Stolen Cache Container

maxkim

I have recently put out a special magnetic bolt cache... the latest log reports the log being left on the wall but someone has pinched the mag bolt.... the gits... They must be cachers... both to find it and to take it but leave the log.... and in the NW as well... M :mad: :mad: :mad:

If you were very unlucky and a muggle did come across the bolt style cache I guess they would find it a real novelty and love taking it and leaving the log.

Alternatively, if it is an unscrupulous cacher then look out for another bolt cache in a 20 mile radius soon!!!!.

I made a small wowoden disguised nano that I hid in a tree in a park. After a number of finds a DNF was reported and I popped out to find that it was missing. I went back with a similar replacement later on that day but thought I better check the cache again the following evening. When I went back both caches were sitting together both perfectly okay. A muggle with a conscience?.

Our small bucket cache on Wimbledon Common was emptied and taken to where another cache is situated. It was just dumped there :blink: The other cache was left alone but the culprit must have been a cacher because it was taken to where another cache was! :mad: Sadly, all the TBs and coins it contained were taken. Is there too much media coverage of our game now?

Someone took my magnetic key hide cache before it was published, but that was on a bench, so it was maybe just a bad place. I lost a nice little tin in a home made camo bag with a Rite in the Rain log and stash card and tiny swaps. I think a dog must have found it and the owner pick it up, judging from the way the stickoflage was scattered. Sad about that one.

We have a church micro. It is a film can. It had a little magnet inside covered in gaffa tape to hold it in place and it was stuck to a road sign. Some logs mentioned it being in a "precarious" place and were impressed that it had stayed balanced. What do they mean? It was securely stuck with a magnet. I went and investigated and someone had actually sliced open the gaffa tape, stolen the magnet, then balanced the cannister on the road sign. You can't tell me it wasn't another cacher that did that! A muggle would have taken the whole thing.

I covered a new magnet in Araldite and again covered it in gaffa tape then made the listing "Premium members only". Grrrr...

Hmmmm. A few caches have gone in the Kendal area recently, all have had similar disappearances. The container gone, but the log left and a note added. Possibly all the same person. Notes have said something along the lines of 'How sad'. But of course, far less sad than that kind of behaviour. Something to be said about awkward puzzles - far less likely to be muggled like this because it takes a bit of effort to find them. So most of your caches should be fine! :grin:

We have a church micro. It is a film can. It had a little magnet inside covered in gaffa tape to hold it in place and it was stuck to a road sign. Some logs mentioned it being in a "precarious" place and were impressed that it had stayed balanced. What do they mean? It was securely stuck with a magnet. I went and investigated and someone had actually sliced open the gaffa tape, stolen the magnet, then balanced the cannister on the road sign. You can't tell me it wasn't another cacher that did that! A muggle would have taken the whole thing.

I covered a new magnet in Araldite and again covered it in gaffa tape then made the listing "Premium members only". Grrrr...

You are assuming it was a non-premium member then! This raises the question of what is a muggle? Is it someone who has an app on an iphone and just takes caches for fun (as I am told it is), or is it someone stumbling across something and removing it? The whole PREMIUM/NON-PREMIUM debate is interesting as I have been told of Premium caches being muggled as much as non-premium. I believe that most mugglings are innocent (in the sense that there was no malice aforethought) so I would question whether Premiumising a cache will actually make much difference. That's just my opinion though and any empirical evidence to the contrary might change that.

Anyway, I will investigate tomorrow and report back Cassandy. ;)

You are assuming it was a non-premium member then!

The Premium Member thing makes it one step nearer of judging who the culprit was.

By viewing the audit log you will see all members that have viewed the cache page. :blink:

Ooooh! What's the audit log and where do you find it? :ph34r: I'd love to work out who caused the demise of our Stump the Common tub cache :mad:

The Premium Member thing makes it one step nearer of judging who the culprit was.

By viewing the audit log you will see all members that have viewed the cache page. :blink:

Ooooh! What's the audit log and where do you find it? :ph34r: I'd love to work out who caused the demise of our Stump the Common tub cache :mad:

When You Create a Premium member cache there will be a red statement at the top of the page saying THIS IS A PREMIUM MEMBER ONLY CACHE immediately under that statement is a link to the audit log.

The log records all viewings of the page.

If you remove the Premium only member status the log record will be lost. :huh:

When You Create a Premium member cache there will be a red statement at the top of the page saying THIS IS A PREMIUM MEMBER ONLY CACHE immediately under that statement is a link to the audit log.

The log records all viewings of the page.

If you remove the Premium only member status the log record will be lost. :huh:

Oh poop! :unsure: It wasn't a PM only cache. :(

Not if you follow my point that most mugglings are opportunistic. Being able to view who has viewed your cache page is, well, just that, an ability to see members who have viewed your cache page. If you want to then start accusing Premium members of muggling caches then that's your prerogative. Like I said, I am willing to be persuaded that caches being Premium reduces the chance of them being muggled but I have no empirical evidence of such a fact. If making caches Premium to stop muggling is the benchmark then, OK, let's make Geocaching a pay-as-you-play site. I would prefer an egalitarian site either way anyway. If you can't afford to play then you don't get to. Or if that is not the objective, then do away with Premium membership and stop dividing cachers. I will take up Premium membership if it is reasonably priced and the only way to cache. The current situation just seems to create division as far as I can see. If this is to be a member-only sport that you pay for (a la golf club membership for example) then fine, I'll just cycle/walk around the country(ies) and from time to time find a geocache and log it. I don't agree with a two-tier system. Just shut us out or welcome us whole-heartedly.

I'm sure this argument has been made before on this forum so I apologise if it bores older members. I just don't see why you would differentiate between members unless it was purely a marketing ploy and Premium members should be outraged for having being taken in. Of course, making it a PAY-AS-YOU-GO-SITE might mean that the break-even point is, say $5 per annum. But I bet you that that will never happen......

Edited by Bendos
I would prefer an egalitarian site either way anyway. If you can't afford to play then you don't get to. Or if that is not the objective, then do away with Premium membership and stop dividing cachers.
You can always use opencaching.org.uk instead, it's pretty much like Groundspeak with premium membership except you don't pay. But there is one other crucial difference - we don't have QUITE so many caches listed :lol: .
I will take up Premium membership if it is reasonably priced and the only way to cache.
As you realise, it's certainly not the only way to cache, but you can hardly claim it is not reasonably priced. About 30 pence a week is very reasonable, especially compared to other costs most people incur, such as a GPSr or suitably specified phone, a broadband connection, transport, walking boots and other gear.
The current situation just seems to create division as far as I can see.
In that case you are looking too hard. I've been caching for years and never seen any evidence of that.
I don't agree with a two-tier system. Just shut us out or welcome us whole-heartedly. I just don't see why you would differentiate between members unless it was purely a marketing ploy and Premium members should be outraged for having being taken in.
They are a company with many employees and other outgoings. They have to get income from somewhere. If you believe paying for extra facilities and to support the game is being "taken in" you have a grossly distorted view of your peers - those who pay know exactly what they are paying for, we are aware we are subsidising those who choose not to pay and it's not a problem.

Rgds, Andy

This raises the question of what is a muggle? Is it someone who has an app on an iphone and just takes caches for fun (as I am told it is)

I think you shouldnt judge every app user as a muggle who just takes cache boxes and mags for fun! Im quite hurt by that, because i cant afford a proper GPS at the moment (as i have a child an he comes first no matter what) and im using my app on my htc desire.....i got this phone from a family member and was pleased to start caching using my phone! Are you saying that app users dont respect the game and just go out to ruin it for everyone else??

I think you need to find another topic on here that explains that a geocacher with A LOT of caches under their belts had been going to certain ones and taking the contents out and also doing abit of arm chair logging aswell (oh btw he has a garmin gps system :blink:

Hope people dont jump on this theory........because its pants!!!!! :mad:

This raises the question of what is a muggle? Is it someone who has an app on an iphone and just takes caches for fun (as I am told it is)

I think you shouldnt judge every app user as a muggle who just takes cache boxes and mags for fun! Im quite hurt by that, because i cant afford a proper GPS at the moment (as i have a child an he comes first no matter what) and im using my app on my htc desire.....i got this phone from a family member and was pleased to start caching using my phone! Are you saying that app users dont respect the game and just go out to ruin it for everyone else??

Call me silly - but that's not what he was saying at all. Where does he say he's talking about every app user?

Some app users may go out and steal caches for fun. Some handheld users may go out and do the same. There's nothing in either of those two statements that says - or even implies - that every app or handheld user muggles caches!