Water resistant bag for GPS

I use a camera bag for mine. It's clear and has a locking seal. It either came from Dicks or Walmart, under $5. It has lasted all summer and has withstood my river stupidity very well. It's also smart to put one of those boat key chain floaty things on it. I don't know if the gps will float or not but I'm not willing to place a bet on it. :-)

That's the only item I'm bringing with me for this trip.

Don't forget your pen. :)

Shoot you're right... I usually either stuff those down my shirt or stuff them in my ponytail but I could fit a pencil in the bag as well. I would that double bagging if I can't find an official dry bag would be tolerable for a short swim could even bring extra bags if needed in that configuration possibly...

That's the only item I'm bringing with me for this trip.

Don't forget your pen. :)

Shoot you're right... I usually either stuff those down my shirt or stuff them in my ponytail but I could fit a pencil in the bag as well. I would that double bagging if I can't find an official dry bag would be tolerable for a short swim could even bring extra bags if needed in that configuration possibly...

These suggestions will all work for a one-time thing. If you are on the water more frequently, many of the "cell phone dry bags" will easily accommodate your GPSr and a pen. Our GPSr floats so we put the cell phone in the dry bag :)

Or, instead of swimming, you could use the technique I used before I bought a kayak:

ab20ee44-f900-469a-b98b-bbca62f25ad2.jpg

I use a camera bag for mine. It's clear and has a locking seal. It either came from Dicks or Walmart, under $5. It has lasted all summer and has withstood my river stupidity very well. It's also smart to put one of those boat key chain floaty things on it. I don't know if the gps will float or not but I'm not willing to place a bet on it. :-)

I was kinda joking when I said peanut butter jar but I'd be willing to bet that it would float with a GPS in it.

Oh geez good idea about the peanut butter jar. I can tie it up and drag it. I know where I'm going to hop back on the island when I get there. It's going to be a real quick swim all in all. Probably less than 10 minutes. I considered trying to double bag in ziplocks.

Don't forget to eat the peanut butter first :D

It's a one time deal at this point for the swim there and back. It comes down to me being a stronger swimmer than climber and either way gets you to this cache.

First, I used to have a Garmin 76Cx which, I believe, had the same water resistance rating (and identical electronics). I kayaked with it many times with it strapped to deck rolled with it on the deck a bunch of time. I never had a problem with the unit. The 76 models also allegedly float (it's in the specs) but I never tried it.

As someone else mentioned you can get drybags designed for cell phones and gps devices. They're typically much more expensive that other, larger drybags. However, some of these drybags allow you to operate *buttons* on a phone/gps without taking it out of the bag. If that's not a requirement, get one that is a bit larger that you could throw your wallet, and even a set of dry clothes into it. They're really useful and I've met a sea kayaker that (before she started kayaking) used dry bags specifically for swimming around rocky points in Hawaii to spend the night on a secluded beach.

Sealline makes a wide selection of dry bags.

It's a one time deal at this point for the swim there and back. It comes down to me being a stronger swimmer than climber and either way gets you to this cache.

First, I used to have a Garmin 76Cx which, I believe, had the same water resistance rating (and identical electronics). I kayaked with it many times with it strapped to deck rolled with it on the deck a bunch of time. I never had a problem with the unit. The 76 models also allegedly float (it's in the specs) but I never tried it.

As someone else mentioned you can get drybags designed for cell phones and gps devices. They're typically much more expensive that other, larger drybags. However, some of these drybags allow you to operate *buttons* on a phone/gps without taking it out of the bag. If that's not a requirement, get one that is a bit larger that you could throw your wallet, and even a set of dry clothes into it. They're really useful and I've met a sea kayaker that (before she started kayaking) used dry bags specifically for swimming around rocky points in Hawaii to spend the night on a secluded beach.

Sealline makes a wide selection of dry bags.

I tipped our canoe over a couple of years ago and found out firsthand that our 76Cx floats. We were busy trying to save the food and other supplies but luckily our friends in the other canoe spotted my gpsr floating by them and saved it.

The 60 series models are water resistant but they don't float. That being the case, i would at least place it in a heavier duty baggie such as freezer bag, or peanut butter size and type jar, or otter type dry box, or mounted on it's own flotation device. Oh, and be sure it's tethered to you somehow..

I was kinda joking when I said peanut butter jar but I'd be willing to bet that it would float with a GPS in it.

Actually, that is an excellent idea. I am going on a caching/kayak run this coming weekend. The peanut butter jar would also protect it from bumping on rocks if it did get away from me. Only question is... can fish have peanut allergies?

Actually, that is an excellent idea. I am going on a caching/kayak run this coming weekend. The peanut butter jar would also protect it from bumping on rocks if it did get away from me. Only question is... can fish have peanut allergies?

I think you should be more worried about how you're gonna get all that peanut butter off the GPS again!

I think you should be more worried about how you're gonna get all that peanut butter off the GPS again!

97d1106878053-jelq-on-tongue-bigtongue.jpg

Oh geez good idea about the peanut butter jar. I can tie it up and drag it. I know where I'm going to hop back on the island when I get there. It's going to be a real quick swim all in all. Probably less than 10 minutes. I considered trying to double bag in ziplocks.

Don't bet the integrity of your GPSr on double ziplocks and IPX7 waterproofness. A friend of mine ruined his Oregon while scuba diving at 4.5 meters deep, and he double ziplocked it, too.

Use a clear, waterproof container that floats, and drag it after yourself. Better safe than sorry!

Don't bet the integrity of your GPSr on double ziplocks and IPX7 waterproofness. A friend of mine ruined his Oregon while scuba diving at 4.5 meters deep, and he double ziplocked it, too.

Use a clear, waterproof container that floats, and drag it after yourself. Better safe than sorry!

At 4.5 meters, you have pressure building up inside the bag which will quickly blow the seal on the baggie. Not surprising in the least.

At 4.5 meters, you have pressure building up inside the bag which will quickly blow the seal on the baggie. Not surprising in the least.

Yup. There are certain drypacks that are designed for scuba use and actually work as intended (tried it myself, just with a car key, not with a GPS (why do you even take a GPS on a scuba dive?), but yeah, it stayed bone dry), but ziplocks are definitely not. And IPX7 doesn't even remotely suggest that it holds up against 4.5 m of water.

Edited by dfx

IPX7 = 1 Meter for 30 minutes.

4.5 Meters is WAY beyond the waterproofing that was advertised.