. So I guess our thing is if the CO is still active and life has just not allowed them to get out to that cache, then helping out fellow CO's is OK. If a CO is no longer active then it should get a NA post so that a active/responsible CO can place a cache. I am thinking there should be a limit on NM logs, if they have not been corrected in some way with in 30day (or whatever time frame GS decided to do) then they should automatically be archived. I have seen some caches in our area that have had NM logs on them for over a year with numerous NM logs added and nothing ever done.