Which iphone app is best?

Javajeanb

If you are a premium member, geosphere offers great features. A beautiful display of the cache page, full filtering with mapping, the ability to link with Navigon or maps for directions, and is faster to use. I often use it in conjunction with my handheld.

I use the Groundspeak app for caching on the fly, but want the larger overview that pocket queries provide so that I can route a trip and find the kind of caches I want to focus on. Geosphere is my favorite app by far for that.

There are also some handy free apps, like Wherigo and the geocaching toolkit.

Edited by geodarts

I used to use the iPhone exclusively before I got my magellan x710 unit (love it btw) and still carry it with me for a couple reasons. 1. The official geocaching app from Groundspeak is very nice to have and integrates well when you have the website setup to send you automatic new publishings in your area. I have it sent to my hotmail account which in turn sends me SMS messages when a new cache is published. Click on the link and loads right up and you're ready to go to a new cash FAST! 2. I also have GCBuddy for whenever I go to events and they have several temp caches setup as it allows for on the fly data input (I think the official one "does" allow marked flags/waypoints but is a pain...GCBuddy is MUCH better for this type of event usage). Also, GCTools is INVALUABLE to you while out on the hunt as it has conversion tables, decoding, data tables, coordinate manipulation calculations, & all sorts of things that are WAY invaluable out in the bush (as long as you tell it to download all the data before you leave the house and ONLY do that 1 time and you're good to go)....check that one out and you'll thank me for it I guarantee it! And finally, I really like having GPS to SMS....as long as you have a cell signal (at least one bar) you can send your location (GPS coords) to anyone who can get text messages. VERY nice thing to have when you're out alone for safety....right before you climb up that dead looking tree or a vertical wall by yourself; so people know where to come pick your lifeless body up when you're not back to work on monday LOL....really tho...good safety thing to have in the bush.

The official app is currently my favorite. It has many features and works very well. Another good choice is Geosphere which is equally as awesome. It has some slight advantages in use over the official app. If you are looking for an alternative check it out.

Also I will mention my current favorite free app is Geo Bucket. You need to be a premium member of Geocaching.com to use it. It is very basic but shows you all cache information as well as navigates you to the cache. If you are looking for something more simplistic than the official app, or something free check it out.

I have used the Groundspeak app and Geosphere, I prefer Geosphere as you can load all the PQs into one group and then create other groups within it, and the filtering works better. The latest version of the Groundspeak app is still buggy and doesn't do some basic things, like show caches you have found as found in downloaded PQ's, so really only use it for online stuff and live logging at the moment. We generally use Geosphere at the moment.

For some situations the IPhone App NextCache https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/next-cache/id671010582?mt=8 is very usefull. You can fill the app with a pocket query and it runs in the background. When you pass nearby a cache in a variable range the app notifies you. I use this app when i visit a city i don't know. While exploring the city it is very cool to be notified without searching for caches all the time.