My First Ammo Box Cache

78524880784439308276.jpg

This will be my first Ammo Can hide.

I went to the Dollar Store and Spent $15 on some random goodies and am using an Ammo Can from 7.62mm cartridges. It's not a really big box, but there's a decent pile of stuff inside

Tell me if you think this would be a nice cache to find or if I need more stuff

Contents Include: (most of this stuff is freshly purchased, not stuff from a junk drawer)

1 - Log Book

5 - Pens (for above log book)

1 - Green Yo-Yo

1 - Silly Putty Egg

1 - Tape Measure Key Chain

1 - Pack Playing Cards

1 - Pack Bicycle Dice (5)

6 - Clear Bouncy Balls with Stars

1 - Pack of 3 Mini Mechanical Pencils

2 - Magnetic Clips (one red, one blue)

11 - Pencil Top Erasers

1 - Dr. Wacky's Silly Sludge

2 - Green Retractable Keychains

1 - Mini Carabiner

1 - Rectangle Keyring

1 - Bag of 50 Marbles & 1 Shooter

1 - Black Onyx Stone

1 - Brown Glass-like Stone

1 - Orange Elephant Toy (from fast food meal)

1 - Die-Cast Pewter Elephant Figure

1 - Civil War Bullet Slug Replica

Great hide, don't see enough of these caches at least around my way.. I've only ever found one in all my finds..

Good luck with it... long live the ammo can.. :)

78524880784439308276.jpg

This will be my first Ammo Can hide.

I went to the Dollar Store and Spent $15 on some random goodies and am using an Ammo Can from 7.62mm cartridges. It's not a really big box, but there's a decent pile of stuff inside

Tell me if you think this would be a nice cache to find or if I need more stuff

Contents Include: (most of this stuff is freshly purchased, not stuff from a junk drawer)

1 - Log Book

5 - Pens (for above log book)

1 - Green Yo-Yo

1 - Silly Putty Egg

1 - Tape Measure Key Chain

1 - Pack Playing Cards

1 - Pack Bicycle Dice (5)

6 - Clear Bouncy Balls with Stars

1 - Pack of 3 Mini Mechanical Pencils

2 - Magnetic Clips (one red, one blue)

11 - Pencil Top Erasers

1 - Dr. Wacky's Silly Sludge

2 - Green Retractable Keychains

1 - Mini Carabiner

1 - Rectangle Keyring

1 - Bag of 50 Marbles & 1 Shooter

1 - Black Onyx Stone

1 - Brown Glass-like Stone

1 - Orange Elephant Toy (from fast food meal)

1 - Die-Cast Pewter Elephant Figure

1 - Civil War Bullet Slug Replica

Edited by jgc3

Thanks, yes I enjoyed the one we found.. it was a pleasant change to have room for a decent swap.. and everything was dry!! :) I have seen some swimming pools hidden inside a cache containers.. ha

That's a shame jgc3... I found a HUGE one today, nearly 3 times the size of mine

I hope you find more than just that one in your travels!

Good Luck

Thanks, yes I enjoyed the one we found.. it was a pleasant change to have room for a decent swap.. and everything was dry!! :) I have seen some swimming pools hidden inside a cache containers.. ha

That's a shame jgc3... I found a HUGE one today, nearly 3 times the size of mine

I hope you find more than just that one in your travels!

Good Luck

You must have been caching in Ohio because most of the caches there are micros. We were there for a week and found mostly micros and just a few larger caches. Come to PA and you'll find some real caches.

Good kids swag. I add a couple of USB to Mini cables, mini-led flashlights, and a multi tip screwdriver to my hides, for the adults. Face it... those little LED flashlights are handy to have in the car and backpack, and who can't use a screwdriver in the car?

Only change to your stuff that I would make is to get rid of the pens and put in pencils. In the winter an ink pen will freeze and not work. ALSO... one last tip (or something to think about)... on my cache listing I always put BYOP (Bring Your Own Pencil/Pen) just in case the pencil in the cache is broken or missing. When I'm hunting I always assume that the caches I find won't have writing instruments in them so I carry several colored sharpies.

That is a great one and I would love to find that over the many micros I find. I do like micros if they are creative and fit the place they are hidden but sometimes they could be more creative. As far as the pens/pencils. I don't see why anyone would go geocaching with out one but that is just my opinion. I think it should be a part of your gear.

-WarNinjas

Looks good, and hide your cache whenever you know enough about the guidelines to do a good one. More finds allow you to see how more caches are hidden, but don't necessarily make your hiding any better.

One comment. Your swag looks great. and I have hidden about a dozen ammo boxes with similar items. Just be prepared for it to be nearly empty, or have trash in it after a few months. Seems that not many people get the concept of trading up, or even.

BC

EDIT: Maybe you just don't show it, because you don't have your logbook in the pic either, but it is a good idea to print out a cache info sheet so non-cachers will know what it is. I've adapted one that I downloaded so I can tape it under the lid of the ammo box with packing tape so it's right there when someone opens it, and it doesn't get tattered with handling.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

Looks good! Ammo camo are my favorite to find and hide. You swag looks good too. Don't be disappointed when it degrades after 15 or so finds. It happens to all of us. Just clear out the trash and either replace or just keep clean inside.

I much prefer an easy ammo can in a nice area over a clever micro in a crummy or boring area.

Well done. Also, I always include a sheet with the cache name, coordinates, my contact info and the permit...in case of any issues.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

Awesome container? Check!

Nice swag? Check!

Gonna paint over the military markings? Check!

Gonna add an info sheet? Check!

Dude! I'd say this is gonna be a great cache!

I actually prefer the 30 calibre ammo can above all others.

Something to consider regarding placement;

The more challenging a cache is to get to, the longer the swag will survive. At least that's been my experience. I think there's some bizarre correlation between folks too lazy to walk more than a quarter mile for a cache, and folks who can't grasp the "Trade up, trade even or don't trade" concept. I own several caches that pretty much require an all day quest to obtain. The swag in these has actually improved over time. Folks I've talked to about this phenomenon, who still occasionally trade swag, expressed a tendency to make sure they brought something really nice to leave in the can as a memento of their passing.

Come to PA and you'll find some real caches.

I'm in Pittsburgh, so this will be added to the list of "real PA caches" then :)

Only change to your stuff that I would make is to get rid of the pens and put in pencils.

Thanks, will add some

That is a great one and I would love to find that over the many micros I find.

Thanks!

Apparently You only have 5 caches found. I would recommend that you find at least 15-20 caches before you hide a cache.

I'm not hiding this one just yet, I made it in preparation for when I get some more finds under my belt

Everything looks great, that will be an awesome cache! Make sure you hide it well, since you put so much work in to it. :D

Thanks!

EDIT: Maybe you just don't show it, because you don't have your logbook in the pic either, but it is a good idea to print out a cache info sheet so non-cachers will know what it is. I've adapted one that I downloaded so I can tape it under the lid of the ammo box with packing tape so it's right there when someone opens it, and it doesn't get tattered with handling.

Log book is in the bag on the left, under the marbles. Since the pic was taken I have written my username and contact info on it. I also wrote the original contents on page one of the book

I will also be printing out and putting the cahce note inside, Thanks!

Well done. Also, I always include a sheet with the cache name, coordinates, my contact info and the permit...in case of any issues.

Thanks! (see above comment about contact infos etc)

Dude! I'd say this is gonna be a great cache!

I actually prefer the 30 calibre ammo can above all others.

Something to consider regarding placement;

The more challenging a cache is to get to, the longer the swag will survive. At least that's been my experience. I think there's some bizarre correlation between folks too lazy to walk more than a quarter mile for a cache, and folks who can't grasp the "Trade up, trade even or don't trade" concept. I own several caches that pretty much require an all day quest to obtain. The swag in these has actually improved over time. Folks I've talked to about this phenomenon, who still occasionally trade swag, expressed a tendency to make sure they brought something really nice to leave in the can as a memento of their passing.

Thanks, will keep that in mind about the more challenging quest.

Also, got this can for free, I would like a bigger one also, but for my first, this will do!

Edited by z0mbieCache

Clan Riffster is right on (as usual). As a general rule, the cache is less likely to be muggled the less it is from civilization. Not many are going to hide an ammo can behind Giant Eagle.

For hiking in the woods type geocaches, my preference is for the CO to list waypoints for (1) recommended parking, and (2) trailheads. Since I live an hour west of Pittsburgh, I hope to find this someday.

Oh yeah ...

this is just my thoughts, so take it for what it is worth.

When you do submit this for publication, please don't list everything that is in it when hidden.

I see that a lot, and it is never the same when we find the cache, and really doesn't do anything for the cache listing except take up space and clutter the page.

BC

Oh yeah .. I see the log book now .. sorry.

And a nice big book it is too! Great!

Edited by BC & MsKitty

Oh yeah ...

this is just my thoughts, so take it for what it is worth.

When you do submit this for publication, please don't list everything that is in it when hidden.

I see that a lot, and it is never the same when we find the cache, and really doesn't do anything for the cache listing except take up space and clutter the page.

BC

Oh yeah .. I see the log book now .. sorry.

And a nice big book it is too! Great!

Appreciate the input

I wasn't planning on listing the contents on the actual page, just did it for this forum post for identification of items

Also, I took the ammo can to the store so i could find the biggest book that could fit inside :D

I hate trying to write on some of the teeny "memoo pads" i've found in some caches as i have big clumsy man hands

Thanks!

Edited by z0mbieCache

Use flat colors for paint. Brown Primer, black, Hunter Green, Olive Green and a Tan.

I shoot the whole ammo can Hunter Green and then start shooting splotches and streaks of primer, black, tan and olive until I'm satisfied with how it looks.

But I'm sure you already knew this. :)

This looks great! Nice to see someone taking such care with their first cache.

I placed my first ammo can 6 years ago and it's still going strong. i guess people didn't like my swag, though. A recent picture showed some of the original stuff is still in there!

That's gotta be some kind of record! Unless it never gets found :lol:

... Also, I took the ammo can to the store so i could find the biggest book that could fit inside ...

I recommend a spiral bound book. I use them exclusively now. I learned my lesson when the pages started separating out of a cheap logbook in one of my early ammo can hides ( yes, there are better quality logbooks available that are not spiral bound).

I'm in Southeast PA and probably won't find your new cache, but it's always good to see quality caches placed anywhere in Pennsylvania. Hide it in a good location. And something to think about: the harder I make cachers work to find one of my caches, the better the logs they write. Just expect fewer finders.

First I noticed that you bought practically the same stuff as they ammo can I just hid 2 days ago. Then I noticed you lived in PA. Then I noticed you live 300 miles away from me.

I almost crapped myself, I thought you went to the same dollar store.

Yeah, i've noticed a lot of PA folks o the forums...

I recommend a spiral bound book. I use them exclusively now. I learned my lesson when the pages started separating out of a cheap logbook in one of my early ammo can hides ( yes, there are better quality logbooks available that are not spiral bound).

I'm in Southeast PA and probably won't find your new cache, but it's always good to see quality caches placed anywhere in Pennsylvania. Hide it in a good location. And something to think about: the harder I make cachers work to find one of my caches, the better the logs they write. Just expect fewer finders.

I am using a nice small spiralbound... it's about a half sheet of standard Letter paper

I noticed the few caches i found had those "perfect bound" books and the pages get all unhinged like you said

Looks like a great cache container and good swag. :D As to where to hide it, take your time and find a location you like to visit, that way when you go to check on it, you too will enjoy the trip.

My first hide is over 9 years old in a remote area that I enjoy visiting and is an ammo can.

BTW, swag does not make a cache. Which is why Micro's are usually the best caches out there.

Crappy caches get crappy logs. How many great logs do you see for an average micro?

I said that swag doesn't make a good cache. By that I mean, location, or the ingenuity of the cache container is usually of higher priority. There is no point of stocking an ammo box with goodies, if it's through a half mile long bushwhack. Honestly, if people wanted toys at the dollar store, they'd go to the dollar store.

Nothing is better for me, then a really challenging micro after a long hike up the mountains. Or a Hide-a-Key at a really awesome location i'd never visit otherwise.

You must have been caching in Ohio because most of the caches there are micros. We were there for a week and found mostly micros and just a few larger caches. Come to PA and you'll find some real caches.

Big Al,

You may want to up your terrain level the next time you visit. Not gonna find many ammo cans on those T1s anywhere. :)

BTW, swag does not make a cache. Which is why Micro's are usually the best caches out there.

Great locations make great caches. That's why micros are usually the crappiest caches out there.

My sentiments exactly. However, we are going by sheer numbers of good micros, rather then percentage of good micros to bad micros. I agree, larger caches tend to be on the better side of caches, this is because it is nearly impossible to hide a bad ammo box (They just don't fit in lamp posts or guardrails). That being said, ignoring all the bad micro's, at least in my area, there is STILL a much higher number of good micros.

Look at this. look at anyone of those users (all within my area of caching) and they all are they best micro hider's in my area. They get super-creative, and they just don't hide micros in parking lots, they hide them in woods.

In terms of percentage of good micros to bad micros, and good regulars to bad regulars. It wins, on everything else, it loses.

...ignoring all the bad micro's, at least in my area, there is STILL a much higher number of good micros.

I'm not sure if your observation is a result of personal bias or actual quality.

You provided a list of 12 caches, which you say are well done micros. Reading the cache pages, I'd probably agree with your findings. They certainly sound interesting. But what percentage of the whole do they represent? If micros are so phenomenally excellent in your neck of the woods, one would think you could come up with more than 12 examples to display as proof. I know I could easily provide you with a similar list, scrounging up a dozen or so well done micros local to me. That dozen would likely represent less than 10% of the total micro hides around here. Probably considerably less.

Based on your past posting history, I'd lean toward personal bias. The end result of the difference between your definition of a "good" micro, and my definition. We know that you are a lot more tolerant when it comes to judging micros than I am. Could that commendable tolerance be coloring your judgement? Heck, flip the coin. Could my lack of tolerance be coloring my judgement? The answer to both is "Absolutely".

Locally, a micro is statistically going to be a crappy container, at an uninspired location.

Inserting an entirely imaginary statistic, ('cuz I'm too lazy to do the math), I'd say these account for about 95% of the whole.

Looks good just make sure you remove the military markings off the box and label it as a geocache (will help keep the muffles from calling the bomb squad)

As a few geocachers here in Connecticut will tell you, the Bomb Squad will come running anyways. we're still a "Unknown Item" in their books. [a] it's out of the ordinary :yikes: , It has something to do with the military, so it's dangerous :surprise: , [c] We need to justify the purchase of the million-dollar bomb disposal robot other than leave it gathering cob-webs in storage. :ph34r:

Though, A lot of people just put the box as-is, clear out in the middle of the woods, and as long as it's well off the beaten paths (20-30 feet), will leave it alone.

Stephen (gelfling6)

Edited by gelfling6
As a few geocachers here in Connecticut will tell you, the Bomb Squad will come running anyways.

The objective in removing the military markings is to avoid having the bomb squad called in the first place.

Not to get them to react in a particular way once they are called.

EOD is actually pretty far down in the sequence of events when a cache gets blown up.

The first step is for Joe Citizen to find a cache. How Joe reacts will be determined by many factors, some of which we can influence. By removing the military markings, and clearly labeling it as a geocache, (as specifically recommended in the Guidelines), we can somewhat reduce the chance that Joe is going to panic when he finds your cache. By placing the cache in an appropriate location, we can also, somewhat reduce the risk that Joe is going to panic. An olive drab box, covered in obscure, military looking markings, hidden under the steps of a courthouse will likely lead to Joe freaking out. The same box, painted with a camo motif, several miles deep in the woods will likely have an opposite reaction. Cache container selection is also important, but this topic is limited just to ammo cans.

The second step, (assuming Joe freaks out and dials 911), is for the initial responder, usually a street level officer, to check out the situation. Having a cache which is clearly labeled as such, with no trace of military markings, could significantly impact how the initial responder reacts. Personally, I respond to gobs of "suspicious" objects every month. This number hasn't changed that much since I began my career in law enforcement in 1982. Of these thousands of "suspicious" objects I've responded to, only one resulted in an EOD call out.

The third step, for most agencies, is for the initial responder to notify his supervisor regarding his findings. The supervisor will typically respond to make their own determination. Again, removing all military markings and labeling the container as a geocache can have a significant impact on how the supervisor reacts.

The fourth step is for the supervisor to request an EOD response.

Guys join EOD because they like to blow stuff up.

Once EOD gets there, the cache will probably go "Boom".

All of that could be avoided by simply removing the military markings.

As a few geocachers here in Connecticut will tell you, the Bomb Squad will come running anyways.

The objective in removing the military markings is to avoid having the bomb squad called in the first place.

Not to get them to react in a particular way once they are called.

EOD is actually pretty far down in the sequence of events when a cache gets blown up.

The first step is for Joe Citizen to find a cache. How Joe reacts will be determined by many factors, some of which we can influence. By removing the military markings, and clearly labeling it as a geocache, (as specifically recommended in the Guidelines), we can somewhat reduce the chance that Joe is going to panic when he finds your cache. By placing the cache in an appropriate location, we can also, somewhat reduce the risk that Joe is going to panic. An olive drab box, covered in obscure, military looking markings, hidden under the steps of a courthouse will likely lead to Joe freaking out. The same box, painted with a camo motif, several miles deep in the woods will likely have an opposite reaction. Cache container selection is also important, but this topic is limited just to ammo cans.

The second step, (assuming Joe freaks out and dials 911), is for the initial responder, usually a street level officer, to check out the situation. Having a cache which is clearly labeled as such, with no trace of military markings, could significantly impact how the initial responder reacts. Personally, I respond to gobs of "suspicious" objects every month. This number hasn't changed that much since I began my career in law enforcement in 1982. Of these thousands of "suspicious" objects I've responded to, only one resulted in an EOD call out.

The third step, for most agencies, is for the initial responder to notify his supervisor regarding his findings. The supervisor will typically respond to make their own determination. Again, removing all military markings and labeling the container as a geocache can have a significant impact on how the supervisor reacts.

The fourth step is for the supervisor to request an EOD response.

Guys join EOD because they like to blow stuff up.

Once EOD gets there, the cache will probably go "Boom".

All of that could be avoided by simply removing the military markings.

"Could" mind you, not "will". Even with all the prudent precautions taken it is possible that someone will fail to recognize a cache for what it is and things to go down the path to detonation. I have a problem not with an EOD response but rather the often ensuing threat of charges. Why is it so often that "TPTB" feel that they have to make someone pay for their erroneous assumptions? "We thought that your game piece with the stickers on it was a bomb. We were wrong but you have to pay for our mistake. You are charged with this list of ludicrous crimes and here is your bill for the response. Oh, you'll note we charged enough to cover a new van for EOD as the one they used got dirty."

"Could" mind you, not "will". Even with all the prudent precautions taken it is possible that someone will fail to recognize a cache for what it is and things to go down the path to detonation. I have a problem not with an EOD response but rather the often ensuing threat of charges. Why is it so often that "TPTB" feel that they have to make someone pay for their erroneous assumptions? "We thought that your game piece with the stickers on it was a bomb. We were wrong but you have to pay for our mistake. You are charged with this list of ludicrous crimes and here is your bill for the response. Oh, you'll note we charged enough to cover a new van for EOD as the one they used got dirty."

Maybe we should label caches 'BOMB SQUAD TRAINING ITEM'?

I'll never forget the story of a bomb squad that 'blew up' a traffic counter chained to a light pole.

"Could" mind you, not "will".

True. As reasonably prudent people, all we can do is play the odds. The only step we could take which would guarantee no EOD response is to not hide any caches. By hiding responsibly, (I.e; removing military markings, clearly labeling our caches, selecting proper containers for our locations, etc), we can greatly reduce the odds of an unpleasant encounter with EOD. Failing to do any of the above should result in a Reviewer beating the offending cacher with a rotting lemming corpse.

Why is it so often that "TPTB" feel that they have to make someone pay for their erroneous assumptions?

Brother, you're preaching to the choir. I was raised to believe that, if I did something really dumb, (like lock down a neighborhood for hours so someone can blow up a film can), it's on me. I guess that principle doesn't apply to bureaucrats. The talking heads get stuck in front of a camera, and the blame game starts. I would love, just once, to see a police chief say something to the effect of, "We felt it was best to treat the object as a possible threat, and we apologize for any inconvenience our decision may have caused. The object turned out to be harmless, for which we are all thankful." I won't hold my breath.

...ignoring all the bad micro's, at least in my Locally, a micro is statistically going to be a crappy container, at an uninspired location.

Inserting an entirely imaginary statistic, ('cuz I'm too lazy to do the math), I'd say these account for about 95% of the whole.

Getting into this argument was never my intention. My intention was to let him know he should pick a good location for the cache, of which, at least in my area, micro's are the most common. Using micro as an example as meant to prove swag is not as important as a good location, which is why micro's are great even with lack of swag, because of the location.

"Could" mind you, not "will".

True. As reasonably prudent people, all we can do is play the odds. The only step we could take which would guarantee no EOD response is to not hide any caches. By hiding responsibly, (I.e; removing military markings, clearly labeling our caches, selecting proper containers for our locations, etc), we can greatly reduce the odds of an unpleasant encounter with EOD. Failing to do any of the above should result in a Reviewer beating the offending cacher with a rotting lemming corpse.

Why is it so often that "TPTB" feel that they have to make someone pay for their erroneous assumptions?

Brother, you're preaching to the choir. I was raised to believe that, if I did something really dumb, (like lock down a neighborhood for hours so someone can blow up a film can), it's on me. I guess that principle doesn't apply to bureaucrats. The talking heads get stuck in front of a camera, and the blame game starts. I would love, just once, to see a police chief say something to the effect of, "We felt it was best to treat the object as a possible threat, and we apologize for any inconvenience our decision may have caused. The object turned out to be harmless, for which we are all thankful." I won't hold my breath.

:laughing: Really! They could even add "When it comes to public safety we don't take any chances. We make damned sure you are safe!" Let 'em be the macho heroes. Just don't do it at someone else's expense.

...ignoring all the bad micro's, at least in my Locally, a micro is statistically going to be a crappy container, at an uninspired location.

Getting into this argument was never my intention. My intention was to let him know he should pick a good location for the cache, of which, at least in my area, micro's are the most common. Using micro as an example as meant to prove swag is not as important as a good location, which is why micro's are great even with lack of swag, because of the location.

I'll probably be sorry I got into this one but...Yes, location is the best part of a good cache. But in all the areas I've cached micros tend to be primarily in crappy locations. Often when they aren't they are not appropriate for the area they are in. A deviously hidden micro in a delicate ecosystem tends to promote undo wear and tear. Yes, there are appropriately hidden micros in great locations. But in my experience they are the minority portion of all micro hides.

Edit to fix the typo. A "s" instead of an "d" can make a big difference.

Edited by GOF and Bacall

I have to admire that you went out and bought an ammo can and lots of good swag for your first hide! I wished we lived in your area as we'd definitely find it.

Next week marks 6 years since we first started caching (we made the finds on August 21, we just didn't sign up on GC.com until Sept. 2). Back then, the majority of hides, especially in the Northeast, we ammo cans. Now when I find an ammo can hide (which is probably 1 out of 10 hides if that), especially if it was hidden in this decade, I joke how they are the "payphones" of geocaching, as they seem so rare and passe now.

But I have to admit we're guilty of hiding tupperware and micros in recent years. Finances are not what they used to be, and it gets hard to replace stolen ammo cans and keep filling them with goodies. But I hope yours goes well, good luck!

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

Looks good just make sure you remove the military markings off the box and label it as a geocache (will help keep the muffles from calling the bomb squad)

The military markings are stenciled on with some pretty weak paint/ink. It will come right off is you wipe it with nail polish remover.

Man, I had never looked at this thread, and wondered how the heck it got up to 46 posts. Yes, it is pretty weak paint. They sand off with a piece of dollar store sandpaper in about two seconds. I didn't discover this until about my 8th year of Geocaching though, when the Seaway Trail Geotrail people sent me ammo boxes with the markings still intact. It had their logo on it, and re-painting was out of the question. Just for laughs, I tried sanding them off, and was amazed by how incredibly easy it was. Man, that's a very long paragraph to talk about how easy it is to remove the markings, sorry. :ph34r:

Maybe we should label caches 'BOMB SQUAD TRAINING ITEM'?

I'll never forget the story of a bomb squad that 'blew up' a traffic counter chained to a light pole.

I always enjoy reading CR's chronology of how a "suspicious package" ends up going "boom". The other day, a security guard in Beverly Hills convinced the PD to call the Sheriff's bomb squad to blow up a briefcase that ended up containing a laptop and a screenplay that some upcoming writer had inadvertently lost on the sidewalk. I'm convinced that if this had occurred at an other place in LA County, the security guard would have confiscated the briefcase and examined it on his kitchen table, later that evening.

The traffic monitor is a good one. Stopping all rush hour commuter trains between LA and San Bernardino to blow up what ended up being a plastic bag of rancid meat scores pretty high in the bomb squad follies.

I'll probably be sorry I got into this one but...Yes, location is the best part of a good cache. But in all the areas I've cached micros tend to be primarily in crappy locations. Often when they aren't they are not appropriate for the area they are in. A deviously hidden micro in a delicate ecosystem tends to promote undo wear and tear. Yes, there are appropriately hidden micros in great locations. But in my experience they are the minority portion of all micro hides.

Edit to fix the typo. A "s" instead of an "d" can make a big difference.

Driving down the fast highway just edging onto the next little town, an LPC micro named "DUDE, where's my car" popped up. Good cache write up. It's a corner lot of asphalt across from the auto parts store. Guy tried to set up a used car lot. He put up all the signs, paved the lot, set the service bays, and then ran out of money. Further through town are a bunch of highway side caches. Who cares? I just stopped and found out a bit about the town, the economy, and my third "Dude, where's my car", cache.

"EXCELLENT" (Thumbs Up!)