Starting with iPhone 3GS and Geocache Free App

epie

Hello,

I am brand new to geocaching and using what I have available which is a iPhone 3GS. I downloaded the free Geocaching app to get a feel and went out on my first hunt today. I thought the app was going to take me to the prize but once I got to withing 30-40' the compass starting pointing in a different direction and tols me I was 150' away. So I started heading in the other direction and then suddenly the compass turned me around again and changed my distance. So as a newbie, my question is this normal for the app to work this way or is the iPhone 3GS just not a good tool. Needless to say I was unsuccessful today. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

epie

I have a 3gs that I sometimes use with the full Groundspeak app or geosphere. There are definitely a few limitations in caching with the 3gs, but it can be done in way that I hope you will find fun.

When I am out in the open, the 3gs will usually get me pretty close. There are many caches where I have followed the unit to within five feet of the location. But even in these situations, it can take a few minutes for the 3gs to settle in. When you turn on the iphone, its position is determined more by triangulation of the cell phone towers than satellite reception. Look at the map - is the 3gs reporting your actual location?

I have seen people on trails, using a 3gs, and heading in the opposite direction from the cache. However, by the time they get to the cache location, the gps has settled in and the app reports that they are within a few feet. So giving the iphone time is important. Open space can help.

I work in a city that has many tall buildings that can play havoc with any gpsr reception. There are times when the iphone puts me blocks away from where I am. I am not sure how the free app handles navigation, but with the full app, I pay close attention to the map showing me the cache location. Sometimes the satellite views are helpful. This can be more reliable than the compass.

At best, the 3gs generally reports an estimated accuracy of 55 feet. This does not have much meaning, but it can give some indication about how good the signal might be. In general, the 3gs should get you to the general area. Keep in mind that any commercial gpsr will have a measure of error, and with the 3gs you have to expect this. Therefore, once you get in the general area it can be important start to look around. Pay close attention to the cache description and any hint.

It takes some time to get used to how caches are hidden, and some of the smaller hides can be tricky. But ask yourselves where would you put a particular hide. If the cache description says it is magnetic, that will limit the options. If it is a larger container, that too might limit the options. Look for things that are slightly out of place.

Different areas often have different styles of hides. And caching in urban environments is different than being out on a trail In my city, you could find magnetic keyholders; very small magnetic containers about the size of a fingernail (nanos); small plastic boxes; altoid size containers; and the like. If you go out on the trail, the caches could be larger -- plastic containers or ammo cans are common around here.

If you can do so with the free app, try to look for caches that are larger and rated as being easier to find. That will give you a start in figuring out how caches are commonly hidden.

Edited by geodarts

First thing you need to know is the Free app sucks and is nothing like the paid app.

Second the 3Gs is known to be a bit inaccurate when compared to newer smartphones and dedicated GPSrs.

One thing you need to know is no GPSr will land you directly on the cache. Is only going to get you within about 20 feet of the cache. Since the person who placed the cache could be off by about 10 feet and your unit can also be off by about 10 feet you have to account for +/-20 feet of error. So once inside that 20 foot area stop looking at your unit and start looking for possible hiding places.

In the beginning you will have lots of trouble finding caches so its good to stick with caches that have a low difficulty lvl (1-2) and are small to regular sized caches. After a while you will start to pick up on the more common methods of hiding these sized cashes. So don't give up if you can only find 1 out of 5 you try for in a day. I logged 7 or 8 DNFs before finding my first.

The iPhone 3GS is an okay caching tool...the accuracy of the 4 is better, but the the 3GS does have a GPS chip (unlike the 3 before it which relied solely on cell tower triangulation to get a fix)

The most important thing to remember is that any GPS device is only going to get you so close...it will very seldom put you right on top of the cache. Even the best devices have a margin of error measured in yards, not inches. Once you get to where the pointer starts bouncing around like that, put it away and start looking for likely hiding spots. Caches, by their very nature, are usually very sneakily hidden...the GPS is not going to find if for you, you'll have to start learning what to look for.

I used this analogy the other day....A pilot relies on his instruments only to get him to the airport, after that it's up to him to land the plane :)

If you start getting into this, you might also consider purchasing the full app. The free app is really only an introduction to Geocaching, the paid app is a real functional caching tool. $10 sounds like a lot for an app but if you end up doing any serious Geocaching it's a bargain.

The iPhone 3GS and the 3G have horrible gps chips ounce I got the iPhone 4 back when it was released I was amazed how much better the gps chip is inside with a iPhone 4 u will get about 16 feet to the spot 30 ft about the worst u will see if possible upgrade your phone or buy a dedicated gpsr u wi enjoy it alot more I just started and I'm hooked already ;)

Thansk everyone for your great advice. This really is a great community. I should have added that the first cache I went for was rated "small" but fairly easy. It was just diapoointing that 225 found and 5 didn't and I couldn't get it first time out but lots of words of wisdom here. I am wondering if I would get a little closer with my Tom Tom GPS. However this was a but of a wooded area as well. I'll probably start with the software upgrade and go from there as I don't plan on upgrading my phone for at least another 6-9 months.

I am new to Geocaching and have been using Iphone 3gs and free app.

It seems to work really well most times, in fact it put me right on top a few of my finds.

If it starts to go wonky back off and give it a minute to settle and go at it again.

It's no real GPSr but it will get you started as it has done for me.

I am also using a 3GS but have now paid for the official app. I have found it ok so far, I have found that the phone sometimes sends me in the wrong direction, and it changes around quite a bit but I find if I give it a bit more time it generally settles. I have managed to find 21 of about 26 so far so not bad in terms of stats for a newbie. It seems to get me close enough to most of them to find. I never tried the free app but I would suggest upgrading and giving it another try.