Garmin Montana Screen Calibration Way Off

He's meaning the Montana 650

Probably some people found their Montana's back because more people is complaining again about the screen issue.

Or are they reselling the old 1 gen models?? Like they did with the Colorado's?

This was originally sold in late July, 2011 from gpscity. I bought it last week from the original owner who rarely used it. It only had less than 700 miles on the odometer when I thought about checking that. It had 3.60 firmware on it when I got it. As far as I know it never had a problem. Of course it could have been exchanged and he never told me. It's now registered to me with the corresponding city navigator unlock code but I don't have the software for CN. :(

I just purchased a Montana 650t & I have the screen calibration problem. My serial number begins with 28V. I haven't heard from Garmin yet.

Maybe there are more things we can compare. Start the diagnostic mode by going to the Satellite View and press upper left for 5 seconds (screen will turn bright). You'll see a bunch of info. Things which we might compare are:

1st page

Display Type: T

2nd page

Version Information: Montana 650 V5

PCB Version: 4

This is my info, and my screen works fine.

So it IS a first generation Montana, contact Gpscity or Garmin how to exchange the Montana,, there's no solution for the screen problem.

Firm- software updates don't do the trick. ;-(

Are you replying to me or stlee?

I don't seem to have the same screen calibration issue that most are talking about in this thread. It calibrates fine. I just can't use those characters when naming my quick filters. It is in both the portrait AND the landscape view so it isn't a specific spot on the screen.

I get all of the characters when I am writing field notes. I haven't tried it in other places as I am still reading the manual.

Would gpscity actually return something that was sold last July? I know that REI does but have never dealt directly with gpscity. I do have the original receipt.

Edited by LadyBee4T

I haven't so far had an issue with screen calibration. However, yesterday I had something happen that worried me. I was naming my geocaching quick filters when several keys on the keyboard would not work. / * : < > ? " Only those characters in either portrait or landscape mode and so far only when naming quick filters. Does anybody else see this?

Could it be because filters are stored as files, and those characters cannot be used for filenames?

I haven't so far had an issue with screen calibration. However, yesterday I had something happen that worried me. I was naming my geocaching quick filters when several keys on the keyboard would not work. / * : < > ? " Only those characters in either portrait or landscape mode and so far only when naming quick filters. Does anybody else see this?

Could it be because filters are stored as files, and those characters cannot be used for filenames?

I wonder? I can use ! # $ ( ) _ + & ' : , .+ @ % but not the characters listed above. I'll have to do some more testing....

Edit to add that it does the same thing when I try to add a new filter and rename it.

Edited by LadyBee4T

My first unit that had problem after about 3 weeks was # 28U001XXX, my replacement is 28U011XXX, ten thousand units later... we will see how that goes, but I wouldn't claim that all 28U units do not have this problem as my first one did.

Well here I am again, 3 years later. My replacement Montana has finally started to act up on the touchscreen. Problem is a bit different this time in that the screen doesn't work at all some times. Interesting to go through the support page for Canada that is not helpful at all and tells me to contact raytec for an out of warranty repair at my expense.

Going through the usa repair site, it shows my unit is out of warranty but qualifies for a free repair including shipping. Wow, way to screw Canadians. Looks like I will have to drop ship it through a friend in Usa. We'll see how this works out.

I've had mine since the middle of 2012, and have had no problems, I also haven't updated the firmware since I bought it.but Not sure which firmware I have, it's 5.70

I don't think it's a heat problem as I have the garmin mount and it's seen a lot of hot days here

Edited by vagabond

Ok this is a very old Thread but one of the most helpful of all treads I read until now. Maybe someone is reading it now just like me and is happy to read a solution for this problem. I would like to tell you how can it be solved. It is a clear hardware issue. The digitizer is defektive. But it is quite simple to change it. Buy an original garmin spare part. I payed 32$ for it in Ebay, Unscrew the 6 screws, disconnect the ribbon cable from the board and the backlit connector. Unscrew the 4 screws and clip out the black support. Pull the display with the digitizer. Desolder the small ribbon cable with the 4 contacts to separate the digitizer cable from the display cable. HEat the assembly on heat bed at 80 C for 5 minutes. Or carefully use a hair dryer Detach the old digitizer with a plectrum. Clean the display. The new spare part has already an adhesive installed. Put the digitizer and display together. Solder the ribbon cable. Take care because this is the most tricky part of the story. Put everything together. Most important. The new digitizer wont work now ! You have to turn on you Montana and hold the on switch for a minute to get the calibration screen without going into menus. Calibrate you new digitizer and you re done.