What would you do?

ArtieD

Hey all...I have a question for all of you.

I had a person visit this EarthCache of mine recently. They were obviously there because they took a picture but out of four questions they got three wrong. I sent an email asking for the correct answers.

My question is this...would you delete a log for wrong answers even if the visitor took pictures?

You are within your rights to. My own personal opinion is that as long as I have sufficient evidence that a cacher was at the site, and as long as they made an attempt to answer the questions, I let the log stand. But that's just me. I do, however, send a reply with the correct answers.

Edited by Arby Gee

People make mistakes, with a photo of being there, I'd let the log stand..

I had a person visit this EarthCache of mine recently. They were obviously there because they took a picture but out of four questions they got three wrong. I sent an email asking for the correct answers.

My question is this...would you delete a log for wrong answers even if the visitor took pictures?

Happy to hear these answers--we went to an earthcache today in Central Park aand most likely didn't get one or two of the answers right--I was nervous it wouldn't count! Awesome

There are a LOT of cachers who avoid Earthcaches for just this reason. Glad to hear you didn't!

Perhaps I am being a bit thickheaded here, but aren't EarthCache questions meant to be answered to show the cacher actually learned something? If the cacher answers incorrectly doesn't it mean they did not fulfill the logging requirements even with a picture?

Perhaps I am being a bit thickheaded here, but aren't EarthCache questions meant to be answered to show the cacher actually learned something? If the cacher answers incorrectly doesn't it mean they did not fulfill the logging requirements even with a picture?

Haha! I know what you're up to. You're right, you know. ;)

I think you have the right idea when thinking of maintaining cache integrity as a CO, but there has to be a little room for the odd freak occurence. For me I know that it isn't always about the accuracy of it either. We can all learn while still making errors, especially since finders may only get one shot at it. I tend to allow some latitude on my tasks, at times I have been advised by the reviewer that I will need to be generous with my expectations on certain tasks.

It doesn't cost me for them to get their smiley (even if some do it dishonestly), but when you take a smiley away it tends to get ugly. They can either come enjoy my EC or they can try and lie about it when a future finder asks them for help with it, lol. :lol:

Well, that makes one of us, then. I am seriously confused here. On one hand, as EarthCache owners we're charged with coming up with questions to see if cachers learned the lesson...on the other we have people who say let a log stand even if the answers are wrong.

I am completely serious here. Should we police a cacher's answers to make sure they are correct to reasonable parameters and delete logs that do not fall within those areas or do we turn a blind eye? If we choose to turn a blind eye then it begs the question of why we even have the questions in the first place?

I don't want to be a nazi with my EarthCaches but I don't want to be a pushover, either.

After looking at the questions on your EC, I say that only question #2 has a definitive 'correct' answer.

#1 asks 'what do you think', unless they discuss what they think about blueberry syrup, almost any answer will suffice.

#3 Maybe they have never seen a fossil, so they don't know what you are referring to at all.

#4 (consumer grade) GPS elevation is seriously inaccurate.

Perhaps they did say 'Fudge the questions' to themselves, but if they can prove they visited the site and at least thought about what you wanted to illustrate then I would let the log stand.

As stated above it might be a nice idea to follow through with the correct answers so the finder actually gets the information you wanted to impart.

Short answer..... No. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Expanded answer.... Anytime you as for someone to theorize about something then they are correct even if it may be wrong. You as asking for their conjecture. Now if there is a sign there stating the specific answer to your question, then they are either right or wrong.

Also maybe the data point has been taken down or replaced with a new data point which makes answering your question impossible. (That happened to me. I sent a pic of the sign to the CO and asked them to find the answer and they couldn't so my answer was correct.)

For one cache I had information that the CO didn't and photos to back up that information, so even though I couldn't find exactly what the CO wanted I could prove that I was there.

A photo (with the finder in it) proves that they were there, and that is the point. Anything else is an ALR. (IMHO)

Earthcaches are supposed to offer an educational experience. So I always respond to the required e-mail. If the answers are correct, I say so. If not, I give the correct ones. I sometimes ask questions that don't have easy answers. So I get a lot of wrong answers. But if a cacher shows he/she was there and makes an honest attempt to answer the questions, I let the log stand. I wish other cache owners would reply to my e-mails. If I don't know if my answer is right or wrong, I've lost an opportunity to learn.

Well, that makes one of us, then. I am seriously confused here. On one hand, as EarthCache owners we're charged with coming up with questions to see if cachers learned the lesson...on the other we have people who say let a log stand even if the answers are wrong.

I am completely serious here. Should we police a cacher's answers to make sure they are correct to reasonable parameters and delete logs that do not fall within those areas or do we turn a blind eye? If we choose to turn a blind eye then it begs the question of why we even have the questions in the first place?

I don't want to be a nazi with my EarthCaches but I don't want to be a pushover, either.

OK, sorry if I assumed something that I shouldn't have. But I would say that being Nazis is a really bad idea... or even college geology professors for that matter.

Well, I suppose I'll let the log stand. I just hate that someone can put so little effort into answering an EarthCache's questions.

But is it worse than them skipping it entirely? At least this way they may take away some small lesson. If they never came how could they have benefitted from your hard work? I agree with your decision, it shows maturity.

If their answers are incorrect, but you`re letting the log stand as they had proof of the visit, why not reply and inform them what answers you were looking for? This way they will still learn something, after all they made the effort to send the answers.

#4 (consumer grade) GPS elevation is seriously inaccurate.

that is wrong to generalize, maybe some are inaccurate but not all

my Oregon showed me the same elevation as the posted signs every time i checked

my guess is that since they took the picture with an iPod touch that is what they use to cache with too and have no idea how to figure out the elevation, if it even supports such feature

Well, I suppose I'll let the log stand. I just hate that someone can put so little effort into answering an EarthCache's questions.

you don't know how much effort they put into it, maybe that the best they can do...at least they bothered sending answers, even if they are wrong

unless you are asking about apples and they answer about oranges, they did make the best effort they could

i like Eartcaches and i appreciate the fact that we are supposed to "learn" something from them but after all this is a game not an education program

also some people don't plan at home to go to an Earthcache, just the plain act of reading those huge descriptions is an effort in the field lol..scroll and scroll and scroll some more :lol:

Edited by t4e

If their answers are incorrect, but you`re letting the log stand as they had proof of the visit, why not reply and inform them what answers you were looking for? This way they will still learn something, after all they made the effort to send the answers.

I would support that too.

Coming from a non-geological person and looking at the questions and the write up here's my thoughts.

Question 1. I wouldn't have a clue how to begin to answer that. If I was supposed to learn a lesson on how to differentiate between particles of stone it certainly wasn't taught in the 2 paragraphs of write up. I would at best be taking a guess at that one since I have no clue how to differentiate the two limestones and the shale.

Question 2. Again as non geological person I would look at your 2 paragraphs of write up and assume the answer is what you have there. I wouldn't have any other reference there unless there's a sign at the site that has more information.

Question 3. Other than a trilobyte I would not be able to differentiate between fossils. They would just be there. Some would look like fish. Some like shells but other than that I couldn't tell you what was what there. If that was supposed to be a lesson at this site it was not covered in the 2 paragraphs of geological lessons. I'd give you a rough estimate of what the size was.

Question 4. The elevation I had would be from my gps. It may or may not be correct. Not all units are good at determining elevation. If they are caching without a gps I would guess they had a difficult time determining elevation unless there is a sign on site. Determining elevation was not one of the lesson's taught in the 2 paragraphs of write up either.

If earth caches are supposed to be about learning and the questions are supposed to link into the lessons taught in the write up and then at the site then you can't really complain that they didn't learn anything when you didn't teach anything besides what era the rock was laid down in and some local legends.

I understand how hard it is to develop a EarthCache and have it published as I have some listed and more in draft and one in review that my son and I developed. I have found EC's that are so hard to answer that I have not bothered to log them. I just visited for the WOW factor anyway. Also have we have had a log deleted by a CO because he wanted to clearly see a face in the photo, and the answers were wrong as in your case here, but the CO cited the photo issue first. The same CO posted a note on another EC in another State saying that I was breaking the Law because I was armed with a holstered handgun on a roadside in a National Forest. That was not true, I was legally armed. I tryed to explain, then my answers were wrong. But they are the same answers that the CO has accepted from other users. I had to contact Groundspeak both times. And also I have had the same issue as you do here. A photo at the site and a few incorrect answers. Remembering how it feels to be geojerked around by some anal CO, I just sent the finder a thank you note and told them the correct answer. I won't take the time to develop ANY type listing that are not meant for others to enjoy. This is how I enjoy geocaching, by developing listings. I would rather hide than seek, so I would let the log stand. If you send users thank you notes, you may want to explain to them their answers were wrong and tell them them the correct answers.

I totally blew one answer this weekend on an EC and the cache owner patiently explained where I went wrong with my answer...so while I might not have learned the intended lesson at the location I did learn it from the feedback given be the cache owner. If the questions asked are subjective there needs to be a little leeway on the answers received from the finder.

A&T, yes it is supposed to be a spot where someone learns something. If I have a log that has partial answers and there was an attempt to learn I count the log, but I also take the time to guide them to what I was looking for and what the right answers were.

Not everyone is science minded...sometimes they need a nudge to get the right idea, sometimes it's a boot to the head.

I had to delete a finders log on one of my EC's last night because the finder posted the answers with their log. The user is new to geocaching with two finds, and the answers were not correct, but the person has local knowledge of the area. So I'm quite sure they visited the site. I sent them a note before deleting the log explaining why, and offered them to repost a find log. I had a geocacher with 2K finds do the same thing once, it was just a mistake. We don't have a great number of EC's in my area, but some of them are really nice. Waterfalls are the best, but guidelines have changed. Those copy/paste what kind of waterfall is this seemed too common, but I learned about the different types of waterfalls, plunge pools, ect. I only visit for the WOW factor anyway, and many are on hiking trails. Now that is how I like EarthCaching.

A quick answer to the highlighted question.........................no! Contrary to some people's belief, it's a game, not life or death! Sometimes we take our endeavors as well as ourselves much to seriously. :rolleyes:

A quick answer to the highlighted question.........................no! Contrary to some people's belief, it's a game, not life or death! Sometimes we take our endeavors as well as ourselves much to seriously. :rolleyes:

It is not life or death. Nor is it an exam. Hopefully, people who come to my caches will make an honest effort, learn a little bit, enjoy the area, or otherwise find the visit worthwhile. That is enough for me.

Some of the questions I ask are open ended -- what do you think, what did you discover when you did a particular task -- the answer that people come up with is less important to me than seeing that they have thought about the area or looked at something that they might have not known about otherwise.

As a finder, I do my best with the information as I understand it. The only time I have ever been given grief over an answer is with a question that I could not have possibly gotten "wrong" - take an elevation reading with your gpsr. I did, and reported what my unit told me. It was not within a 25 or 50 foot threshold of the owner's unit and if it had not been for the (allegedly optional) picture my log probably would have been deleted. Fortunately, most earthcache developers seem to take a far more open attitude. It is, after all, part of a game.

Edited by geodarts

It is not life or death. Nor is it an exam. Hopefully, people who come to my caches will make an honest effort, learn a little bit, enjoy the area, or otherwise find the visit worthwhile. That is enough for me.

Some of the questions I ask are open ended -- what do you think, what did you discover when you did a particular task -- the answer that people come up with is less important to me than seeing that they have thought about the area or looked at something that they might have not known about otherwise.

As a finder, I do my best with the information as I understand it. The only time I have ever been given grief over an answer is with a question that I could not have possibly gotten "wrong" - take an elevation reading with your gpsr. I did, and reported what my unit told me. It was not within a 25 or 50 foot threshold of the owner's unit and if it had not been for the (allegedly optional) picture my log probably would have been deleted. Fortunately, most earthcache developers seem to take a far more open attitude. It is, after all, part of a game.

We are with you, only wish others would see this as a game too! To those others, sure, play as you may, but there's no Super Bowl in sight and please grind up those red pencils! :P

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

I have a similar problem.

One of my earthcaches is at a very well known tourist spot.

If people take the effort to answer the questions, I let them log even if they're not too close to my own answers.

What I do get p***ed off with is the number of logs I get telling me that "our bus didn't stop long enough to let us complete the earthcache, so here's a picture to prove we were there...".

Well sorry - there's a virtual there too if you want proof that you visited for your records - but your find gets deleted!

If our earthcache logs were an exam, I couldn't say we've scored 100%. But we've tried, and we've always been willing to work with the cache owners to fix our answers if they were too far off. And as earthcache owners, we try to work with folks to make sure they are at least in the ballpark.

How wrong were the answers? Were they a little off or completely off? Did it seem like they were trying, or were they just checking the box?

If our earthcache logs were an exam, I couldn't say we've scored 100%. But we've tried, and we've always been willing to work with the cache owners to fix our answers if they were too far off. And as earthcache owners, we try to work with folks to make sure they are at least in the ballpark.

How wrong were the answers? Were they a little off or completely off? Did it seem like they were trying, or were they just checking the box?

Groundspeak created a game and believe it or not, earthcaches are but part of that same game!

Kudos to all the geologists out there, but most cachers are not of that persuasion. If you really think the cacher is 'trashing' your efforts, find another pass time or go ahead and delete! Sorry, but for the life of us, we don't see how people (owners) get their snickers in a bunch over the 'correctness' of an answer! Freud has a diagnosis for those who get hung up on such matters...."anal retentive"! Did I mention it's a game and please let's treat it as such and not a high school exam! :ph34r:

I would let it stand.

The questions are not supposed to be answerable without visiting the site. Why is this?..... to provide proof that you actually visited the site as EC's don't have a physical log book.

Yes a photo can no longer be required, but providing a unique photo also proves you were there.

I have this optional task on almost all of my EC's

Optional Task:) You are encouraged to post pictures of yourself (or your GPSr) at the well. Although this is no longer required by the earthcache guidelines, it would help confirm your "find" in the event that your answers are incorrect.

If someone gives correct answers, I thank them for visiting.

If someone gives different answers than what I was looking for, I thank them for visiting and explain the intent of my question and my answers.

If someone gives me the wrong answers, I give them the correct answers as a reply.

If someone gives no answers, I email them a reminder. - no response.....delete

If someone gives no answers but posts a unique picture, I email them a reminder - no response.... I let the log stand as they were clearly there.

Most may not agree with my last one there. Right or wrong, it's what I do.

I hesitated quite some time whether I should reply to your question within this subforum. Finally I decided for doing it.

I would contact the cacher and provide him/her with the feedback that most of the answers are wrong. If a difficult question is not

answered correctly, I most probably would just explain why the answer is wrong and provide explanations about a correct answer and how

it can be found. If also easy questions are not answered correctly or I obtain the feeling that the logger did not invest any effort at all,

then I would ask for another try. I am using a similar approach for my virtual cache and it happened several times that in the second round I

obtained better answers. I am not threatening with log deletion, but make it very clear if I feel that the answers are not within what I regard

as tolerance limits. It is then up to the cacher to decide how to react.

Others have written that geocaching is a game and not an exam. I do not like this sort of argument as I think that is is quite subjective what someone regards as fun and what as painful task. If I am encountering a cache container hidden up in a tree at the end of a relaxing walk that was easily manageable for me, the climbing task also feels like an exam for me because I have very bad memories related with such tasks. While I feel awfully bad when encountered with a climbing challenge (I am not against such caches, they are just not made for me), I enjoy intellectual challenges very much and do not feel like in an exam situation. Demanding the right for a found it log for an Earth cache without having put a reasonable amount of effort in answering the questions is for me the same as if just taking a photograph of the container in the tree (as a proof of having found it) and logging a found it without signing the log book. I do know that a few cachers log such found it logs, but many cachers are very negative about such logs. I cannot understand that many more cachers feel that found it logs for virtuals (including Earthcaches) based on just a proof of visit are ok.

I have experienced quite a number of situations throughout my caching career where I failed to meet some physical challenges - in some cases all other cachers that tried (at least who admitted to have made an attempt) succeeded and I was the only one that failed. I have to accept this and I'd like to encounter a similar attitude when others fail with some intellectual challenges (that's not only EC-related and also concerns e.g. difficult puzzle caches where visiting the cache without solving the puzzle is a common practice that is much less frowned upon than phyiscal logging caches without signing the log book due to physical limits).

I am aware of the fact that Earthcaches are not directed to specialists in geology. It is up to the reviewers to object against logging tasks that appear to difficult to them. Once approved, I however think that the logging tasks should at least have some value and not be regarded as irrelevant once the visit has been proved. Interestingly, I have never encountered any critical comments about Earthcaches with a very high terrain rating. These exclude at least as many cachers as those where the questions are a bit more difficult to answer than just copying some words from a sign. I can fully understand that some cachers prefer to just enjoy the beauty of an EC location and do not want to deal with the geology stuff around, but no one forces them to claim a found it. I do not claim a found it for caches that I can see, but cannot reach.

Cezanne

Oh good grief!

As I said, it's a dad burn GAME! Do most of us pay 30 bucks per year to feel the pain? I dare say, no! All GAMES are subjective, after all while they may have an objective (like, finding the cache), they are games! If it has 'pain', unless you are a masochist, it isn't a fun game! Any comparison, other than they are part of the same game, between traditional cache finds and earthcache finds is like comparing apples and oranges.

I guess there are some who want earthcaching to be an elitist hobby rather than attracting folks who may want to learn a little, but see a lot! OMG, did I bring up that ugly WOW factor? :ph34r:

I guess there are some who want earthcaching to be an elitist hobby rather than attracting folks who may want to learn a little, but see a lot! OMG, did I bring up that ugly WOW factor? :ph34r:

The original post asked for what we would do. I answered that question. I said that I would not delete the log, but ask for a second attempt in order to provide better answers after having received my comments on the first try. I do not feel that there is anything elitist about that. Learning processes often work in multiple stages, and I do not think that the best learning result is reached by simpling giving away the correct answers in the first round.

BTW:

If I want to appeal to people who want to see a lot and only learn a litte, I am placing a container and would not come along with an Earthcache or another type of virtual. Of course that's a personal decision.

What I am really still wondering about is why the tolerance with respect to not completed intellectual challenges is so much higher than with respect to not completed physical ones. I have never heard complaints that high terrain caches are elitist.

For example t4e writes

you don't know how much effort they put into it, maybe that the best they can do...at least they bothered sending answers, even if they are wrong

unless you are asking about apples and they answer about oranges, they did make the best effort they could

I have never encountered similar arguments when someone tried to climb up a tree and failed to reach the goal.

So it appears that for many people climbing up trees fits well to their notion of a game and answering questions does not fit.

Regardless of the cache type involved and whether there exists a geocaching context at all, I do not understand why they make this difference.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

I have been doing a few earthcaches recently and I am really liking them. When I first started I submitted my answers for one and got a wonderful reply from the owner telling me the mistake I made on one of the questions and then telling me the right answer and why. I've had several caches where I've sent in the answers and not heard anything back so I just assume the answers were right or close enough.

I recently did an earthcache where I didn't have a clue how to figure out the answer to the first question. I sent a note to the owner telling them this and gave my answers to the other questions. I asked if they could tell me how to figure out the answer to the first question - don't give me the answer, just tell me how to do it please. I never heard back from the owner about that earthcache.

I like going to these great places to discover and learn something new and interesting but now I am really looking carefully at the questions for these caches because I don't want the discoveries to be overshadowed by the frustration of trying to answer some of those questions, especially when there are a lot of questions. I'll still go to some of these places and enjoy them but I won't try for the earthcache if the questions are just too much and require a degree in geology, math or quantum physics. :lol:

Edited by ras258

I'm really starting to love earthcaches. There's not many near me so I'm going to plan a trip to complete some.

I recently did an earthcache where I'm not sure I got the answer correct. I didn't hear back from the CO. I'd sure like to know the right answer. The problem is had to look at rock formations while on a very high suspension bridge. Well, I'm terrified of heights and it was all I could do to just get out ok it, look at the gorge and take a few pics. I was shaking too much.

I explained this to the CO and so far my log has stood.

I'm really starting to love earthcaches. There's not many near me so I'm going to plan a trip to complete some.

I recently did an earthcache where I'm not sure I got the answer correct. I didn't hear back from the CO. I'd sure like to know the right answer. The problem is had to look at rock formations while on a very high suspension bridge. Well, I'm terrified of heights and it was all I could do to just get out ok it, look at the gorge and take a few pics. I was shaking too much.

I explained this to the CO and so far my log has stood.

That ought to be good enough! I hope the cache owner is like most and doesn't open a drawer full of red pencils! Maybe he/she will not require a second answer and thank you for the visit!

P.S. We don't like extreme heights either. :ph34r:

I understand how hard it is to develop a EarthCache and have it published as I have some listed and more in draft and one in review that my son and I developed. I have found EC's that are so hard to answer that I have not bothered to log them. I just visited for the WOW factor anyway. Also have we have had a log deleted by a CO because he wanted to clearly see a face in the photo, and the answers were wrong as in your case here, but the CO cited the photo issue first. The same CO posted a note on another EC in another State saying that I was breaking the Law because I was armed with a holstered handgun on a roadside in a National Forest. That was not true, I was legally armed. I tryed to explain, then my answers were wrong. But they are the same answers that the CO has accepted from other users. I had to contact Groundspeak both times. And also I have had the same issue as you do here. A photo at the site and a few incorrect answers. Remembering how it feels to be geojerked around by some anal CO, I just sent the finder a thank you note and told them the correct answer. I won't take the time to develop ANY type listing that are not meant for others to enjoy. This is how I enjoy geocaching, by developing listings. I would rather hide than seek, so I would let the log stand. If you send users thank you notes, you may want to explain to them their answers were wrong and tell them them the correct answers.

I agree with this post entirely.

I was geocaching and i was looking for one earth cache near the salt pillar of Godrich ontario CA i looked for it and i cut my self on a tree and there were spiders everywhere and we went on the web and saw what a earth cache is.Not fun but still i like the idea of a earth cache.

(\(\

(= ' .')

(..(")(")

The areas presented in earthcaches should make it our favorite to explore, but the requirements (and possible deletion) make them less than 1% of our finds.

We may attempt an earthcache while traveling, but we're nervous come log time.

If we got an answer way off, it'd be difficult to correct it after we're a few hundred miles away.

Sometimes the questions are so complex, we'd rather the odds on a multiple-choice. :laughing:

Neither of us had any of the geosciences as majors, so we try to answer best we can. May not be spot-on, but usually we're at least close.

Fortunately, most COs realize that and after our email, we may get a brief lesson on the subject added to a "thanks for visiting."