Garmin Montana Screen Calibration Way Off

I got my Montana 650t in Juni . After short time the screen did not work. They cannot repair it and send a new one back. Now the same thing. They told me to take it back to the shop and they 'll give money back. It is software problem.

I would imagine that as it degrades with time and as a different screen is being fitted to items being returned, it is actually a hardware issue that is not fixable by software. It is often possible to work around hardware issues with software, but not in this case. At least this is how I have understood the issue from Garmin and reading the posts and my own experience with these type of things.

I am sure in time it will all become clear.

This thread makes me glad that I just ordered a GPSMap 62ST. I don't trust the touchscreen GPSes yet. The technology is still too new.

I don't recall any Dakota or Oregon unit users ever complaining about this sort of thing - so why do you not trust those? Do you own an automotive GPS? Same technology involved there. The technology has been around for quite some time.

Dont bother trying to re-calibrate, I spend about an hour trying various things, eventually gave up and the unit has now gone back to Garmin, patiently awaiting the outcome...

Funny think is that it only started going wrong after 4 weeks, before that all worked fine

Edited by emilevwyk

My screen just started to go wacky right after I upgraded to 3.40. Want to try to downgrade to 3.20 which I was at before with no problems. I know there is controversy over whether its a hardware or software problem, but some people have had luck with a downgrade and then a new upgrade. Problem is, I can't find where to get the old versions. All the links on this forum and others just go to a garmin page selling two SD cards. Anyone know an address to find the older versions of the software? If it works or not I thought it was worth a try before I call Garmin to send the unit in. What a bummer, was working super, super great!!

My screen just started to go wacky right after I upgraded to 3.40. Want to try to downgrade to 3.20 which I was at before with no problems. I know there is controversy over whether its a hardware or software problem, but some people have had luck with a downgrade and then a new upgrade. Problem is, I can't find where to get the old versions. All the links on this forum and others just go to a garmin page selling two SD cards. Anyone know an address to find the older versions of the software? If it works or not I thought it was worth a try before I call Garmin to send the unit in. What a bummer, was working super, super great!!

Take a look here: http://garminmontana.wikispaces.com/Software+Versions

You'll have to change the 330 to 340

Take a look here: http://garminmontana.wikispaces.com/Software+Versions

You'll have to change the 330 to 340

Tried that link but the 3.20 link isn't working right. Maybe I'll try the 3.10 one instead since that link seems to be working fine. Thanks.

@Nabrag

See your Email

If you have severe calibration issues, you might not be able to push the YES while downgrading.

Got it to download and then upgraded again with no change in calibration issues. Even went all the way down to 2.60 where I orignally started from. It was worth a try. I just hope I can get a replacement unit fairly quickly. I'll have to call them on Monday. Thanks for the help.

@Nabrag

See your Email

If you have severe calibration issues, you might not be able to push the YES while downgrading.

Got it to download and then upgraded again with no change in calibration issues. Even went all the way down to 2.60 where I orignally started from. It was worth a try. I just hope I can get a replacement unit fairly quickly. I'll have to call them on Monday. Thanks for the help.

Has anyone got a Montana 600 that works properly with touch screen Icons?

@Nabrag

See your Email

Has anyone got a Montana 600 that works properly with touch screen Icons?

My replacement is still working.... I think!

I've had my 650t (S/N 28V0001xx) in my hands since June 23 (got it pre-order). Unlike the post below, I have had no screen problems despite the much lower number, and no significant software problems for the last few releases. As my first GPS, it has introduced me to the fun of geocaching, guided me faithfully on a 2,100 mile trip over 2 weeks, and is still going strong without problems.

Personally, I conclude that there is no pattern to the serial numbers. It is most likely a rare event that comes with mass production, and a few rare people get stuck with defective units that need replacement. I truly feel sorry for all the people who end up with a defective unit, but hopefully it does not deter others.

I got my original 650t a week ago today. 2 days later, it had deteriorated to nearly unusable. I called the retailer on Tuesday. Today, I got a call that they had gotten a new one in. I went there and exchanged it, and so far the new one is working perfectly. Original and new one are both in the 28V00xxxx range, but the new one is a higher number. Interestingly, the screen on the new one looks different (much nicer) in direct sunlight; the original had some visible artifacts which appeared to be part of the resistive touch layer. This would line up with a bad batch of LCDs. I'm quite impressed with how the store (Bass Pro Shops) handled the exchange, no problem at all, and how quickly they got a new one in.

Hopefully the new one will just keep working!

Just have to post that Garmin replaced my Montana and I had a really good experience with it. Long story short...they replaced my GPSr and helped me transfer all my purchased maps to the new unit. It did take a while and a few seperate calls, but it all ended up good. Hopefully this units screen will last and not lose its calibration abilities. The serial number is earlier then the one I sent back. Overall it was pretty easy and the Garmin staff was very helpful and polite. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Wish me luck.

Mine cal just went south tonight after upgrading to version 3.5. I do wonder if it's a calibration firmware issue since the corner that's no longer accessible isn't sampled during calibration (2-oclock position). With a finger or stylus, you can drag a map around and it follows into to that corner end, so the pressure or capacitance is being sensed there. Like others, I've been unsuccessful resetting / downgrading / upgrading firmware to fix it.

I uncovered a 3.50 changing profile crash bug that the beta team replicated by the way. For now with this version (and I suspect 3.4 where I first saw it) don't set small or large datafield as your main menu dashboard.

Wayne

Edited by wa2n

Strange, I was looking at these units or the New Magellan series.

Reading these posts I have come to 2 conclusions:

1) Looks like I will not be purchasing a new unit just yet. My current is a Meridian Color.

2) The symptoms seem suspiciously like static degradation. Almost as if the people assembling the units are not wearing anti-static bands.

"2) The symptoms seem suspiciously like static degradation. Almost as if the people assembling the units are not wearing anti-static bands. "

I try to understand this for about 2 month now and after 3 swaps I'm very happy with the Montana, but could you explain what might happen to the display if you,re not wearing anti static bands, I know about chips, but a display, are they as sensitive too??

Edited by splashy

I don't have a Montana, but I had a similar problem with a cell phone. The problem turned out to be the case was touching the digitizer unevenly. I had taken it apart to fix something else and I guess I didn't put the LCD back perfectly aligned or some debris got between the case and the screen. I suspect one corner was pushing harder on the screen. Reassembly fixed it. I figured it out when it kept working with the case removed and stopped working when I put the case back on. Maybe the LCD batch mention by Garmin is too thick or the digitizer extends too far.

About the serial numbers, there might not be an exact correlation between serial number range and LCD batch number. Especially after refurbishing.

Are other people finding that the calibration of the screen is way off and the calibration routine does not correct this? On my unit, if I press the screen with a map displaying, the pin icon appears around 3/4" higher than where I pressed. With drop down menus such as Where To, if I press on a button, the button one or two rows higher will light up. Customer support says they know about this and a software upgrade is in the works but they don't know when it will be released. Think this is true or is it a hardware problem? This flaw makes my unit very aggravating to use. Are others experiencing this problem??

Hi yes mailed Garmin and got nowhere. Will phone on Monday and see what response I get. It was fine till I did the first update then it has just become worse it is almost useless somedays. It now has 3.50 but no better.

If you have nothing to add, then don't.

Things are how they are, nobody forced you/me to buy one.

What you call a lemon might be the greatest forward leap until now in Garmin gps history and if you buy a good working outdoor/carnav Garmin in 1 or 2 years time, it's because some pioneers wanted to buy this, what you call 'lemon', that by the way is THE most sophisticated gps you can think about.

Programmable screen, -shortcuts (multi action function), -dashboards, -profiles and almost all you can think about.

If it was a lemon I would say so (I almost got myself banned here one time, when I did in wrong words) , but with the Montana Garmin is doing all they can to get it straighten out in no time, also they listen and communicate and even if I swapped 3 times, so what? I knew I was buying a first generation and was also expecting some problems, but because it's Garmin I didn't worry.

Edited by splashy

I agree with Tuena. Customers should not be a product Guinea pig and Garmin should have fully tested this product instead of rushing it to the consumer. It is hard to get customers back once they have been burned and go to a competing company.

IMHO Garmin should stop selling them until they get the things working right.

Sure, people expect problems with anything 1st gen item but by three swaps I would want a refund.

Very happy with my new GPSMAP 62 ST. Does everything the Montana does but I don't have to worry about my screen becoming uncalibrated and the entire device becoming unusable.

Edited by GermanyBert

As I said, your 62st is working so well because of problems with the 60th series and Oregons.

If we have to wait until all problems are gone and solved they are too late.

All major companies launch early.

BTW if you have a screen issue, the gps is more or less functional, it's annoying but it brings you home.

Edited by splashy

I can totally understand the concerns of people, including myself, who fear losing operability at the most inopportune time. I've had several units in use since July and know several other people with Montana's that have never had this issue. So in reality the percentage of affected units is small and if your unlucky enough to have gotten a faulty unit (some twice) Garmin will replace it free of charge.

I have to agree with Splashy. The Montana is indeed the biggest leap forward in Garmin handhelds possibly since high sensitivity receivers were introduced, in terms of interface, ease of use, and custom setup. After setting up my Montana, using an Oregon feels very clunky indeed. I just don't want people to be dissuaded from purchasing a Montana based on the screen issue that is experienced in a very small percentage of units and is resolved readily by Garmin with a phone call. The Montana is worth it.

Not sure if this has been mentioned here, but I read in another forum it has been observed that units which have a higher rate of screen problems, have a kind of honeycomb pattern if you look at the screen with the device switched off.

Mind that I said "observed", so it's not a given that this type of screens are bad.

Not sure if this has been mentioned here, but I read in another forum it has been observed that units which have a higher rate of screen problems, have a kind of honeycomb pattern if you look at the screen with the device switched off.

I wonder if anyone would mind posting a photo of the pattern. Providing it's something that can be captured in a photo. If this pattern is more than just someones perception, it could be very helpful to those concerned.

Edited by yogazoo

Mind that I said "observed", so it's not a given that this type of screens are bad.

My original item had a screen like this. My new montana does not. this also fits with garmin saying it is a batch issue.

I wonder if anyone would mind posting a photo of the pattern. Providing it's something that can be captured in a photo. If this pattern is more than just someones perception, it could be very helpful to those concerned.

I agree that a picture of the "HoneyComb" pattern or what to look for would be an helpful thing.

Thanks.

Most of the comments I've been reading regarding the screen calibration mentioned the Montana 600. Has anyone had a problem with the 650t? I just ordered mine from "TheGPSStore" and am "hopeful" that it will be a later-manufactured model. Returning the unit would cost me arms and legs...I'm in Japan so I'm hoping and praying I will not have to return it. Garmin will not pay for postage. It would cost me probably close to $100 to ship, then I would have to pay Japanese import taxes again since they would be sending me a new unit again, and then all of this would take nearly a month. A bad, bad deal for me if I get a "lemon". Any idea if this is still continuing? Any replies welcome...thanks!

I think it was always an intermittent problem, and the number of comments about it has died down over time. If it makes you feel any better, I was an early adopter of the 650t (S/N 28V0001xx ordered from TheGPSStore) and have had no troubles since I got it in June. Good luck!

Thank folks for the encouraging remarks. I purchased it about 1 week ago and it is just getting ready to leave my Florida address and should be here in about a week after going thru customs where they will bill me. So from the looks of it, I should be safe, especially if "Gravitysmith" purchased his from TheGpsStore in June. I will report my findings here, hopefully only the good findings. Domo Arigatou!!

Having read through this topic I guess it appears that serial number doesn't seem to relate to this issue, but just wondering where the serial number 2AC000xxx fits into the picture.

Got my hands on this about 2 weeks ago, and after a couple of days of using it, the calibration went off a little bit (not unusable, but had to press the top of any particular button) and then last night went out completely with the same symptoms as others have reported - buttons in the bottom right of screen in Portrait mode cannot be pressed, meaning I can't search for a cache by name.

Really disappointing.

Really disappointing.

Indeed it is, especially after paying a premium for the unit. The good: Garmin will exchange your unit with a unit from a new batch that have had this issue resolved. The bad: you have to pay for shipping and your without your unit for close to two weeks.

I've had this problem and it is a bummer but Garmin fixed it and your guaranteed to get a unit free from this defect from Garmin directly.

I just purchased a Montana 650t & I have the screen calibration problem. My serial number begins with 28V. I haven't heard from Garmin yet.

Geez, I thought this screen calibration was resolved months ago. I purchased my Garmin 650t in October and have had no problems with it. Are they really still shipping bad products? What version software do you have? I stopped upgrading after 3.70 since that is the last "final" version. Everything after that is strictly "beta" and is very risky to load. I don't think however the screen calibration problem can be resolved with software/firmware updates. Where did you order yours from? I got mine from "TheGPSStore"

I just purchased a Montana 650t & I have the screen calibration problem. My serial number begins with 28V. I haven't heard from Garmin yet.

Geez, I thought this screen calibration was resolved months ago. I purchased my Garmin 650t in October and have had no problems with it. Are they really still shipping bad products? What version software do you have? I stopped upgrading after 3.70 since that is the last "final" version. Everything after that is strictly "beta" and is very risky to load. I don't think however the screen calibration problem can be resolved with software/firmware updates. Where did you order yours from? I got mine from "TheGPSStore"

I just realized that my serial number also begins with "28V". Holy cow!

There is a 3.90 version that is the last "final" one that webupdate will load. It doesn't load beta versions.

I haven't so far had an issue with screen calibration. However, yesterday I had something happen that worried me. I was naming my geocaching quick filters when several keys on the keyboard would not work. / * : < > ? " Only those characters in either portrait or landscape mode and so far only when naming quick filters. Does anybody else see this?

Editing to add that I have a montana 600 with a serial number starting with 28T01xxxx. I upgraded to 4.03 firmware on Friday. Since I've only had this unit for a little more than a week I have no idea if this keyboard problem was there before the update.

Edited by LadyBee4T