How is it legal to claim... say 900 caches in one day?

I know... heck of a first post, but I'm sitting here with my wife going over some stats and the #1 finder on this site lists 990 finds in a single day... how is that legal? Obviously you cannot visit 900 caches in a single day. The only way I could see you getting your name on that many logs is by proxy through other people. But then what's the point? That's not really finding what you're claiming.

Am I missing something here?

This is a common question I hear from both traditional cachers and non-cachers alike. I asked the same question many years ago when "cache machines" first appeared. It quickly become a polarizing topic and remains so.

By "legal" you probably mean "follows guidelines." Power trails stretch or break some of the long-standing guidelines but these are more advisory than hard rules. Where caches or cachers cause problems or when they deviate from Groundspeak's vision--whatever that may be--certain things are discouraged. Throw other cache listing services and GPS games into the mix, and situations can become messy. In some cases geocaching has been barred from large areas by agencies.

A couple of aspects of geocaching may help to understand power trails and a cacher's find count. First, publishing caches is inconsistent and confusing. For example, at one time power trails were not even allowed by the reviewers. Later, the saturation guideline was reinterpreted to allow them. It can be argued that this is good or bad for geocaching, but there is no doubting the popularity of power trails among some cachers.

The advice often given about power trails, "if you don't like them, don't do them," is much easier said than done because they dominate an area and make it difficult to isolate other caches. It would help if hiders used consistent attributes but they don't. At this point I will often filter out all micros or look for only specific cache types to generate a query of reasonable size. Groundspeak is constantly improving the publishing and search tools, so in time we may be better able to focus on the kind of hunts we like.

Second, a cache belongs to the owner and it is between them and the finder as to whether a log is acceptable (within reason). It may seem wrong to you or me to invite, say, teams to pull off the road every tenth-mile with pre-signed, rotating caches but some competitive people like speed-caching. Whether this is actually geocaching or an event or even another activity that needs its own website is an interesting question. In any case, current logging practices have both expanded and diminished the game. The cache find total posted after our name represents something very different than it did when the game was young.

My best advice is to met other cachers, get involved in events and your regional organization, try different things, and learn. Fascinating game.

Blech... after reading the nonsense associated with power trails, I'm surprised it's acceptable. No thanks, we'll pass. Quality over quantity. The Wagners aren't "cheeseball cachers!" lol

I'm not sure what the point of calling someone a cheeseball is. Obviously some cachers enjoy doing these powertrail. Perhaps they see it a challenge to find 900 caches in 24 hours. It's certainly not easy to do even with powertrails. But it is possible. Other geocachers might enjoy finding a single cache that requires an overnight backpacking trip and extreme mountaineering abilities. I think everyone is trying for find ways of enjoying geocaching that fit their personalities. Some are finding challenges that test their particular abilities and preferences.

900 in 24 hours? That's 1 cache every 96 seconds for 24 consecutive hours, traveling a total distance of 90 miles. Considering that doesn't take into account actually finding the cache or signing it... or the biggest factor, sleeping. If you cut just 4 hours out for sleep, that brings you down to 80 seconds per cache. When you consider each find in and of itself is little more than a stamp, sticker, or a drop on the ground, it degrades the actual find to next to nothing. So, what exactly was memorable about find number 623 out of a 900 cache run? I fail to see any positive contribution to the game of geocaching itself. Negative publicity in the public eye by cachers creating hazards and damage along a strip of highway? When the focus is no longer about the find, but the meaningless number on a website, yes we see it as cheesy. Congrats to all those who love them. Who knows... maybe these people would be just as happy running around in circles at the mall in the morning stamping pieces of paper strategically placed every 528 feet away.

Hey...... good idea! :lol:

Hmmmmmmm,

It must be Tuesday, again. ... oh wait it is.

Just to throw something in the mix:

If cacher A & B had a shared account and for some reason decided to go their separate ways.

Cacher B creates another account and " imports " all of the shared finds from an earlier rendition of a caching life with cacher A.

Cacher B's profile might well show a "member since notation" for this morning.

Then a few short hours later may show a mega hundred numbers bump.

Then there are PowerTrails:

Ten days from now I will be back in Rachel, Nevada for an event associated with the re-opening of a certain trail and rumors of more Geo-Art.

Might even bag a cache or two.

Blech... after reading the nonsense associated with power trails, I'm surprised it's acceptable. No thanks, we'll pass. Quality over quantity. The Wagners aren't "cheeseball cachers!" lol

Hmmm with the amount of finds you have, it seems to me only a Cheeseball would make a post like you did about Power Trails.

SS

Who claims the find on a PT? The guy driving? The guy with the GPS? The guy(s) jumping out of the car and actually locating, signing and dating the logs? All of the above? Just curious. Because maybe there's someone at home by a phone somewhere that also claims the find. Just curious.

You can make up whatever rules you want for the way you geocache and then call people cheaters because they don't follow your rules.

There's no doubt that some people who do these cache runs may log finds that not everyone would agree are "legal". They may very well do this as team and not have have everyone get out of the car at every cache, yet everyone on the team logs a find. Lord knows the objection some people had to a practice called "swap and drop", where they actually shifted the containers from one spot to the next. Frankly if you don't think these finds should count because in your mind they "cheated", that's fine. Remember that these people had fun, they recorded finds they felt they deserved, and most importantly, the cache owners did not delete the finds. As far as Geocaching.com is concerned these are legitimate found it logs. This is not a competition, so instead of formal rules as to what is legal in order to claim a find, it's generally left to what the finders and the cache owners agree on. (There are exceptions which Groundspeak has decided go too far, but these are rare and what has been done with power trails has been allowed so far).

What rules did I make up?

Edited by luvvinbird

I think a power trail would be a great time. The game isn't about competing with others, it is about having fun and enjoying the experience. I personally would love to do a power trail, I would set a goal with some friends and make it like a race for us.

Each person can set their own goals and feel rewarded for hitting them. Is it to get this one hard cache today? Is it to get 100 caches in a day? Doesn't matter, just go out and have a good time.

I contend that it *does* matter. In essence, geocaching has three players; those that finds caches, those that hide caches, and the most important of all, those that provide locations to hide and seek caches. Although how one plays the game might not impact other finders, or other hiders, I could influence those that are granting access to locations where the game is played. I can think of numerous activities that some might describe as "having a good time" but can have some some significant consequences to those that choose not to participate.

As you suggested, you and others might set a goal with some friends to make it a race, or maybe just call it a personal challenge. That is, where I see it, that problems can arise. Once it becomes a race, people start trying to employ various tactics to "run the race" faster and there has been lots of evidence of some of these tactics causing numerous issues. For example, despite the fact that the CO specifically asked those seeking a set of caches along the ET trail to walk a section of the trail, there were numerous cachers that drove their vehicles on that section, essentially creating a new road in a potentially environmentally sensitive area. Whether or not one agrees that any damage has occurred as a result isn't really the issue here. At what point to you draw the line of what tactics are acceptable for "running the race"? In the pursuit of just "going out to have a good time" there may be consequences and it would be irresponsible of us not to consider the impact of having a good time might have on others.

I see that the questions raised, for the most part, are legitimate when a person is thinking "traditional" geocaching. You know, the kind of geocaching where you use a gpsr to locate a cache, open it up, sign the log, put everything back, then rehide like found. A person (or team) who actually geocaches like this would be hard pressed to get 900 in a day.

But, with power trails (you don't even need a gpsr on most of these) and when new techniques such as "leap frogging" arise, then there's no doubt that more caches can be claimed as found in the same period of time.

There are tons of styles of caching out there currently.

Puzzles, multi's, events, group caching, hiking, speed caching, city caching, extreme caching, virtual caching, benchmarking, delorme caching, personal challenge caching, map grid caching, off road cacheX4ing, or just hide some geocaches, and even my favorite ones....lamposts!

Geocaching is great because everyone can play it their own way.

If you prefer a certain type of geocaching, then do that.

Just remember to have fun out there.

(if you are not having fun....come visit our town, and we will take you out and show you how to do it!)

we will take you out and show you how to do it!)

Are some "power trails" set up better than others? I only found 4 out of a series of 30 one day, due to them being on both sides of a winding highway (it was tough to see which side the next cache might be on), they were in no particular numerical order, the "cache number" didn't fit on the GPS display after the long cache name, they were in various micro containers and hide styles, and a couple of them were on the next street over. It created lots of variety, but I can't imagine the planning that would go into just finding those 30 caches in a day.

Edited by kunarion

There are some power trails that are all on one side of a rarely used road....route 66.... tow series...alien hwy.

There are some that are on both sides of the road, and are crazy dangerous to try and run across the traffic. We call those 'frogger' power trails (do ya remember that video game? The frog tries to dodge traffic and crosses a busy highway. He usually gets squished by a vehicle.).

There are some that are not really powertrails at all. They were created over years, and have many different hide styles, hidden by all sorts of geocachers.

There are also the purist version of a power trail...these are Hiking trails, with a geocache every tenth of a mile.

My favorite type is desert power trails. We head out into the desert, and zoom up deep sand wash trails in our 4x4's. The number series near Landers is one.

This thread reminds me much of one from way back in 2002. When it was questioned whether a person could find a whopping 20 caches in a day and 85 in five days. Times have changed, the numbers have changed but the questions continue. What wrong with this?

That must have been one insanely dedicated Geocacher, Bruce! Or, shoud I call you "The Chosen One"? :lol:

Seriously, though... even when I started in '05 it took true dedication to get 100 in a day. I only knew a couple of crazy cachers that had done that, and they had to travel quite a distance and took 24 hours to do it.

It still takes dedication to find 100 in a day ! :rolleyes::laughing:

I understand that it can take a significant amount of effort, though when the placement of 100 caches is optimized specifically to allow them to be found in the least amount of time, it requires a lot less effort than it would have several years ago. However, I also have to wonder what exactly it is that one has become dedicated. Before someone answers "geocaching", I would suggest that there are likely a lot of geocachers that are dedicated to the game of geocaching but have no desire, or in many places, a reasonable opportunity, to find 100 caches in a day.

Hmmm with the amount of finds you have, it seems to me only a Cheeseball would make a post like you did about Power Trails.

SS

Considering the hate mail you sent me, I really don't care what you think. When it takes more time and effort for us to find 100 caches than it does for you to find 2,000 micros posted along a road at 528ft intervals, your find count means little to us. To put things in perspective, micros make up about 5% of our find count, whereas they are nearly 60% of yours.

I'm sorry you can't stand our POV, but in the realm of traditional geocaching where you use a GPSR to locate a hidden cache that someone has taken the care and effort to make a worthwhile hide, jumping out of a car every .1 mile to stamp a piece of paper until you pass out isn't nearly the same game. In our opinion, it's only geocaching by name.

I think a power trail would be a great time. The game isn't about competing with others, it is about having fun and enjoying the experience. I personally would love to do a power trail, I would set a goal with some friends and make it like a race for us.

at around 50th +/- of finding the same thing over and over again, you'll seriously start thinking that siting down with your friends enjoying a cold one and allowing your legs to rest is way more fun :lol:

The_Wagners-“I'm sorry you can't stand our POV, but in the realm of traditional geocaching where you use a GPSR to locate a hidden cache that someone has taken the care and effort to make a worthwhile hide, jumping out of a car every .1 mile to stamp a piece of paper until you pass out isn't nearly the same game. In our opinion, it's only geocaching by name.”

I'm sorry you can't stand others POV and choose to mock them rather than be open minded and accept that your way of caching is only one way of caching, not THE way.

Oh, sometimes I eat at McDonalds going to the drive-up window but today I had lunch with my wife at a nice restaurant. Which way is the right way? :rolleyes:

Edited by rjb43nh
The_Wagners-“I'm sorry you can't stand our POV, but in the realm of traditional geocaching where you use a GPSR to locate a hidden cache that someone has taken the care and effort to make a worthwhile hide, jumping out of a car every .1 mile to stamp a piece of paper until you pass out isn't nearly the same game. In our opinion, it's only geocaching by name.”

I'm sorry you can't stand others POV and choose to mock them rather than be open minded and accept that your way of caching is only one way of caching, not THE way.

Oh, sometimes I eat at McDonalds going to the drive-up window but today I had lunch with my wife at a nice restaurant. Which way is the right way? :rolleyes:

Drive your car through the nice restaurant. Obvi.

Has Rayvan43 and Scubasonic probably already know. We have had some discussion in the area about a certain hider in our area doing to many hides etc. He has done several of our bike paths/trails and they are micros and about 550 feet apart. Many people have thanked him and drove up to the area just to do these are nice trails but of course a few people really really ripped on him for doing that. Well at the same time he has a few smalls along the way when possible because of course he prefers smalls/regular better. I have a small nano series that I stopped because of the many emails saying they can't stand nano's well I thought it was a cool idea and only did them where I couldn't place a small.

Also this same cacher has been told he has too many caches out. So what he has over 500 and about half are small's or bigger. He will have more soon and almost all small. DOes it matter? He has taken time and the money to make the caches and put them out and maintain them. This also means over 500 caches to go find. If you don't like someones hides then don't go after them. I have some cachers hides I don't like so I avoid them but my wife likes them so she does them. IT IS A GAME IT IS FOR FUN! You don't like parts of it don't do it or avoid the game all together. One thing I like is the favorite option which allows others to know when someone may have done something really fun/creative.

You know I have a favorite cacher who for the most part hides in a certain type of bush I go after them where several cachers avoid them again that is a choice we can make.......................Lets stop complaining and get out and cache!

According to the Geocaching Fact Sheet on Geocaching.com, there are only three rules.

1. If you take something, leave something of equal or greater value.

2. You must sign the log.

3. You must log it online at Geocaching.com

Obviously, there is no one to enforce the rules except the CO can delete a find log. There are no GC police.

There are so many variances that they cannot even be listed. Finding 1,000 caches in a metro area is vastly different than finding 1,000 caches hidden in the forests of the Rocky Mountains. If a Power Trail is the way you enjoy caching, more power to you. Obviously, the search is less than five seconds. Personally, I get enjoyment from finding a tricky hide. For me, finding and signing a log every 500 feet along a highway would be fun for about five caches, then it would become work. After a couple of easy finds, I tell myself that I sure hope the next one is harder so I am challenged. But that is how I enjoy the game.

So here is my question: When does a hobby become an obsession? LOL

Edited by Inmountains

I would be proud to be called a cheeseball cacher if the definition of a cheeseball is logging 900 caches in a day. The most I got on the ET Highway was only 640 in a day!

Wait a minute... What kind of cheese, hopefully not Goat Cheese! I might take offense to that! But again that's why I come to the forums to read what others don't like and do the opposite! It's great motivation.

Edited by fresgo

Legal? I seriously doubt a governmental entity has limits on how much someone can find in a day.

Until some folks back home call their local congressman, and he says, "You're right! There oughta be a law." That might get the (cheese?)ball rolling.

I'm hankering for a hunk of cheese, come to think of it...

2 words: Power Trail

1000+ in a single day is possible now.

Ok.. Let's do some math. 24 hours = 1440 minutes.

For someone to "Seek, Find AND rehide" 1000 geocaches in one 24 hour period, that geocacher would have to be operating at 1 geocache every 1.44 minutes.

That's in a 24 hour period folks. No sleep, no bathroom breaks, no FUEL breaks and would require driving, eating and caching in rotations.

Theoretically it can be done but I sure as heck wouldn't want to try it.

My personal best was not on a power trail, 240 in 24 hours with one other cacher. I think that's good enough for me.

For someone to "Seek, Find AND rehide" 1000 geocaches in one 24 hour period, that geocacher would have to be operating at 1 geocache every 1.44 minutes.

That's in a 24 hour period folks. No sleep, no bathroom breaks, no FUEL breaks and would require driving, eating and caching in rotations.

My personal best was not on a power trail, 240 in 24 hours with one other cacher. I think that's good enough for me.

Would be difficult for "you" but wouldnt be difficult for a group sharing the same finds after the various methods of logging multiple caches one after the other. Leapfrogging, three cache monte (also known by other names) just to get number

For me sounds pointless - although me and my Dad did grab a few along roads where he grabbed and I signed whilst I was sat with engine running, only because it was a single track road and we didnt want to block it

According to the Geocaching Fact Sheet on Geocaching.com, there are only three rules.

1. If you take something, leave something of equal or greater value.

2. You must sign the log.

3. You must log it online at Geocaching.com

Interesting interpretation..... :ph34r:

Recently in S. Nevada

Two crews reported 1500+ caches in 21 hours

Yet another crew reported 1500+ caches in 20.25 hours

I met with the first and second crews and they were not leap-froggers.

The first crew did it in one continuous grind.

I really don't think it is possible no matter how someone tries to justify it. That said it makes no difference to me what others do while Geocaching. Different strokes as they say.

No sleep, pee n a cup, bring a full gas can (or park a fully fueled vehicle at the halfway point and switch), eat while others are finding. That is exactly how they do it. It is possible to do because I know people who have done it. No leapfrogging, no container swapping. All anybody has to do is watch the video previously shown in this thread. Repeat that over the course of 24 hours and you can indeed rack up a thousand or more finds in a day. All it takes is the will and an incredible tolerance for monotony.

It's certainly not my cup of tea. I love to hike but I doubt I would have enjoyed the Bataan Death March. To me this would be the geocaching equivalent. But as others said here, to each his own.

I really don't think it is possible no matter how someone tries to justify it. That said it makes no difference to me what others do while Geocaching. Different strokes as they say.

No sleep, pee n a cup, bring a full gas can (or park a fully fueled vehicle at the halfway point and switch), eat while others are finding. That is exactly how they do it. It is possible to do because I know people who have done it. No leapfrogging, no container swapping. All anybody has to do is watch the video previously shown in this thread. Repeat that over the course of 24 hours and you can indeed rack up a thousand or more finds in a day. All it takes is the will and an incredible tolerance for monotony.

It's certainly not my cup of tea. I love to hike but I doubt I would have enjoyed the Bataan Death March. To me this would be the geocaching equivalent. But as others said here, to each his own.

Really? equating caching on a Power Trail to the "Bataan Death March" How many service men were killed? and you compare it to that even with the problems that the ET Trail had I don't believe anyone was forced to do it and I don't think anyone was killed! That's definitely worse than the stupid cheese head comment!

Edited by fresgo

Really? equating caching on a Power Trail to the "Bataan Death March" How many service men were killed? and you compare it to that even with the problems that the ET Trail had I don't believe anyone was forced to do it and I don't think anyone was killed! That's definitely worse than the stupid cheese head comment!

Did you mean "cheese ball" comment?

Did you mean "cheese ball" comment?

cheese ball - cheese head either way, unless you're a Packer fan I guess.

Hyperbole ( /haɪˈpɜrbəliː/ hy-pur-bə-lee;[1] Greek: ὑπερβολή, 'exaggeration') is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.

Hyperboles are exaggerations to create emphasis or effect. As a literary device, hyperbole is often used in poetry, and is frequently encountered in casual speech. An example of hyperbole is: "The bag weighed a ton."[2] Hyperbole helps to make the point that the bag was very heavy, although it is not probable that it would actually weigh a ton.

Hyperbole ( /haɪˈpɜrbəliː/ hy-pur-bə-lee;[1] Greek: ὑπερβολή, 'exaggeration') is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.

Hyperboles are exaggerations to create emphasis or effect. As a literary device, hyperbole is often used in poetry, and is frequently encountered in casual speech. An example of hyperbole is: "The bag weighed a ton."[2] Hyperbole helps to make the point that the bag was very heavy, although it is not probable that it would actually weigh a ton.

That's funny! While missing my point I guess you don't support the power trail either and name calling, moral equivalence, and hyperbole are acceptable when discussing one's dislike of them, cool got it!

That's funny! While missing my point I guess you don't support the power trail either and name calling, moral equivalence, and hyperbole are acceptable when discussing one's dislike of them, cool got it!

Who's missing the point? briansnat's post did not condone or even refer to the aforementioned comments regarding cheese... ball, head or otherwise. He was merely offering his opinion of Power Trails after clearly stating how he knows they have been done in the past. I serioulsy doubt that briansnat really thinks that Power Caching is liek the Bataan Death March. I was merely pointing out that your overreaction to his comments and now extrapolation that I must not like Power Trails either is somewhat misguided.

Sarcasm. You forgot sarcasm.

Who's missing the point? briansnat's post did not condone or even refer to the aforementioned comments regarding cheese... ball, head or otherwise. He was merely offering his opinion of Power Trails after clearly stating how he knows they have been done in the past. I serioulsy doubt that briansnat really thinks that Power Caching is liek the Bataan Death March. I was merely pointing out that your overreaction to his comments and now extrapolation that I must not like Power Trails either is somewhat misguided.

Well at least I know I am misguided as well!

At least I know I was the one that was misguided and not the ones making the comments!

It is not much fun to be called names and to be accused of cheating by claiming to do something falsely labeled as "impossible." So, that is bound to generate a little angst. Hopefully the angst will be directed positively, to broaden the OP's perspective on how others enjoy geocaching.

Apparently it's ok!