IGD A Toast to Geocaching

wavector

I would like you all to consider joining us in a Toast to Geocaching.

Here in Southern Alberta we are going to hike to a mountaintop where we will use reconstituted Gatorade powder to make a toast to geocaching.

The elevation of our toast is 8102 feet above sea level, it is a Terrain 4 Event.

Please consider joining us on the first International Geocaching Day by making your own Toast to Geocaching at your IGD event and posting a picture of your group on the IGD at Cameron LO cache page.

Here is the webpage for the IGD at Cameron LO

Please post a picture of your group toasting geocaching on International Geocaching Day.

I will award a Red Shirt Edition of the Brass Cap geocoin to the geocacher who posts the photo I like the most.

I will award one 2010 Attendee Version of the Brass Cap Geocoin to the geocacher who posts the picture I like second most.

I will award one Retail Brass Cap Geocoin to the geocacher who posts the picture I like third most.

I will randomly award two of avroair's Chess geocoins by drawing a name from all those who post who didn`t win one of the above prizes.

Try to include your event name, GC code, elev, toasting drink, time of toast or any other detail which might interest other geocachers.

Our toast will happen at 12:00PM (that is high noon) Canadian Rocky Mountain Standard Time (MST).

If you can coordinate your toast to our toast we will celebrate geocaching from the top of the world down to sea level, maybe even lower if those attending events in Holland participate!!

We are also hiding a Brass Cap Time Capsule that will stay hidden until 2019 (or thereabouts). I will inlcude email from any geocacher anywhere in the world. If you want to write a letter to future geocachers, send me an email using my profile on geocaching.com and it will be included.

Please join us in a Toast to Geocaching on August 20, 2011 at 12:00 Noon MST

Please post your pictures on the GC30TD0 cache page.

Thank You for considering doing this.

Edited by wavector

Is International Geocaching Day a Halmark holiday, something recognized outside the caching community or just something dreamed up by Groundspeak? :unsure:

I thought it was something dreamed up by Hallmark on behalf of Groundspeak, the caching community has no choice in the matter because it is kind of like "simon says Saturday is International Geocaching Day" instead of "Saturday is International Geocaching Day".

In any event (or at every event as the case may be) we will be using Gatorade because it is totally synthetic and non-alcoholic and not likely to cause an allergic reaction and it travels well.

Actually many Alberta geocachers know that the champagne that Don (Sleepy_hollow) uses to toast a successful back country day is Gatorade. It is a friendly drink and helpful if you have spent the day caching with Don.

This is a story about on of my days caching with Don...

My Brass Cap Adventure

The IGD at Cameron LO is dovetailed to the Brass Cap Convention II because a lot of Brass Caps are on mountain tops. The rteasure hunt at the IGD is actually Brass Cap 238 - Mount Burke.

So how are you celebrating Riffster?

So tell me. Who made it "International Geocaching Day" and under what authority? I mean was it a U.N. resolution or what?

I found this on the Groundspeak Block Party Event page. There's more about in the mega event forums.

The 2011 Block Party will be on August 20th from 11 am to 3 pm. This is the third Saturday of August, which will be the first International Geocaching Day!

So tell me. Who made it "International Geocaching Day" and under what authority? I mean was it a U.N. resolution or what?

I am not sure that Urban Nano's have a direct relationship to Gatorade.

The people going to the Block Party are going to have the most fun, we will have to have the second most I guess!

Here is what our tee-shirt will look like

bccii_back_tee_ab3l.jpg

Here is the Red Shirt Edition of the Brass Cap Geocoin

brass_cap_geocoin_red_shirt_edition_pic_wb_iy2s.jpg

So please join us in a Toast to Geocaching, you could win one of these beautiful geocoins.

Reconstituted Gatorade powder?

BLEAAAAHHHH!

What kind of 'toast' is that?

Asti Spumante for me...or nothing!

As long as you make a Toast to Geocaching and post a picture I will consider it for a prize. Purple Gatorade has a distinct edge over other beverages.

Do you know how many people die each year in alcohol related accidents yet only a few winning coaches drown in Gatorade each year and they are always at their happiest moment when it happens.

Water weighs about ten lbs a gallon so no one wants to haul that up the mountain. I am bringing a little thermos of coffee.

My two sons (16 and 13) are going with us so I can ask them to carry things, young and fit as they are!

I am going to look for plastic wine glasses to hold the Gatorade so people can imagine they are drinking Asti Spumante, Dom Perignon, Veuve Cliquot or other similar beverages.

For Alberta geocachers considering showing up for the Brass Cap Convention II, remember it is a Day Use Area in Provincial Recreation Area, alcohol use is prohibited.

Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to poo-poo the idea. Sounds like harmless fun. But I am curious as to how it came to be. Who had the bright idea and who did they get to sanction it? How does one go about getting any "international" day sanctioned?

I am sure we will have fun!

I think it is a great idea.

A single day where everyone celebrates geocaching all over the world.

There is only one place such an idea could have originated.... in the mind of a lackey.

They only needed one person (who will remain nameless) to sanction the idea and whooooeee, away we all go.

So are you going to drink a Toast to Geocaching on August 20th, 2011.

I understand that Moammar Qaddafi is not invovled in the plan and refuses to sanction the idea, what a spoilsport.

We got the message over here in Holland!

Just bought me three bottles of a harmless orange drink. (That color is very opposite for us Dutch)

It can be diluted with water...well over 50 attendees will mean over 100 people. I'm not that rich I can afford real champagne. :P

Now I have to figure out what will be the best time to get many people as close to your time as possible.

Our event will be First International Geoca(t)ching Day.

Too bad Groundspeak rejected the idea for a special icon because of lack of time, but be sure to vote for one for next year already:SIGD icon

And of course: Have a lot of fun! We intend to. :)

That is great Ducthlandian.

I will vote on the special icon for next year, a day that celebrates geocaching is a great idea and an icon for that annual celebration seems like a natural fit.

I have published a new cache called "A View of the Hike" that will allow the geocachers not ascending the mountain to sit and watch the entire journey and/or join us in our toast. Toasting with Gatorade is a good choice for our family friendly activity, kids can toast along with their parents, what could be better. Both of my sons will be making the ascent.

This is the view from where those not climbing the mountain can sit and watch.

4cbb4a53-c46d-4eb0-9aa7-0c66ac2a7953.jpg

Edited by wavector

Thank you for the entries in the first International Geocaching Toast to Geocaching.

We had a great time.

Dutchlandian and StealthRT please send me your snail mail addresses.

I am going to send you guys identical prize packages that will include three geocoins each.

Thanks again for your entries and I will be doing another event for next year that will again ask people to submit pictures of themselves and the group toasting geocaching.