Silly Question - Dropping the Geocoin

flavored

Hello all! I am fairly new to the geocoin concept. Today, my friend and I found a geocoin! I logged it, read the description, and plan to drop it off in a specific cache that will be ideal for its owner. I am very excited to help reach its goal! I plan to drop it on Thursday.

Anyway, I was reading through the history, and saw that it has had primarily two other finders besides myself and its owner. I noticed the two cachers kept moving it from cache to cache, almost daily, and sometimes multiple times a day. Is this typical? Am I supposed to move it daily until someone else discovers it? Or am I supposed to leave it in a cache (logging it, of course,) and let someone else find it?

Thanks for your thoughts :)

Hi, welcome to the game.

I guess it depends on what the coins mission is and how often you go caching. Most of the time, when I find a coin, I will take it home, log it and than drop it off in the next suitable cache I find. Some coins have a mission to visit as many caches as possible so if I know I will be doing a lot of caching over a week or so the I will hang on to it and log each cache but I dont think I have held on to one for more than 2 weeks and that was because I was going abroad and I knew the country I was going to was taking the geocoin closer to its final goal.

Hope that helps

http://www.beeswax.ee/pages/english/handicrafts/geocoins.php

Edited by jpbarr

...Anyway, I was reading through the history, and saw that it has had primarily two other finders besides myself and its owner. I noticed the two cachers kept moving it from cache to cache, almost daily, and sometimes multiple times a day. Is this typical? Am I supposed to move it daily until someone else discovers it? Or am I supposed to leave it in a cache (logging it, of course,) and let someone else find it?

Thanks for your thoughts :)

No, you don't have to keep moving it daily.

When some cachers have someone else's trackable 'in their hands'and they go out for a day's caching they will "visit" the trackable to each cache they find along their route. This shows the owner that their item went to lots of caches before it finally gets dropped off. Some owners like to see this visiting, others are not so keen on it because it can result in a string of rather dull Visit logs. "Visits" can be useful if you have a TB that wants to go to a specific site but there are no caches large enough to leave it nearby - You can find a nearby nano and allow the TB a visit it and then add any interesting photos of the nearby location to the log.

As long as you're following the mission of the geocoin I'm sure the owner will be happy just to see it correctly retrieved/dropped off.

MrsB :)

What you found is called "dipping". It's purpose is as MrB said above, it can add points to the map of the coin bouncing around in a small(ish) area instead of the random swings and jumps when different cachers move it. It's original use was by coin owners who used the coin as a cache tracker to record on a map and calculate distances accumulated in their cache hunts. Dipping is not a mission/goal oriented or specified activity and it mostly brings pleasure to the cacher doing it, imo.

Thanks for the great replies!

I read that the coin would like to go to specific kinds of caches, and I noticed that it was previously not being taken to such. As a matter of a fact, I picked it up from a cache that was nothing close to what the owner had requested. I have found a few caches that would be perfect, so maybe I can "visit" a few of these relevant caches before leaving it in one? I am thinking of doing that, and then leaving it in a relevant one that I really like, or perhaps find another trackable item in. What do you guys think? :)

Edited by flavored

Thanks for the great replies!

I read that the coin would like to go to specific kinds of caches, and I noticed that it was previously not being taken to such. As a matter of a fact, I picked it up from a cache that was nothing close to what the owner had requested. I have found a few caches that would be perfect, so maybe I can "visit" a few of these relevant caches before leaving it in one? I am thinking of doing that, and then leaving it in a relevant one that I really like, or perhaps find another trackable item in. What do you guys think? :)

If they're relevant to the mission then, sure, visit the coin to them. Be aware that when you do a Visit action for a trackable it just puts a very bland log on the page e.g. 13 Aug 11 WheresDiB took it to Reserved for D M K Missouri - 28.19 miles. Also, the owner won't receive an email notification of any Visits, only for the Retrieve and Drop-off. If you have time, it's a nice idea to go back to the Visit log, click the link to edit it, and then add in a few words to explain why you took the item to that cache.

MrsB

When you post the logs for the TBs (or afterwards) you can also add photos of where they have been which can add a fun dimension to the game too, if you feel like it. A lot of people don't (just as a lot of people don't put the trackables into caches relating to their goal/mission) but usually geocoin owners appreciate a picture of where their coin has been. :-)

If you do add photos, be careful not to show the tracking number.

Unless you pick up a TB and drop it in another cache later on the same day - then you need the tracking number to log that you moved it. Much better to take a photo or write the number down for your records rather than have to get back to the cache you left it in to get the number (quite a few of us have made that mistake!)

If you do add photos, be careful not to show the tracking number.

Unless you pick up a TB and drop it in another cache later on the same day - then you need the tracking number to log that you moved it. Much better to take a photo or write the number down for your records rather than have to get back to the cache you left it in to get the number (quite a few of us have made that mistake!)

But, don't show the tracking number in the photo... on the TB's page or the cache log.

(Yes, I often photograph the TB and number, to have a record of the number, but crop the number off if the photo is posted)

If they're relevant to the mission then, sure, visit the coin to them. Be aware that when you do a Visit action for a trackable it just puts a very bland log on the page e.g. 13 Aug 11 WheresDiB took it to Reserved for D M K Missouri - 28.19 miles. Also, the owner won't receive an email notification of any Visits, only for the Retrieve and Drop-off. If you have time, it's a nice idea to go back to the Visit log, click the link to edit it, and then add in a few words to explain why you took the item to that cache.

MrsB

I'm definitely planning to have this coin visit caches that are relevant that also have names relevant as well. I like to add comments as well, so I will do that for sure!

Fianccetto, Bear, thanks for the input! Good idea, I'll be sure to take pictures with the little guy at the caches, hopefully getting the relevant locations in the picture as well! I need to remember to document the tracking number too. Sometimes I just get too excited, I don't want to forget :P

Thanks everyone! I am excited to take him out on a little adventure until he is dropped meets his new tour guide :)