Are we being Hijacked?

geocacher_coza

This is in reference to my post in another thread.

I have this concern that geocaching in South Africa, as we know it, is coming to an end. Gone are the days that someone could voice their opinion about the wonderful sport that we all enjoy. It seems like there are a select few that aggressively react to anything said and done that is not according to their own agenda.

Speaking about agenda.... the select few I'm talking about is slowly but surely starting a takeover bid to ensure that their views and ways of doing things are the only ones that count. You just have to look at the replies to some of the treads in this forum to see that they oppose anything and anybody that is going to stand in their way.

Even on Facebook they have taken over the Geocaching SA page. A while back someone started another forum page about geocaching for South Africa. He was quickly told that it is not needed and that the only site is the official one and that GOSA does not approve of it. Other people were silenced on the Facebook page by banning them from the page. Hardy a fair way of running the business.

Below is the quote from the geocacher SA page. It seems like they think that their website that they will have must be the only one. I like the statement "represent Geocachers in South Africa and form part of the mechanism for GoSA - the legal entity of Geocachers of South Africa." The person that posted that statement forgot to say that it only represents a small portion of the cachers out there.

Hello - Just to let you know that we will be setting up a website that will represent Geocachers in South Africa and form part of the mechanism for GoSA - the legal entity of Geocachers of South Africa. We needed to set up this legal entity for the MEGA Event, but we will not limit it to that. The main thing is to promote geocaching in South Africa and the MEGA will just be one of the tasks.

Speaking about GOSA.... At first I thought it was a good idea. Then I started digging. Who are these people? Who appointed them? Did every member of geocaching community in South Africa get the chance to vote for representation? No I do not think so. Now they want to force this entity onto us! I feel that whoever signs the constitution should first have been nominated by the entire geocaching community and then we should have all had the opportunity to vote for our preferred candidates. This opportunity was not given to us. As someone else said in another thread,

but the current format/purpose just does not seem plausable.

I ask the question to this select few........ Why are you doing this? What is the real reason? Is it personal financial gain or is it just in your nature to bully and be in charge?

Maybe I missed it but nowhere is the names of all the officials etc. Only one name is mentioned and that is of the Western Cape Representative. May I also asked how this person was voted into power? When asked questions on the GOSA thread the standard answer is-- "send me a PM"

Then I have a problem with the following in the constitution. The selected few choose them self to be in all the positions of this organization so now they can decide who can become members as well! This is exactly what they doing with the facebook geocaching SA page. Worked themselves into the admin position and when someone gets to vocal against them he is out!

Conditions and Criteria: The Board of Directors may determine the conditions and criteria for membership. Applications for membership that do not comply with such conditions and criteria may be refused by the Board of Directors.

I'm sorry if I'm stepping on a few toes here but someone has to stand up and say something. I for one have had numerous emails from people that feel the same way as me but are not saying it in the open.

Let's rather use our energy and do some constructive geocaching. Let's get geocaching back to a sport where the whole family can go out and enjoy a good find. Let's teach the fellow cachers the true meaning of geocaching! We have a beautiful country. We have place some of the best cache areas in the world but, no we choose to flood the areas with micros that mean nothing other than getting numbers up.

I stand by my statement and if anybody would like to speak to me personally or get into a dialog about it feel free to send me a PM. Any abuse please keep it here on the tread so that the geocaching community can see what you made off...

Edited by geocacher_coza

This is in reference to my post in another thread.

I have this concern that geocaching in South Africa, as we know it, is coming to an end. Gone are the days that someone could voice their opinion about the wonderful sport that we all enjoy. It seems like there are a select few that aggressively react to anything said and done that is not according to their own agenda.

Speaking about agenda.... the select few I'm talking about is slowly but surely starting a takeover bid to ensure that their views and ways of doing things are the only ones that count. You just have to look at the replies to some of the treads in this forum to see that they oppose anything and anybody that is going to stand in their way.

Even on Facebook they have taken over the Geocaching SA page. A while back someone started another forum page about geocaching for South Africa. He was quickly told that it is not needed and that the only site is the official one and that GOSA does not approve of it. Other people were silenced on the Facebook page by banning them from the page. Hardy a fair way of running the business.

Speaking about GOSA.... At first I thought it was a good idea. Then I started digging. Who are these people? Who appointed them? Did every member of geocaching community in South Africa get the chance to vote for representation? No I do not think so. Now they want to force this entity onto us! I feel that whoever signs the constitution should first have been nominated by the entire geocaching community and then we should have all had the opportunity to vote for our preferred candidates. This opportunity was not given to us. As someone else said in another thread,

but the current format/purpose just does not seem plausable.

I ask the question to this select few........ Why are you doing this? What is the real reason? Is it personal financial gain or is it just in your nature to bully and be in charge?

I'm sorry if I'm stepping on a few toes here but someone has to stand up and say something. I for one have had numerous emails from people that feel the same way as me but are not saying it in the open.

Let's rather use our energy and do some constructive geocaching. Let's get geocaching back to a sport where the whole family can go out and enjoy a good find. Let's teach the fellow cachers the true meaning of geocaching! We have a beautiful country. We have place some of the best cache areas in the world but, no we choose to flood the areas with micros that mean nothing other than getting numbers up.

I stand by my statement and if anybody would like to speak to me personally or get into a dialog about it feel free to send me a PM. Any abuse please keep it here on the tread so that the geocaching community can see what you made off...

I noticed that some of the finds that you have logged in South Africa are owned by an account in New Zealand. They tryed to cross-list them to another site but maintiance issues came up. The CO fled the Country and abandoned their listings leaving them for the geocommunity to maintain. Is this common in South Africa? I'm not sure Groundspeak would allow this in the USA. I thought the listings were the CO's responsabality, not the geocommunity in a forign Country far away from them? :surprise:

I fear I might be target for saying this, but I am part of the "select few". I am the current Treasurer for GoSA. Let me just put this out there: There is absolutely NO benefit, financial or other, for any of us. At this stage this has cost me the same, if not more, than all I have spend on geocaching...

Bear in mind that it is me who is being quoted as saying "but the current format/purpose just does not seem plausable." I raised my concerns, and it was taken into account. I am unaware of any of the incidents being referred to. If it is true, and you have some sort of proof (a statement by the victim is sufficcient), please let me know and I will investigate it.

@geocacher_coza, email sent. Please reply?

@Manville Possum Hunters, As far as I know, all listings are the responsibility of the owner, unless they have been adopted by another geocacher. If you find any of those sort of geocaches that are not being maintained, please inform a reviewer and they will look into it. The listing might be archived, and the cache might physically be removed if the owner is not maintaining, nor willing to cooperate with an adoption. We have 2 reviewers in South Africa (as far as I know).

Regards

I fear I might be target for saying this, but I am part of the "select few". I am the current Treasurer for GoSA. Let me just put this out there: There is absolutely NO benefit, financial or other, for any of us. At this stage this has cost me the same, if not more, than all I have spend on geocaching...

Bear in mind that it is me who is being quoted as saying "but the current format/purpose just does not seem plausable." I raised my concerns, and it was taken into account. I am unaware of any of the incidents being referred to. If it is true, and you have some sort of proof (a statement by the victim is sufficcient), please let me know and I will investigate it.

@geocacher_coza, email sent. Please reply?

@Manville Possum Hunters, As far as I know, all listings are the responsibility of the owner, unless they have been adopted by another geocacher. If you find any of those sort of geocaches that are not being maintained, please inform a reviewer and they will look into it. The listing might be archived, and the cache might physically be removed if the owner is not maintaining, nor willing to cooperate with an adoption. We have 2 reviewers in South Africa (as far as I know).

Regards

It is not my business to report to a reviewer in South Africa what is going on there. I'm quite sure that you and the reviewers are aware of the account and listings that I am speaking of. I was made aware of them when the CO tryed to cross-list them to a geocaching site that I am a reviewer on. The community on that site rejected the listings because the CO abandoned the caches and fled the Country never to return. Those listings are not my concern. I just feel that the OP has some valid points after knowing a little about how geocaching is done in South Africa.

Edit: OP, not CO.

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters

It is not my business to report to a reviewer in South Africa what is going on there. I'm quite sure that you and the reviewers are aware of the account and listings that I am speaking of. I was made aware of them when the CO tryed to cross-list them to a geocaching site that I am a reviewer on. The community on that site rejected the listings because the CO abandoned the caches and fled the Country never to return. Those listings are not my concern. I just feel that the CO has some valid points after knowing a little about how geocaching is done in South Africa.

Actually, I have no idea. But if I ever came accross a listing that has been neglected, I would certainly ask the CO to do maintenance, do it myself or bring the cache under a reviewers attention. But that is just my modus operandi...

It is not my business to report to a reviewer in South Africa what is going on there. I'm quite sure that you and the reviewers are aware of the account and listings that I am speaking of. I was made aware of them when the CO tryed to cross-list them to a geocaching site that I am a reviewer on. The community on that site rejected the listings because the CO abandoned the caches and fled the Country never to return. Those listings are not my concern. I just feel that the CO has some valid points after knowing a little about how geocaching is done in South Africa.

Actually, I have no idea. But if I ever came accross a listing that has been neglected, I would certainly ask the CO to do maintenance, do it myself or bring the cache under a reviewers attention. But that is just my modus operandi...

PM sent. See what you think, no need to reply.

My understanding of GOSA is that there is a group of people who are trying to plan a MEGA Event. Now with reading through the varies forums, in order to plan/organise a MEGA event they need to raise funds ect. They cannot do this without a proper constitution. Hence the constitution.

There is no way that GOSA can stop me or anyone else from geocaching in South Africa. Nor can they stop the placement of caches. Therefore in my humble opinion there is no way that they can force/coerce me to pay them a membership fee. At the same time I don't believe they can stop me from blogging my experience of geocaching in South Africa.

Hi Pete/TechnoNut

You have akmost got the entire picture. The main purpose and function of GoSA is the promotion and support of geocaching in South Africa. The secondary function of GoSA is the organising, funding, planning and executing of hosting a Mega Event(s) in South Africa. This is set out in the adopted constitution. It might seem that the main focus is the Mega, but it is not. However, it is currently the main focus as the organising of the event will inevitably lead to supporting/promoting geocaching in SA. This is the result of the planning of the event, and thus fulfilling the main purpose of GoSA whilst saving time to plan a decent event for ALL geocachers interested to enjoy. Other than that, it is up to the members (all of them) to decide if they want to add something.

By all means, play Devil's Advocate. It would only help us build a better organisation, and therefore all geocachers in SA (and on our beloved planet) could be benefitted.

Neil (or anybody else), feel free to add to what I have stated.

Jacques

You have almost got the entire picture. The main purpose and function of GoSA is the promotion and support of geocaching in South Africa.

I am very pleased to see that the words "control" and "regulate" do not feature in your description. :D

I for one would be very unhappy if they did. Either now or in the future. This is what I think some cachers are scared of. And it needs an very clear statement of that from the GoSA Chairman (once apppointed) so that those who fear a controlling environment can sleep at night.

PT

I am very pleased to see that the words "control" and "regulate" do not feature in your description. :D

I for one would be very unhappy if they did. Either now or in the future. This is what I think some cachers are scared of. And it needs an very clear statement of that from the GoSA Chairman (once apppointed) so that those who fear a controlling environment can sleep at night.

PT

Good to know, and I agree. Be sure to tell him/her once you have appointed them ;)

PS. Would the temporary Chairperson suffice?

Edited by Black James Cash

Good to know, and I agree. Be sure to tell him/her once you have appointed them ;)

PS. Would the temporary Chairperson suffice?

I've said my piece. Now it is up to GoSA to make a statement. And calm things down.

It is not my business to report to a reviewer in South Africa what is going on there. I'm quite sure that you and the reviewers are aware of the account and listings that I am speaking of. I was made aware of them when the CO tryed to cross-list them to a geocaching site that I am a reviewer on. The community on that site rejected the listings because the CO abandoned the caches and fled the Country never to return. Those listings are not my concern. I just feel that the OP has some valid points after knowing a little about how geocaching is done in South Africa.

We actually have two different conversation threads going in this post. But to answer Manville Possum Hunters, yes this is Africa and we are not the USA. There are certain regional considerations the reviewers make here and they are fully aware of them. The team in question who "fled the country" did a great deal to promote geocaching in South Africa when geocaching was in its infancy here. They were responsible for placing a great many caches. The community here, where possible, out of respect for them, try and maintain said caches to the best of our ability. Only as a last resort will we recommend archiving caches. We are not in the habit of just archiving caches for the sake of archiving them, especially old established caches. In fact Rolf, aka Ingwe9, has put much effort in to maintaining some of the caches in question. Rather than adopting them, he maintains them for the team in New Zealand.

As for our reviewers, they deserve our thanks and highest respect because they have put a lot into the game voluntarily for our enjoyment. So to our erstwhile reviewer, Fish Eagle and our incumbants: ROTSIP and Ingwe9, thank you for all your hard work : We salute you all.

Thank you too for your support at the many events as well.

We actually have two different conversation threads going in this post. But to answer Manville Possum Hunters, yes this is Africa and we are not the USA. There are certain regional considerations the reviewers make here and they are fully aware of them. The team in question who "fled the country" did a great deal to promote geocaching in South Africa when geocaching was in its infancy here. They were responsible for placing a great many caches. The community here, where possible, out of respect for them, try and maintain said caches to the best of our ability. Only as a last resort will we recommend archiving caches. We are not in the habit of just archiving caches for the sake of archiving them, especially old established caches. In fact Rolf, aka Ingwe9, has put much effort in to maintaining some of the caches in question. Rather than adopting them, he maintains them for the team in New Zealand.

As for our reviewers, they deserve our thanks and highest respect because they have put a lot into the game voluntarily for our enjoyment. So to our erstwhile reviewer, Fish Eagle and our incumbants: ROTSIP and Ingwe9, thank you for all your hard work : We salute you all.

Thank you too for your support at the many events as well.

No need to try and explain to me, I belived all the CO said when they posted on OpenCaching.com, and I belive the OP here has valid concerns from the nature/content of the posts by the CO because the geocommunity of that site did not agree with their caches being cross-listed to the site because of distance issues. If they say they were held up at gun point and hyjacked on the way to a geoevent that they orginized, so they fled the Country then it must be true. They left me with the opinion that geocaching in South Africa and Swaziland was only for the wealthy.

I am relatively new to Geocaching (48 finds and 4 hides)

I just enjoy it as a fun hobby, but after reading this forum, it all seems like politics!

This spoils it for some people, and if the politics get too much then whats the use of geocaching in the first place?

It should be fun and absolutely stress less! What this is doing is making it stressful for some people, and then they might fail to see the point of doing it in the first place.

Geocaching should be a hobby, it shouldnt feel like a job!

Edited by Katoolsie

I agree that geocaching should be fun, but there is another way of looking at it.

It was fun. No one saw it as a job. Things changed. Those that were passionate about the game were upset by the change. They voiced their distress.

I love geocaching. It IS fun. I DON'T see it as a job! I dislike power trails because they have upset a happy apple cart. I have expressed this. Please excuse my passion.

I just enjoy it as a fun hobby, but after reading this forum, it all seems like politics!

This spoils it for some people, and if the politics get too much then whats the use of geocaching in the first place?

It should be fun and absolutely stress less! What this is doing is making it stressful for some people, and then they might fail to see the point of doing it in the first place.

It really saddens me that certain threads make our newer cachers feel this way.

Edited by cownchicken

It really saddens me that certain threads make our newer cachers feel this way.

Dont worry.

I wont be put off by it. Ill just try to ignore it :)

Im too in love with Geocaching to give it up so easily

I belived all the CO said when they posted on OpenCaching.com, and I belive the OP here has valid concerns from the nature/content of the posts by the CO because the geocommunity of that site did not agree with their caches being cross-listed to the site because of distance issues. If they say they were held up at gun point and hyjacked on the way to a geoevent that they orginized, so they fled the Country then it must be true. They left me with the opinion that geocaching in South Africa and Swaziland was only for the wealthy.

Dear Manville Possum Hunters

(Apologies to SA geocacher, I think your thread was hijacked.. promise this is the only post I'll make on this section of the thread :) :) )

I can understand (and agree with) the concerns of the OpenCaching reviewer with regards to long distance maintenance - I'm sure this same team would not be allowed to publish new geocaches in SA today through geocaching.com due to the same reason.

I myself try to maintain a few of the existing caches that this geocaching team created while they were still living in SA.

..but that's not what I wanted to get into.

I wanted to mention that I don't agree that geocaching in SA is only for the wealthy. I'm not sure what may have given you that impression, but I'm certain it is a misunderstanding.

Geocaching in SA is for anyone who wants to participate.. I started off with a no-maps, arrow only, on-loan GPS and simply loved the game

sure, there may be politics, which I (mostly) try to ignore - until I get really irritable (hehe),

but it is not wealth-determined.

I have found many caches in SA and have hosted or co-hosted and attended events and I don't consider myself in the wealthy category. I also don't feel that I have to compete with others on a status or financial level.

I see us as mostly a bunch of random people who earn a decent, honest living and love the outdoors and the thrill of the hunt and find.

May we invite you to visit SA sometime and find a few caches and meet a few cachers to see for yourself? :)

Ginger-out

I wanted to mention that I don't agree that geocaching in SA is only for the wealthy. I'm not sure what may have given you that impression, but I'm certain it is a misunderstanding.

Geocaching in SA is for anyone who wants to participate.. I started off with a no-maps, arrow only, on-loan GPS and simply loved the game sure, there may be politics, which I (mostly) try to ignore - until I get really irritable (hehe),

Ginger-out

Hi

Before I carry on, I have a feeling that I am going to be sorry that I posted it here. Please don't read this as a race issue. It is not meant to be that, but it does seem to have a bearing on what I would term "wealthier".

I do think "we" (as in Geocachers) are definitely the "wealthier" segment of South Africa playing this game.

Sure there is an even more wealthier segments of South Africa. Some who can afford Harlies for their weekends outings, or perhaps have a private aeroplanes for weekends away. etc etc

From my observations in the past I have noticed that the "we" I am referring to above are mostly us whitees.

I think it was only at the one event hosted by CF at "The Ring" event where this was not the case (Maybe I go to the wrong events?).

I know there was the other event hosted by Glider Slider in PTA which I could not go to, but as far as I am aware it did not attract more people to the game. (Please correct me if I am wrong)

So "wealthier" in the context as I see it, is the broader South African people. Not just us geocachers who we know and play the game.

From: en.wikipedia.org (Don't trust me ... go read it there for your self!!)

On this page it states:

The median annual income of Black working adults aged 15–65 is ZAR 12,073.

That is just over R1000.00 per month!

On the same page it states:

The median annual income of White working adults aged 15–65 is ZAR 65,000

That is a little over R5,400.00 a month...

or just over 5 times the amount.

So .... Sorry... but I do think "we" Geocachers (as defined above) are (still) the wealthier portion of our South African society.

I do too fondly remember our early days of geocaching, just like Ginger. It was an arrow and a distance. We used to drive through suburbs to a cache, only later to find there was a main road that would have been twice as fast. Those were the best days of caching.

However I would not have cached if I only earned R 1000.00 a month. I think my proprieties would be set a little different.

As an example: We as the DamhuisClan have travelled just over 26 000 km from cache to cache as the crow flies in the last 5 years. If we work out petrol to be 50c per km, that would mean I have spent just over R13 000 on petrol alone (Realistically its more like R1.00 per caching km) ... or just over a years salary for the first group of people listed above.

I would also have thought that with all the GPSes coming out in smart phones, that a broader spectrum of South Africans would start caching. But this does not seem to have happened yet. I do hope though that it soon does. I think there would be some very good and interesting hides possible, that "we" current cachers have not even thought about.

Sorry if I stepped on toes, or offended any one .... it is not my meaning.

hmmm,

Agreed: Geocachers in SA are 'wealthy' in comparison to this country's averages.. but surely that doesn't mean we are exclusive? ..this was what I read (and want to defend) in the comment from Manville Possum Hunters.

They left me with the opinion that geocaching in South Africa and Swaziland was only for the wealthy.

In my opinion, if rated in Europe, my income would be 'comfortable', but because our country has such a high unemployment rate and so many people earning very little money, I am bumped up to 'wealthy' in SA terms.

Surely nowhere in the world are people who are struggling to make ends meat, making plans to spend money on geocaching outings anyway?

.. all hobbies/sports/activities cost a few bucks to lots of money, so only if you are 'wealthy enough', would you be doing these extras, right?

My point is that I don't feel that people are excluded from running around and getting smileys in this country any more than in any other country (due to being wealthy or not). If you can't afford internet and a GPS in any country, you are kinda excluded, but you don't need to have a 4x4 and the top of the range Garmin either.

I've known much tougher times (although in SA still rated wealthy, I suppose) surviving on a very tight budget and never felt I couldn't keep up with the Jones' Team.. I did my own thing according to my ability.. and still do.

I tend to cache mostly when on a trip/outing/visiting etc. - so the caching 'price' is usually already included in the other expenses I would have had anyway..

I just feel the impression was misplaced - although many cachers in SA may be 'wealthy', I don't agree that one has to be wealthy in SA to be part of this geo-community.

Maybe I misunderstand.

:)

(Eish - I just broke my promise... not a very good Ginger, am I? ;) )

Hmm that is a very good point. Which I think I missed earlier on.

If the "we" is a greater set of people outside of South Africa, then that evens out again.

Do "we" as (South African cachers) exclude people? To me that is a definite and huge resounding "NO"!

In actual fact I would love, and have been trying, to get more South Africans enjoy this game.

and I totally agree with Ginger. (after re-reading the original post) one does NOT need to be wealthy in SA to do geocaching. Its open to all who are willing to try it.

Edited by DamhuisClan

:) Thx Damhuis, I'm glad we're on the same page. hehe

Yes, Cincol, this thread was briefly 'hijacked'.. hehehe

Back to the topic... I don't feel geocaching is being hijacked. I don't care who forms what group (and I am aware of the purpose of the group/s that do exist). I don't need to feel I belong, I do my own thing. Everyone doesn't agree with or like me, but that's not influencing the fact that I love geocaching.

The trick is: consideration and tolerance - we all love different things. It's always good to discuss things, but it should never get personal.

..this forum is the most dangerous place to be - and could rather kill the game for some... as sometimes this place is a deep, dark, accusing, blaming, hating, badmouthing place. :)

..and the other battles we have, such as keeping geocaching in our parks etc, are rather the challenges that we need to face together to keep the game alive.