GPS recommendations

goddess25

So I have basically just started geocaching and am really enjoying the adventure not to mention getting outside more. I have been using my IPhone and the geo app so far but am thinking about purchasing an actual GPS because I do not have much data on my Iphone and its getting pretty used up plus the battery doesn't last long. I have been looking at the eTrex Venture HC on ebay and it sounds pretty good but it also sounds like I will still have to use my Iphone for hint/description/past logs. I am just wondering if there is one that is close to that price point that I could download that information onto. Can you also download from iphone to GPS when out and about?

Thanks in advance.

:)

So I have basically just started geocaching and am really enjoying the adventure not to mention getting outside more. I have been using my IPhone and the geo app so far but am thinking about purchasing an actual GPS because I do not have much data on my Iphone and its getting pretty used up plus the battery doesn't last long. I have been looking at the eTrex Venture HC on ebay and it sounds pretty good but it also sounds like I will still have to use my Iphone for hint/description/past logs. I am just wondering if there is one that is close to that price point that I could download that information onto. Can you also download from iphone to GPS when out and about?

Thanks in advance.

:)

I was in the same boat a couple of weeks ago, recently started caching with an iPhone but kept maxing my Data allowance and the aGPS is a PITA sometimes when you're out of coverage i decided to get the Garmin Dakota 20. After much searching i found Amazon to be the cheapest at £166, but that was last week so the price may have changed since.

The closest unit I can think of to the Venture HC'S price that holds cache info is probably the new eTrex 10. But its a basic unit without mapping. You can go up a notch to the eTrex 20 if you want mapping capability.

Thanks for your suggestion will look it up! I dont mind paying a bit extra just not a couple hundred $. Cheers!

If you look at my resource site I've a comparison table of all the features of the Garmin and Magellan GPS devices. It doesn't make recommendations but lets you see which ones can use maps (and which maps), which will do paperless geocaching and so on. Also explains the features such as the compass (GPS, 2-axis and 3-axis) and the actual receiver bit and how that works. All written I hope in easy to understand terms - there is more technical stuff there if you want to go and read it! Please note it is written for UK geocachers so prices and some maps referred to are for the UK.

Link under my signature - GPS-Maps-Coords page.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books