pocket query map preview filter issue

wareami

Something changed. I have a pocket query that filters by container size. I used to be able to click on the map preview and the map would correctly show only the caches in the pocket query. Now, all caches are shown. This changed in both the Beta maps version as well as the old version of maps. I know that with the new beta maps, you can apply some filters, but not the container size. I would use the older version of maps, but that seems to have changed also.

In the new maps when you preview the PQ in a map mode...

1. On the left side, make sure you can see "Layers"
  2. Click on the PQ name
  3. The PQ resulting caches will be with a lightning bolt in a speech bubble
  4. To make it show ONLY the cache in the PQ, uncheck all of the cache types in the section called "Legend"
  5. You'll be left with just the lightning bolt bubbles, pointing to the locations of caches in your PQ

2. Click on the PQ name
  4. To make it show ONLY the cache in the PQ, uncheck all of the cache types in the section called "Legend"
  5. You'll be left with just the lightning bolt bubbles, pointing to the locations of caches in your PQ

totally useless, can't see what type of cache it is, can't get to the cache page and so on...

I didn't say it was perfect. I was demonstrating the best we've got at this point.

I honestly don't wish to sound hyper-critical here, but it is getting tiring to continually read this as a solution to what I consider to be a major problem. In the June release notes thread, the lackeys were talking like the maps were behaving as they should. They don't see this as a problem, and if we continue to write that it is easily overcome by hiding all of the icons, which basically disables all of the interactive cache functions of the map itself, they have no reason to fix it.

I urge everyone to vote or comment on the feedback thread.

Something I've observed, while testing Pocket Queries for that big trip to the Block Party -

When you first preview a PQ it creates a list, which is cached somewhere. If you move the coordinates or change the numbers and try the query again you get the results of the first preview, not with subsequent adjustments.

Solution: Delete the query and start over. The maps always show the first time the query was run, not the most recent.

Something I've observed, while testing Pocket Queries for that big trip to the Block Party -

When you first preview a PQ it creates a list, which is cached somewhere. If you move the coordinates or change the numbers and try the query again you get the results of the first preview, not with subsequent adjustments.

Solution: Delete the query and start over. The maps always show the first time the query was run, not the most recent.

Actually, the solution: test well before you release. Sheesh!

You are a wise Dragon indeed! This solved my issue. Now if they can just fix the bugs!

Thanks for the solution; I've noticed that too! Very annoying!

I can't speak for others, but pretty much the only reason I preview a PQ on the map is to see if it completely covers the area that I intend to visit. It usually doesn't, so I have to adjust it, but then I can't preview the new results. Very frustrating

I can't speak for others, but pretty much the only reason I preview a PQ on the map is to see if it completely covers the area that I intend to visit. It usually doesn't, so I have to adjust it, but then I can't preview the new results. Very frustrating

That's how I came about my solution. You can run seemingly endless previews of Pocket Queries, so create one, see how it goes, and carry changes to a new query.

I was trying to get GC16 and GC17 areas covered with minimal overlap as I planned to generally roam around the area while picking up my targets. Got them tuned pretty well.

It would be nice of Groundspeak to fix the problem, but they usually need to know it exists and some of the characteristics (plus how many Geocachers are annoyed by it, which is why the feedback forum is so useful ;) )

That's how I came about my solution. You can run seemingly endless previews of Pocket Queries, so create one, see how it goes, and carry changes to a new query.

I usually use the PQ maps to plan my routes. It's pretty much useless to me at the moment (and I must admit that I really am beginning to prefer the old maps!)

2. Click on the PQ name

This is not a solution to the problem at all. The problem is that we want to display a map with ONLY the PQ results on the map page. If the old map could do it, the supposedly new and improved map should be able to as well. The inability to do this renders the map almost useless. And, it is frustrating. Give me the option to display only my PQ results or the whole world of caches but don't limit my ability to see just my results. I just tried your suggestion and the bubbles show but they do not carry information about the cache type or give the ability to click to get to information about the cache. Although your idea does just show the icons, it does not resolve the problem.

I don't think they care. I think their interest is hooking new people and not keeping current users happy. It almost works, kinda, sorta. What are we going to do about it? Go to a different listing site? Stop paying for Premium membership? This is how modern businesses treat their customers.

The feedback forum had lots of votes on this issue, but apparently that is insufficient. Sometimes they fixed things that only had a few votes, but the bar was much higher for this issue, and I don't think they every explained why.

I don't think they care. I think their interest is hooking new people and not keeping current users happy. It almost works, kinda, sorta. What are we going to do about it? Go to a different listing site? Stop paying for Premium membership? This is how modern businesses treat their customers.

The feedback forum had lots of votes on this issue, but apparently that is insufficient. Sometimes they fixed things that only had a few votes, but the bar was much higher for this issue, and I don't think they every explained why.

You said it!

What baffles me is why not just let us use the old map that worked great if we want to. Why is groudspeak so obsessed with this new beta map? - I really don't get it. They sure seem to have some agenda that doesn't involve making their existing customers happy - isn't that really why the Feedback forum was shut down, to try to silence the requests to fix things like this.

why not just let us use the old map that worked great if we want to.

Uhh, you can. There's still a link in the upper-right that says "Back to original maps"

You can even get a PQ to show on the old maps with a little URL manipulation.

The issue is using PQs with a map. Sure you can switch to the old map, but what good does that do you when you can't see your PQ there? There is no way to run a PQ using the old map (which is the one that worked with these). I checked too to see if the URL changes at all when you select different PQs in beta as per your comment, but it doesn't. So what is this manipulation that solves this problem?

why not just let us use the old map that worked great if we want to.

Uhh, you can. There's still a link in the upper-right that says "Back to original maps"

You can even get a PQ to show on the old maps with a little URL manipulation.

What do you mean URL manipulation. Can you explain?

I bookmarked in IE my map preview URL and use that extensively- even since the new maps came out. But if I click "Map preview" now in my current PQs, I either get the (IMO) unhelpful bubbles that you can not click OR opt for the "Original map" which does not filter for my PQ.

Thanks in advance!

Is there any way to set the default back to Original Maps with the working PQ results-only display? I'd prefer to keep using that over messing with Beta Maps until they get this fixed. There are just too many caches cluttering the display when I want to plan/focus on my PQ results without the distraction.