How much do you pay to set up your geocache?

Yorkie30

I have been getting some bits together today to make up some new Geocaches and I was just wandering how much people pay to make up Geocaches. So far I have spent the following:

• Plastic lock and seal box - £1.25
  • 1 geo cache sticker - 95p
  • 1 notebook for log - 69p
  • 1 pen to write with - 35p
  • 1 stash card - 35p
  • 2 aeroplanes for swaps - 50p
  • 1 yo yo for swaps - 30p
  • 1 toy car for swaps - 40p
  • 1 puncture repair kit for swaps - £1
  • Total = £5.79

I know that not many people still put swaps inside but I am old fashioned in that way and think a cache should have a few treasures for the kids.

I have put together 7 caches today so it soon adds up and I don't want to put out any micros not that I am against them put I live in a rural area and don't really see a need to hide a micro where I can hide a 1L Tupperware.

Just wandered what other people pay - I have no idea how much people pay for Ammo cans but it must be more then I pay for the entire contents above.

Poundland were doing a pack of 3 circular clip boxes of different sizes for well, £1 of course, and also 3 small square boxes also for £1. I'm not sure if they still do the offer, or whether it's only in certain stores.

Of course, if you want something bigger like a 1 litre clip box or an ammo can, then it will cost more.

I have been getting some bits together today to make up some new Geocaches and I was just wandering how much people pay to make up Geocaches.

I generally pay a bit more for the container as I find that gives me a good quality clip top box, more water-resistant, less likely for the hinges to drop off.

Notebooks I try to get for a bit less, and I get the pens and pencils cheaper in bulk. Stash card I make and laminate myself. Swaps similar to yours.

But the most expensive component is my time :lol: . It takes me half an hour to stick on the camo tape.

Rgds, Andy

It varies a lot. I've started to make my own cache containers with found objects - free container, £1 or so for decorative/camo materials sometimes. If I buy a container, I buy 2 or 3 and keep the others as backup for quick replacements.

I spend a little more on logs and get mini Rite in the Rain/waterproof ones. 3 for £5 for a cache big enough. £5 for a larger one. For micro/nano caches, I buy the sheets of waterproof paper and print my own. pennies.

Make my own stash cards and laminate them - pennies. No stickers so far.

Swaps - varies a lot, but around £5 - £10 to start off.

Camo bag - make my own from old clothing or buy good ones for around £2 (sometimes make these into 2 bags, so another 70p for an extra toggle)

I like the puncture repair kit idea for a swap! :)

I've put out containers that were essentially free - a peach jar, a note pad and pen that were a promotional gift, a few toys that a friend's kid had grown out of and didn't want.

I've also put out ammo cans stuffed with swaps - easily over a tenner.

I guess a £3/4 is about average for me. We bulk buy swaps, containers and notebooks when we see them cheap to keep the cost down.

For me the effort put into a container is important - it's one of the reasons I only have a few hides to my name, but I think quality over quantity personally. Others I know feel differently and that's their prerogative.

I set my first cache today and bought everything from the 99p Shop, Poundland or Wilkinsons:

Notepad (10 for £1.00) = 10p

Pencil (12 for £1.00) = 8p

Seal bags (20 for £1.00), two used = 10p

Glow sticks as swappables (3 for £1) = 33p

Disposable camera = £3.00

FTF prize = £1.00

Trackable (from another cache) = Free

Top secret disguise for my cache ;) = £1.00

Lock box = £1.00

= £6.58, but £3.00 of that was the camera.

Just got everything crossed that the reviewer will accept it! :)

I paid about a fiver for an ammo box and put around £15-£20 worth of swaps in. I didn't mean to spend that much but I got carried away with Ebay shopping for kids stuff (Dinosaur Top Trumps! Who could resist?). I've only put the one cache out so far (quality, not quantity - I see where some people are sticking their caches and wonder WHY!?) but I suspect I'll be a bit more frugal next time. Forget that, I'm talking rubbish, I'll get carried away with the nostalgia items again!