British Grid on Cache Pages

Wood Smoke

I have found that the British Grid shown on UK cache pages is virtually useless cos it rarely seems to be correct or in the correct format.

In the UK our grid references are in the format

AAxxxyyy

AA = Two letters which shows a main area

xxx = Three numbers for east/west coordinates

yyy = Three numbers for the north/west coordinates

On the cache pages there is a variety of numbers (up to ten sometimes) and they do not always work.

This web page 'Ordnance Survey' is where you would go to get the map.

As you can see it requires coordinates in the format I have stated above.

Can you please change the coordinates on the cache pages to match the required system in the UK please?

And take out the spaces so we can just copy & paste it straight into the map page please?

WoodSmoke

quote:
Originally posted by Wood Smoke:

I have found that the British Grid shown on UK cache pages is virtually useless cos it rarely seems to be correct or in the correct format.

In the UK our grid references are in the format

AAxxxyyy

AA = Two letters which shows a main area

xxx = Three numbers for east/west coordinates

yyy = Three numbers for the north/west coordinates

On the cache pages there is a variety of numbers (up to ten sometimes) and they do not always work.

This web page http://www.getamap.co.uk/frames.htm is where you would go to get the map.

As you can see it requires coordinates in the format I have stated above.

Can you please change the coordinates on the cache pages to match the required system in the UK please?

And take out the spaces so we can just copy & paste it straight into the map page please?

WoodSmoke

The british grid references given on cache pages are ten figure grid refs, precise to one meter and not the six figure ones that are precise to only 100 meters.

What is confusing is that when the leading figures are zero these are omitted and so to get the six figure refs that you want, pack the two sets of numbers with leading zeros if less than five figures and the take the first three digits of the first set to give eastings and the first three numbers of the second set to give northings.

I have already suggested on a post on the UK forums that the numbers should have leading zeros added where neccesary to give five digits for eastings and northings but TPTB didn't take it up.

I have come up with a really simple solution to the non displaying of leading zeros in the British Grid :-)

If the grid reference was formatted without the two spaces in it, all the zeros would be shown :-)

This would also allow copy & pasting without having to alter it when you stick it into Get-a-Map or Uk Streetmap :-)

WoodSmoke