Brass Cap Cache

Mr. Wilson & a Mt. Goat

GC43F3- Brass Cap Cache You mean that one?

There are brass markers all over Alberta. Originally to claim a find you have to visit one that had not been visited fro the cache and post it in your log. Now you can visit any of them. There is a file you can down load that shoes the location of them all. We located two of them, one in Banff and one North of Edmonton last year.

The Brass Cap Cache GC43F3

Albertans are lucky to have a geocacher who has been active since the beginning of the game and who has maintained his cache listings. Geocachers in Alberta can find three moving caches, all of which are owned by outforthehunt.

The Brass Cap Cache may be the only moving Virtual cache left in the world.

Benchmarks, survey markers, are the Brass Caps. outforthehunt selects a survey marker anywhere in Alberta (and a couple on the Great Divide that end up a few feet into BC!, they are so lucky!!) and that survey marker becomes a Brass Cap. The Brass Cap Cache has it's own web page where a list of every survey marker selected as a Brass Cap can be downloaded.

If you look at the cache page now you can see it says Brass Cap Cache - Mount Lipsett. The current location selected is a survey marker that outforthehunt is calling Mount Lipsett.

Any marker that has been selected in the past can be logged, only Brass Caps (survey markers that have been selected by outforthehunt) can be logged, there are thousands upon thousands of survey markers but only 539 are loggable as Brass Caps.

The mix of Brass Caps is amazing, some are downtowm embedded in a city sidewalk in Edmonton or Calgary, some take two days to hike into to and then you have to climb a mountain. The target often moves close to Events caches, attendees at many of Alberta's events often see the Brass Cap Cache move to a target near the event.

Finding Brass Caps is a favourite Alberta geocaching activity and if you have found a lot of them you have done some serious backcountry hiking and climbing and you have been all over Alberta, to almost every little hamlet and town in every corner of the province.

The Brass Cap Cache has 50 Favourite votes, it is well loved by Alberta geocachers.

We are currently at Brass Cap 539.

This year on International Geocaching Day we are going to look for Brass Cap that has never been found, Brass Cap 238, Mount Burke.

Attending this event will make you an attendee at what will probably be the highest Difficulty rated event cache in the world for August 20th. The difficulty rating of 4 was taken from the Brass Cap stats pages, I didn't set that level myself.

Attendees at the Brass Cap Convention will be able to attend another IGD Event called IGD at Cameron LO posted by Alberta's leading cap finder Sleepy_hollow. The Terrain rating on the GC30TD0 is another 4, Sleepy_hollow has selected that terrain level based upon his previous ascent of Mount Burke and his experience as a cacher. Attending these two events on August 20th will allow you to attend both the highest Difficulty and highest Terrain rating of any IGD event caches in the world, a memorable way to spend the day.

I invited Moun10Bike but Jeremy wouldn`t let him come because apparently Groundspeak is having a little get together on the same day. :laughing:

If you are an Albertan who can`t make the Block Party then this is the way to spend the day. Even if you cannot make the ascent you can come later in the day and enjoy the event.

We are going to be hiding a geocaching time capsule that will stay hidden until August 20, 2019 or Brass Cap Cache 1000, whichever comes first.

The time capsule is going to have some very cool stuff, a Version 1 Lemon Fresh Dog geobone, an original sequentially numbered CAC coin (567), an unactivated GeocoinFest geocoin from the first geocoinFest in Temecula and more. If you attend the event you will get a card that will allow you to take a treasure from the time capsule if you are there when it is opened. If you think you will still be geocaching in 7 or 8 years then this is a great way to get a cool swag item.

A truly memorable way to celebrate geocaching

Here are the event listings:

http://coord.info/gc30td0 IGD at Cameron LO

http://coord.info/gc2ymkv Brass Cap Convention II

If you are going to come then make sure you get a souvenir t-shirt and the Red Shirt Edition of the Brass Cap geocoin, you must pre-register to obtain these items. Today is the last day to pre-register, the pre-registration closes tomorrow morning. Pre-registration is not required, it is only for the shirt and the coin.

http://www.brasscapconvention.com/BCC_II_Pre-registration.php

It will be fun and memorable and the day has other planned happenings.

If you not sure about the ascent then show up in the afternoon for dogs and chips and stories.

Our moving multi-cache is called Leap Frog.

Our moving Traditional is called Stash N Dash.

(Shorter version, composed while Wavvy composed his note.)

It's sort of a hack to bring Alberta survey markers into the game, somewhat like US-style benchmarks but without the built-in website support.

There are about 500 markers ("brass caps") across Alberta currently on the approved list, and the CO adds new ones periodically. If you've found, say, 10 of them, you can log 10 found-its to the cache page, one for each cap.

Some of them are on mountain tops and can be quite challenging. Others are on the sidewalk waiting to be tripped over.

It may be the world's longest cache page. Test your browser by clicking View them all.

And FWIW, that Virtual is grandfathered. Which means the CO is allowed to move it and apparently change the "Date Placed" as they see fit to do. This Virtual is special and unique, at least in Canada, and such a listing cannot be created anymore. If you are looking for a "Found It" like no other then this listing is a good contender.

B) BQ

As the 11th member of the "200 Brass Cap" club, I feel compelled to respond with something. :laughing:

outforthehunt also maintains a similar cache in England known as Ye Ole Survey Monument Cache

Some of the best caching moments I have ever had have come from road trips or hikes with friends with the sole purpose of tracking down brass.

I am kind of late to this thread I guess, but I have to aggree with DanOCan. I have done some crazy mountain scrables, and bushwacking through thick nasty wooded foothills just to find a brass cap. Sometimes, if sleepy_hollow has already found the cap (and he has found most of them), there will also be a cache or two near by, but the main goal is always the Brass!

FYF. http://members.shaw.ca/brasscaps is the portal for all the details. You can download a .gpx file that has all the active brass caps (a few have been archived due to land owner issues, or destruction of the cap etc.). that site also has a map with all the caps, links to a site that keeps track of who has found and/or DNFed each cap, and a list of how many caps each finder has found (I am in 41st place last I looked with 82 finds). Lost of fun stuff...