Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
the_flying_dutchmen

GPS devices for Kids On Campus?

I've suggested teaching a class about geocaching to our community college's Kids on Campus program next summer. I've talked with the coordinator & her only concern is equipment & their lack of! It's now my job to figure out if there are places that are willing to donate GPS devices for educational purposes.... I've thought about writing letters to local organizations (Rotary, Kiwanis, Chamber of Commerce) as well as maybe cell phone providers such as Verizon & US Cellular. I wasn't sure if there was already an organization out there that took care of this for educational groups or not. If anyone has other suggestions, I'm very open to hearing them!

I'm very excited to teach kids the fun of caching - I'm still relatively new to the sport but I absolutely LOVE it!

Thanks in advance for your help!!

~Lindsay

I've been getting ready to start a geocaching unit with my elementary intramural students. if it goes well, then I'm going to try and incorporate it into my every day P.E. class. I'm interested if you've found out anything as far as getting donations. I plan on hitting up my PTA for a couple of units, but finding donors would be great too! Good luck!

Thanks for adding to this topic! So far, I haven't made much progress with my donation request. I think my first course of action will be to compose a letter to various businesses/organizations to see if anyone would be willing to donate GPS devices. I also need to figure out which GPS would be our best bet for beginners & be sure I'm equipped with one too. Thankfully I own my own business so my business could be the first to donate (and I'd get to have it to play with prior to class!) I'll do my best to come back to this post & let you know how I'm doing -- if you would do the same, we can compare notes. Good luck to you too!!

Tell us how things went! Did you get your units and get a class taught? Brag a bit!

Haven't taught the class yet (It runs July 30 - Aug 10) but so far USCellular has denied letting us borrow smartphones for the class so my quest continues to find GPS devices and/or smartphones that we can DL the caching app to.....

Some of wellknown manufactorers like Garmin and Magellan might be willing to rent/borrow (I doubt later one...) units for organizations. You could get in contact with them. I don't know how they actually do in these cases but it won't hurt trying. After all it's extra profit for them if you advertise their products to kids ;)

Some of wellknown manufactorers like Garmin and Magellan might be willing to rent/borrow (I doubt later one...) units for organizations. You could get in contact with them. I don't know how they actually do in these cases but it won't hurt trying. After all it's extra profit for them if you advertise their products to kids ;)

Thanks for the suggestion! I hadn't even thought of that but I will try to get a hold of them -- you're right, who wouldn't want a little extra help promoting their products?! :) Thanks again!

Thanks for the suggestion! I hadn't even thought of that but I will try to get a hold of them -- you're right, who wouldn't want a little extra help promoting their products?! :) Thanks again!

I emailed both companies and then also noticed a helpful reply in my post from last year -- good news! I found a place that has a GPS loaner program for this exact thing!!! GISetc.com Only $50 for the use of 20 units for 2 weeks. Just have to email them with the dates you'd need the units and they will let you know if the dates are available and once you send the signed agreement and your money, you're good to go! I'm SO relieved and excited!!!!