How is it legal to claim... say 900 caches in one day?

It's a little asinine to run around and stamp a piece of paper every 500 feet for a meaningless point value, but it's even more asinine to be concerned if other people are doing it, and if they are doing it correctly :rolleyes:

Being concerned or judgmental about it actually validates it.

Actually now that you mention it, it seems silly to hike a couple miles or so across a snake and scorpion infested desert or through a bear infested forest to stamp a piece of paper for a meaningless point value.

It's a little asinine to run around and stamp a piece of paper every 500 feet for a meaningless point value, but it's even more asinine to be concerned if other people are doing it, and if they are doing it correctly :rolleyes:

Actually now that you mention it, it seems silly to hike a couple miles or so across a snake and scorpion infested desert or through a bear infested forest to stamp a piece of paper for a meaningless point value.

And isn't it great that there are options for those like to do either, both or neither? :rolleyes:

It's certainly not my cup of tea. I love to hike but I doubt I would have enjoyed the Bataan Death March. To me this would be the geocaching equivalent. But as others said here, to each his own.

Really? equating caching on a Power Trail to the "Bataan Death March" How many service men were killed? and you compare it to that even with the problems that the ET Trail had I don't believe anyone was forced to do it and I don't think anyone was killed! That's definitely worse than the stupid cheese head comment!

Hyperbole ( /haɪˈpɜrbəliː/ hy-pur-bə-lee;[1] Greek: ὑπερβολή, 'exaggeration') is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.

Hyperboles are exaggerations to create emphasis or effect. As a literary device, hyperbole is often used in poetry, and is frequently encountered in casual speech. An example of hyperbole is: "The bag weighed a ton."[2] Hyperbole helps to make the point that the bag was very heavy, although it is not probable that it would actually weigh a ton.

For the millionth time would you stop exaggerating and using hyperbole!!!

I didn't know what hyperbole was before today!

It's certainly not my cup of tea. I love to hike but I doubt I would have enjoyed the Bataan Death March. To me this would be the geocaching equivalent. But as others said here, to each his own.

Really? equating caching on a Power Trail to the "Bataan Death March" How many service men were killed? and you compare it to that even with the problems that the ET Trail had I don't believe anyone was forced to do it and I don't think anyone was killed! That's definitely worse than the stupid cheese head comment!

Hyperbole ( /haɪˈpɜrbəliː/ hy-pur-bə-lee;[1] Greek: ὑπερβολή, 'exaggeration') is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.

Hyperboles are exaggerations to create emphasis or effect. As a literary device, hyperbole is often used in poetry, and is frequently encountered in casual speech. An example of hyperbole is: "The bag weighed a ton."[2] Hyperbole helps to make the point that the bag was very heavy, although it is not probable that it would actually weigh a ton.

For the millionth time would you stop exaggerating and using hyperbole!!!

No, that doesn't seem silly to me at all, unless it was done over and over in similar locations for no other reason other than to artificially inflate a meaningless point value. But if someone wants to do that, who really cares, it's their business anyway.

Doing it once is an adventure. Doing it religiously in repetition is a form of Geo-OCD. :D

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I know... heck of a first post, but I'm sitting here with my wife going over some stats and the #1 finder on this site lists 990 finds in a single day... how is that legal? Obviously you cannot visit 900 caches in a single day. The only way I could see you getting your name on that many logs is by proxy through other people. But then what's the point? That's not really finding what you're claiming.

Am I missing something here?

First, why worry about it?

Second, they may have logged them on the same day, but had simply not changed the date from previous finds (Say, like on a vacation or similar...)

Third, why worry about it?

I know... heck of a first post, but I'm sitting here with my wife going over some stats and the #1 finder on this site lists 990 finds in a single day... how is that legal? Obviously you cannot visit 900 caches in a single day. The only way I could see you getting your name on that many logs is by proxy through other people. But then what's the point? That's not really finding what you're claiming.

Second, they may have logged them on the same day, but had simply not changed the date from previous finds (Say, like on a vacation or similar...)

First, who said I was worried? It was a legitimate question from a new cacher.

Second, 990 is ridiculous no matter what way you twist it. My wife and I happen to look for caches in which treasure can be found... you know... the game listed Here

Third, did you really just repeat yourself? It's ok... if you really like spending a day running from one film canister to the next to stamp a piece of paper every 528 feet, then good for you! Personally, we have better things to do with our time.

Second, 990 is ridiculous no matter what way you twist it. My wife and I happen to look for caches in which treasure can be found... you know... the game listed Here

Third, did you really just repeat yourself? It's ok... if you really like spending a day running from one film canister to the next to stamp a piece of paper every 528 feet, then good for you! Personally, we have better things to do with our time.

Then why get so worked up over it? I don't like power trails either, but I know a lot of cachers who do. When you sit around and talk to them about it, you find that they have a lot of fun doing them. In fact, they've just about talked me into doing one. B)

(ok, so it's a series. I still can't stomach the idea of doing a power trail)

Then why get so worked up over it? I don't like power trails either, but I know a lot of cachers who do. When you sit around and talk to them about it, you find that they have a lot of fun doing them. In fact, they've just about talked me into doing one. B)

(ok, so it's a series. I still can't stomach the idea of doing a power trail)

HA! You funny! <_< Almost bit on that one being a 14 cache "power trail" until I hit the quote button and saw your (not so) hidden text. :laughing:

Edited by FobesMan
The_Wagners-“…Second, 990 is ridiculous impressive no matter what way you twist it. My wife and I happen to look for caches in which treasure can be found...,,,”

There, I put the word you were searching for in the sentence, above. :) Also, I cache for pleasure, not treasure. <_<

Whether 990 is possible for you or not is a rhetorical question that you've answered by deciding you don't want to do power trails. As to others who have done power trails and have done more than 990 in a day, they know it can be done, and legally. Earlier this year a friend and I did the RT66 power trail, caching only during daylight hours, and had a good time caching. Two of the hours we signed by pen 71 logsheets, the minimum we did was about 58 per hour. An organized group of cachers could certainly do better than we did and at a minimum of 58 per hour they could find almost 1400 caches in a 24 hour day. YMMV, as they say.

The_Wagners-“…Second, 990 is ridiculous impressive no matter what way you twist it. My wife and I happen to look for caches in which treasure can be found...,,,”

There, I put the word you were searching for in the sentence, above. :) Also, I cache for pleasure, not treasure. <_<

Whether 990 is possible for you or not is a rhetorical question that you've answered by deciding you don't want to do power trails. As to others who have done power trails and have done more than 990 in a day, they know it can be done, and legally. Earlier this year a friend and I did the RT66 power trail, caching only during daylight hours, and had a good time caching. Two of the hours we signed by pen 71 logsheets, the minimum we did was about 58 per hour. An organized group of cachers could certainly do better than we did and at a minimum of 58 per hour they could find almost 1400 caches in a 24 hour day. YMMV, as they say.

theres another forum thread that says you cheated regardless of how you logged the series. There are severla other forum threads that say you are the detriment to geocaching cause you supported a Power Trail. There are hundreds that start off with "I don't play the game that way and don't care about those that do but why do others not play the way I do. But really I don't care!" And luckily when those threads close there's hundreds more behind them!

Actually it OCC (Obsessive-Compulsive Caching) and I definitely have it. Why else would I go out and grab all the E.T. caches in a single day plus 64 others.

The E.T trail is not for everyone. The are no different containes ( all film containers), no different hides (all under a little pile of rocks), no difficult hides (most were out in the open). So why did we do it. Because we could and we wanted to see how many we could do in a day. Did we expect to get all 1500, probally not that is why we cached under the name team 1K+.

But we did do it. It took planning so we would not need to stop for anything other than the caches and required nature breaks. We had a vehicle that made it easy to get in and out of. We had extra fuel and food. We went without sleep and just kept going till the day was done. This effort also takes 4 individules that don't give up. This was done with one truck, 4 guys present at all cahes (no slitting up), and a will to finish.

My calculation told me it took just 20.25 hours to complete the the 1500 E.T. cahes (subtracted time for off shoots to get neaby caches). Then again we hit the 1500 cache for the day at 20:30 so even with the deviations 1500 is easily reached. The calculation I came up with are from my track log on my Oregon.

What is the most that can be found in a day? Probally 1800 to 2000 depending on placement. Our record of 1564 will soon be broken

Team Sand Dollar

No, that doesn't seem silly to me at all, unless it was done over and over in similar locations for no other reason other than to artificially inflate a meaningless point value. But if someone wants to do that, who really cares, it's their business anyway.

Doing it once is an adventure. Doing it religiously in repetition is a form of Geo-OCD. :D

One persons thoughts.

We started the original ET trail last Nov. we knew that we wouldn't finish it but we just wanted to see what we could do in a day.

Hit the first cache about 7:00am stopped at cache 300 about 3:00pm in between finding 299 caches we stopped about every hour so our lab could check Pmail, we also took a 1/2 hour lunch break, also did a detour so we could get rid of some handloads that were about 25 years old (and yes they were still good)Hey we had fun and in the end that's all that counts.

Next month on the way back from Laughlin Nv. we will see how many of the Route 66 run we can do before it gets too late in the day.

Enough talk! For or against, let's grab the pitchforks and march on Groundspeak HQ for answers. :anibad:

Edited by TorgtheViking

Enough talk! For or against, let's grab the pitchforks and march on Groundspeak HQ for answers. :anibad:

that sounds like fun, but I'll only do it if it's posted as a challenge. :ph34r:

I think the keywords in the OP are:

Legal

and

Claim

Legal: There are no legalities involved here, except possibly the way the driving is being done.

Claim: You can claim anything you like, and it only matters if the CO goes out and verifies signatures. Given the way the 'Three-Cache-Monte' business is being done, it's very likely that NONE of the logs would have your signature in about a month or so...even if you truly did sign every one.

One persons thoughts.

We started the original ET trail last Nov. we knew that we wouldn't finish it but we just wanted to see what we could do in a day.

Hit the first cache about 7:00am stopped at cache 300 about 3:00pm in between finding 299 caches we stopped about every hour so our lab could check Pmail, we also took a 1/2 hour lunch break, also did a detour so we could get rid of some handloads that were about 25 years old (and yes they were still good)Hey we had fun and in the end that's all that counts.

Next month on the way back from Laughlin Nv. we will see how many of the Route 66 run we can do before it gets too late in the day.

Be safe and have a great time, just keep it under 900 OK, you don't want a ticket from the Geo-Police!

At this rate, I'd be ticketed by the geo-police for caching too slow. I only snagged one yesterday. :o

Legal

and

Claim

Legal: There are no legalities involved here, except possibly the way the driving is being done.

Claim: You can claim anything you like, and it only matters if the CO goes out and verifies signatures. Given the way the 'Three-Cache-Monte' business is being done, it's very likely that NONE of the logs would have your signature in about a month or so...even if you truly did sign every one.

Actually, legality doesn't necessarily mean in regards to state or federal laws and, in this case, means conforming to a set of established rules set by this site for the game of Geocaching. Obviously the rules behind it are extremely loose, therefore I'm in the process of creating as new style of caching which involves utilizing Google Earth to search out cache locations and virtually signing them with notepad on the computer. We've coined the name GEOcaching(Google Earth Operated caching) for this purpose and have estimated we can log roughly 652,163 caches per 24 hours. By my calculations, the wife and I will claim a "WIN" in less than 3 days for being the first cachers to find EVERY active cache! Wish us luck!

Legal

and

Claim

Actually, legality doesn't necessarily mean in regards to state or federal laws and, in this case, means conforming to a set of established rules set by this site for the game of Geocaching. Obviously the rules behind it are extremely loose, therefore I'm in the process of creating as new style of caching which involves utilizing Google Earth to search out cache locations and virtually signing them with notepad on the computer. We've coined the name GEOcaching(Google Earth Operated caching) for this purpose and have estimated we can log roughly 652,163 caches per 24 hours. By my calculations, the wife and I will claim a "WIN" in less than 3 days for being the first cachers to find EVERY active cache! Wish us luck!

After reading this post my mom told me she wishes I was more like you.

Edited by taggdog

Yeah, that was a fun weekend Team Sand Dollar and it sure was easier with a dedicated four person crew in one great geocaching utility vehicle. Am open to a new geocaching challenge and am satisfied with our total count. Now about your take off at ET-001 ... was it a cow, an alien, or T-Rex that you saw in the rear view mirror?!

Yes, we did have a whole lot of fun out there, and nobody got hurt! :lol:

It still takes dedication to find 100 in a day !

We probably have a different understanding of the word "dedicated". <_<

I could hop on my bicycle and do a 10 mile ride, nabbing 100 uninspired caches in a few hours.

I suppose forcing myself to maintain interest in such tedium could be interpreted as "dedication". :unsure:

So this is what it looks like when a fan of monotony gets to feeling slighted...

Lighten up Francis. Brian was just offering his opinion. <_<

The_Wagners-“…Second, 990 is ridiculous no matter what way you twist it. My wife and I happen to look for caches in which treasure can be found...,,,”

There, I put the word you were searching for in the sentence, above. :) Also, I cache for pleasure monotony, not treasure. <_<

Nah. They had it right the first time.

But I was kind enough to put the word you were searching for in the sentance above. :P:ph34r::lol:

theres another forum thread that says you cheated regardless of how you logged the series.

Really? There's a thread that calls you a cheater if you drive to each cache, by yourself, carefully park your vehicle to avoid issues with traffic, exit the car, walk to the cache, find it, sign the log, replace it, (or log a DNF if it's missing), return to your car, carefully enter the traffic flow and repeat as needed till the trail is finished?

I must've missed that one. Presumably you have a link? :rolleyes:

I'd probably be up to 2000 compared to the dismal 200 I am on.

As long as you had fun finding those 200, every other consideration pales in significance. :)

I think it was the venerable Snoogans who first coined the phrase;

"If you're not having fun geocaching, you're doing it wrong"

From power trails with 1000 finds, to week long hikes going after just one.

So long as you go after what you like, and avoid what you don't, all is good. B)

I am not posting for or against power trailing. But one thing that sometimes gets lost in these threads...

I do really serious wilderness hiking. The amount of prep that it takes to get all the right equipment and the right plans to do a 2-week horseback wilderness ride deep into the Colorado Rockies is QUITE significant. And you know what? I love that part. The same can be said for power trailing. Getting together as a group, and planning it all out... the right gear, contingency plans, mapping, fuel planning, prepping for 24 hours without sleep, without poopin, and no stops for food or water... I'll bet that for most 1,000 a day finders, that was actually the fun part, the actual run was just one piece of it.

For me... I guess before you judge you try. So I'm gonna try a PT and see how it feels like. We don't have a power trail here but I guess the whole city is a PT. So saturated.

I did a real enjoyable Power Trail the other day.

15 miles worth of pedaling on a bike trail and 20 caches.

I did too 26 caches however the hides and containers were pretty different. theres maybe 300 caches within that area.

all micros except for 1 regular.

Hyperbole really shouldn't be used these days. Seems most Americans are to stupid to even know when they see it.

People are forever getting trashed by the public and the media for hyperbole. Just look at the reaction to Hank Williams JR's statement.

We tend to take things way too serious in this country. We really need to lighten up a little.

As for finding 900 caches in a day being legal to claim. Who cares. I know they didn't find 900 caches by my standards, but I also am not comparing them to me. If someone thinks the way they are doing it is fine, and the CO doesn't mind, then who am I to care?

According to the Geocaching Fact Sheet on Geocaching.com, there are only three rules.

1. If you take something, leave something of equal or greater value.

2. You must sign the log.

3. You must log it online at Geocaching.com

Obviously, there is no one to enforce the rules except the CO can delete a find log. There are no GC police.

There are so many variances that they cannot even be listed. Finding 1,000 caches in a metro area is vastly different than finding 1,000 caches hidden in the forests of the Rocky Mountains. If a Power Trail is the way you enjoy caching, more power to you. Obviously, the search is less than five seconds. Personally, I get enjoyment from finding a tricky hide. For me, finding and signing a log every 500 feet along a highway would be fun for about five caches, then it would become work. After a couple of easy finds, I tell myself that I sure hope the next one is harder so I am challenged. But that is how I enjoy the game.

So here is my question: When does a hobby become an obsession? LOL

After the first find i beleive! :)

Edited by Rayvan43

According to the Geocaching Fact Sheet on Geocaching.com, there are only three rules.

Obviously, there is no one to enforce the rules except the CO can delete a find log. There are no GC police.

There are so many variances that they cannot even be listed. Finding 1,000 caches in a metro area is vastly different than finding 1,000 caches hidden in the forests of the Rocky Mountains. If a Power Trail is the way you enjoy caching, more power to you. Obviously, the search is less than five seconds. Personally, I get enjoyment from finding a tricky hide. For me, finding and signing a log every 500 feet along a highway would be fun for about five caches, then it would become work. After a couple of easy finds, I tell myself that I sure hope the next one is harder so I am challenged. But that is how I enjoy the game.

The 2,000,000 or so people who have found a handful of caches and disappeared forever say you're wrong. Nice bump of the thread though.

I have to agree with Rayvan43, it's been several months since my first and only find, therefore I am obsessed. Someday or some year I will have my second find, until then I will be mired into my geocaching obsession. :laughing:

I have to agree with Rayvan43, it's been several months since my first and only find, therefore I am obsessed. Someday or some year I will have my second find, until then I will be mired into my geocaching obsession. :laughing:

Uhhhhh... Rayvan43 is a little bit beyond his first cache. As of today, 5,382 beyond it, in fact.

Uhhhhh... Rayvan43 is a little bit beyond his first cache. As of today, 5,382 beyond it, in fact.

Sorry, never checked the profile. I thought the bump of the old thread all while a "someone who didn't believe someone could find 630 catches in a day" thread was going on was suspicious. My bad, carry on. :P

I'm sorry you can't stand our POV, but in the realm of traditional geocaching where you use a GPSR to locate a hidden cache that someone has taken the care and effort to make a worthwhile hide, jumping out of a car every .1 mile to stamp a piece of paper until you pass out isn't nearly the same game. In our opinion, it's only geocaching by name.

+1

This post sum it up pretty good imo.

But theres is really a simple solution to this madness of this kind of claims.

Get rid of find numbers and stats altogether like the challenges.

Geocaching has become all about numbers.

Edited by ZeMartelo

I'm sorry you can't stand our POV, but in the realm of traditional geocaching where you use a GPSR to locate a hidden cache that someone has taken the care and effort to make a worthwhile hide, jumping out of a car every .1 mile to stamp a piece of paper until you pass out isn't nearly the same game. In our opinion, it's only geocaching by name.

+1

Although I plan 8 - 10 hour hikes around a few geocaches, and have a high terrain rating quite frankly I'm glad power trails are out there, who knows, some day I may want to try one, maybe you will, regardless it adds diversity and that brings new people into the game. Isn't it great, there are so many caches that we all have lots to choose from that we enjoy. Imagine if every cache on earth was only the kind I liked, what would this sport be like?

As for numbers, that's another part of the game some enjoy, it's not up to me or you how others have fun.

Finally, read my sig.

+1

Although I plan 8 - 10 hour hikes around a few geocaches, and have a high terrain rating quite frankly I'm glad power trails are out there, who knows, some day I may want to try one, maybe you will, regardless it adds diversity and that brings new people into the game. Isn't it great, there are so many caches that we all have lots to choose from that we enjoy. Imagine if every cache on earth was only the kind I liked, what would this sport be like?

As for numbers, that's another part of the game some enjoy, it's not up to me or you how others have fun.

Finally, read my sig.

Not that I would be into them; it would be nice to see nano power trails with a high difficulty rating, but I know that would defeat the purpose of the power trail.