Groundspeak's Increase of yearly membership

It's always been $30 a year. Maybe your memory is a little faulty?

If a company kept the same yearly membership rates for a decade yet constantly increased their features and benefits, I'd storm off too.

I give your membershipcide a 0.4. You showed spirit even though it was misplaced.

Edited by Mushtang

I would like to know how, in the course of 1 year - Groundspeak can justify raising their yearly membership cost from $10 to $30.

As a Geocaching fanatic, I consider $10 to be a respective amount that is deserved for the entertainment value, and I would gladly pay said amount every year.

There has been no noticeable increase in service, or performance other than some minor changes in the mapping integration with Google Maps since the past year in which I have been a member. The Android based application provided by Groundspeak is lacking in a number of areas (Which is also an additional $10) So I know that isn't a valid reason.

So, while I enjoy the odd FTF challenge, 2 days from now, I will remain a basic member. I am by no means poor, but I know the value of my dollar. Please tell me Groundspeak - What is your justification for a 3x increase in yearly membership costs? I know I'm not alone here, now you just lost my membership.

Regrets and Regards,

David

As you are the only person I've ever heard of who has paid $10 for a year membership, I'd say yes, you are alone here.

Edited by Dinoprophet

I would like to know how, in the course of 1 year - Groundspeak can justify raising their yearly membership cost from $10 to $30.

As a Geocaching fanatic, I consider $10 to be a respective amount that is deserved for the entertainment value, and I would gladly pay said amount every year.

There has been no noticeable increase in service, or performance other than some minor changes in the mapping integration with Google Maps since the past year in which I have been a member. The Android based application provided by Groundspeak is lacking in a number of areas (Which is also an additional $10) So I know that isn't a valid reason.

So, while I enjoy the odd FTF challenge, 2 days from now, I will remain a basic member. I am by no means poor, but I know the value of my dollar. Please tell me Groundspeak - What is your justification for a 3x increase in yearly membership costs? I know I'm not alone here, now you just lost my membership.

Regrets and Regards,

David

As you are the only person I've ever heard of who has paid $10 for a year membership, I'd say yes, you are alone here.

Hmm, I swear it was $10. I'm going to review my Card. If I'm mistaken I will humbly apologize and delete this thread ;)

Hmm, I swear it was $10. I'm going to review my Card. If I'm mistaken I will humbly apologize and delete this thread ;)

You probably bought a 3 month subscription. Those are $10. I've been here for over 6 years and yearly membership has been $30 the entire time.

But will you renew?

They took away the ability to delete threads years ago. Maybe you could storm off because of that?

That is a myth. Mods do delete threads. But generally it's been commercial promotions, not embarrassing ones. :rolleyes:

But will you renew?

They took away the ability to delete threads years ago. Maybe you could storm off because of that?

That is a myth. Mods do delete threads. But generally it's been commercial promotions, not embarrassing ones. :rolleyes:
Mods can, yes. Original posters of a thread, not so much. :rolleyes:

But will you renew?

Lol, I don't mind keeping an embarrassing thread up. However I can't prove or disprove the amount charged to me as my card provider doesn't have those statements available online.

I am certain I wouldn't have paid if it was $30.

:D

But will you renew?

Mods can, yes. Original posters of a thread, not so much. :rolleyes:

We can't even lock our own threads anymore. :cry:

Then you've been paying $40 a year, $10 every 3 months.

Here is my receipt from 2007.

--------------------

Billed To:

xxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxx

United States

xxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxx Order Number: #####

Order Time: 1/11/2007 2:20:30 PM

Current Status: In Process

Payment Method:

Visa -#### $30.00

Promotional Code(s): none

Special Instructions: none

Qty SKU Product Name Unit Price

1 GSPANNUAL Groundspeak Premium Membership (1 Year)

In Process

Username to Upgrade/Renew xxxxx $30.00

SubTotal: $30.00

Tax: $0.00

Shipping: $0.00

Handling: $0.00

Gift Wrap: $0.00

Grand Total: $30.00

Please note: New Premium memberships do not automatically upgrade your username on Geocaching.com. In most cases your membership will be upgraded within 2 business days of purchase. Unlike memberships through PayPal you do not need a Subscription ID for your membership.

It used to be $30 a year or $3 a month. I think it became too expensive to process the $3 a month option, so that was changed to $10 for 3 months. So if you were paying the $3 per month and now pay $10 for 3 months, they did increase the price from $36 per year to $40 year.

Edited by tozainamboku

Lol, I don't mind keeping an embarrassing thread up. However I can't prove or disprove the amount charged to me as my card provider doesn't have those statements available online.

your credit card company may not have statements online but the internets has archives :lol:

don't be so certain, here's proof that its been $30/year even before you signed up :P

http://web.archive.org/web/20021207170212/http://www.geocaching.com/subscribe/

Edited by t4e

your credit card company may not have statements online but the internets has archives :lol:

don't be so certain, here's proof that its been $30/year even before you signed up :P

Hmm, cool t4e: I wasn't aware you could access data that far back from archives!

So I suppose I owe Groundspeak an apology. Sorry guys!

:)

Anyways life goes on.

I'd still like to know how I ended up with premium if the number I saw was $30 then. Perhaps I drunkenly mistook $30 for $10 last year ;)

Hmm, cool t4e: I wasn't aware you could access data that far back from archives!

Anyways life goes on.

I'd still like to know how I ended up with premium if the number I saw was $30 then. Perhaps I drunkenly mistook $30 for $10 last year ;)

As many others have pointed out, you probably bought the three month membership for 10.00

Either that or you purchased the phone app by mistake. :rolleyes:

Anyways life goes on.

It's a well-known fact that alcohol intake can make a stated price seem smaller.

Some times it can make other things seem larger, too. :o

BTW, I am still on the $3/month plan. :D

And by way of deliberately hijacking this thread, I wonder how may others still are?

Monthly= $2.50

Daily= $0.08219178

per hour: $0.00342466

per minute: $0.00005708

PQ's 5 per day

Year= 1,825

$0.01643836/PQ

AMOUNT OF TIME HUNTING A CACHE, SOLVING A DEVIOUS PUZZLE...(FOR ME) APPX :

52 WEEKS... On avg I cache 1 day for sure a week..sometimes more. so say 9X52=468 hours of hunting time.

3X52=156 hours working on solving them devious "?"'s

On average Summers cache almost daily 3-6 hours.. add 90X5= another 450

So on average the cost of membership only: per caching hour = 1,074 per year

That's is appx $0.027 per hour.

Yup..that membership, way to expensive!

Then I look at what I spend on cell, internet, cable,FUEL and well those are WAY MORE EXPENSIVE!

$30 annual membership less than the cost of taking the family out to dinner one time. Geocaching an activity that does the following at least for me:

1. Allows me to teach my kids to use a technology in a real world application. In addition, that technology can fail when you need it and always good to have back up plan when it does.

2. To teach them to slow down and pay attention to their environment.

3. Learn about different plants, animals & insects in real time & not just from a book.

4. To be respectful of others property.

5. To have another great activity that makes them excited to get outside & be active.

6. But most of all making great memories spending time w/ my family doing something we all love to do.

So for me even if they raised the current $30 annual fee I would gladly pay it.

Anyways life goes on.

So, throw a party, get drunk and buy another one of those $10 annual subscriptions. Problem solved!

You probably bought a 3 month subscription. Those are $10. I've been here for over 6 years and yearly membership has been $30 the entire time.

Now that you mention it... can you think of anything else that is the same price today as it was six years ago? Anything?

Now that you mention it... can you think of anything else that is the same price today as it was six years ago? Anything?

Only things immediately jumping to mind are houses in Las Vegas and Florida. I think the first Wii I bought in 2006 was like $250; it just died a couple of weeks ago and I ordered a replacement on Amazon for $150 (and it included Mario Kart!).

Outside of housing and electronics it gets harder.

Only things immediately jumping to mind are houses in Las Vegas and Florida. I think the first Wii I bought in 2006 was like $250; it just died a couple of weeks ago and I ordered a replacement on Amazon for $150 (and it included Mario Kart!).

Outside of housing and electronics it gets harder.

I think that $5 bill mentioned by the dead pirate just above also was only $5 six years ago.

Anything at the Dollar Store.

You haven't been to a Dollar Store for a while, have you? The last one I was in had prices all over the map, and not even rounded to the nearest dollar. They've gone the way of the dime stores of the past.

You haven't been to a Dollar Store for a while, have you? The last one I was in had prices all over the map, and not even rounded to the nearest dollar. They've gone the way of the dime stores of the past.

Our dollar stores are mostly still the same. But this weekend, I saw a Five Below store for the first time -- that's an up-to-$5 store.

Our dollar stores are mostly still the same. But this weekend, I saw a Five Below store for the first time -- that's an up-to-$5 store.

We have the "99 Cent Store" and "Everything's A Dollar" stores around here. Everything is literally priced .99 and $1 respectively. Great places to grab swag, btw.

I have a 5 year old son, and we're in there often to buy crap. I also go there to get snacks before going to see a movie in the theater since they sell the exact same candy at 20% of the price. Also, at Xmas I buy wrapping paper there, it's probably cheaper quality than more expensive stuff, but it keeps presents covered just fine. I don't shop there for groceries or anything substantial, so those items might be more than $1.

So yeah, I've been in there recently. Maybe not everything in the store, so I guess it was wrong saying "anything", but lots of stuff still costs the same there as it did six years ago.

We have the "99 Cent Store" and "Everything's A Dollar" stores around here. Everything is literally priced .99 and $1 respectively. Great places to grab swag, btw.

Yup. Even if its worth a quarter.

There's a locally-run Country Dollar Store a mile from my house, right on the edge of the neighborhood. (In the city, despite the name.) It's still literally everything $1 ... plus 7.5% sales tax. If you want something specific, of course you won't find it, but they have some pretty neat stuff. It's crowded when the nearby school lets out. I recently stocked a new ammo can for $10 and got several logs about how good the swag was.

Is the thread adequately hijacked?

Edward

Edited by paleolith