leaving music on a microsd card in a cache.

I've been thinking of leaving some of my favorite tunes on a microsd card when i take something is this ok? What problems might this cause if any?

Would that be music that you paid for and removed from other sources before leaving this behind? Or is it a copy of what you have? If the latter, it could be considered piracy.

Beside the legal aspect, you'd have to make sure to leave it in containers that are indeed waterproof. The metal leads on the card would corrode, etc. over time.

I would have to agree that I would be wary of an SD card or USB stick from an unknown benefactor with unknown data on it. While I would hope it was all legit and fun, it could too easily be harmful and damaging to my computers.

A CD on the other hand is a pretty safe format for music - while yes they could be used for nefarious files on a computer, as far as I know a CD player itself will just reject the disc if it isn't properly encoded music, so a safe enough bet to pop it in and see what plays.

I've been thinking of leaving some of my favorite tunes on a microsd card when i take something is this ok? What problems might this cause if any?

Would that be music that you paid for and removed from other sources before leaving this behind? Or is it a copy of what you have? If the latter, it could be considered piracy.

It's only "piracy" if somebody thinks they can get a conviction. One SD card worth of tunes that can never be tracked down will not a court case make.

The real issue is going to be this- will anybody actually put it in a device they own for fear of infecting their PC/Mac/Phone with the nam shub of Enki? Probably not. Most likely it will degrade and end up stuck to a tube of bubble soap in the bottom of the ammo can.

I would have to agree that I would be wary of an SD card or USB stick from an unknown benefactor with unknown data on it. While I would hope it was all legit and fun, it could too easily be harmful and damaging to my computers.

A CD on the other hand is a pretty safe format for music - while yes they could be used for nefarious files on a computer, as far as I know a CD player itself will just reject the disc if it isn't properly encoded music, so a safe enough bet to pop it in and see what plays.

Actually, a CD would not be any safer, depending on how the system is configured into which the device is insertedd. CDs can contain data just as easily as a USB stick or SD card. The problems arise because in many cases the system is configured to auto-execute a file with a specific name if the system finds that file on the media. A CD might have a bunch of MP3 files on it that one could play but it could also contain a file that executes when the device is inserted which does something nefarious.

It's only "piracy" if somebody thinks they can get a conviction. One SD card worth of tunes that can never be tracked down will not a court case make.

It's only a crime if you get caught?

:laughing:

Apparantly it's ok to break the law "a little bit". Good to know! ;)

If the speed limit is 55 and you drive 56, you are exceeding the speed limit. You'll 99.9999% likely never get a ticket, but you are still exceeding the speed limit!

Anyway - that's leading this conversation astray. Apparently in OP's case, the music being considered is free for distribution so no biggie.

Bad CDs can mess up your system as easily as bad memory chips. Just ask folks who bought music CDs from Sony.

http://en.wikipedia....rootkit_scandal

Even though I never got bitten by that personally, to this day I won't buy anything from Sony.

That said, all you need to do (in Windows) is hold down the Shift key while inserting the CD, and it won't auto-execute anything. Personally, I like the OP's idea.

An SD card would be much better than a CD!

I found an older cache with broken plastic shards from what used to be a CD. It seemed to have been jammed in there with no CD case. I removed that and some other broken junk, to be thrown away back at the parking lot.

The SD card would be less likely to break than a CD, and if you put it in a little watertight container, it should hold up well.

Also, it could hold more music than a CD, and even if it was just a blank SD card, it's a useful item in its own way.

That said, all you need to do (in Windows) is hold down the Shift key while inserting the CD, and it won't auto-execute anything. Personally, I like the OP's idea.

If you have Windows 7, that is no longer necessary. It will pop up a window asking you what you want to do when you insert a CD. Choose from: Do Nothing; Browse the Files; View Photos; Run the Program

Bad CDs can mess up your system as easily as bad memory chips. Just ask folks who bought music CDs from Sony.

I heard for a similar incident on a radio show that interviewed some guy from a Federal government cyber crime organization. In this case it involved the used digital picture frames, purchased from a big box electronics store. The digital memory storage used to store photos also contained an executable file that would root through the file system, look for credit card and social security number then send them to an email address in China.

A few years ago there as a virus that was being spread primarily to USB flash drives. When it hit my university a dozen or so linux based scanning and removal stations were set up around campus where students (or anyone else) could have their flash drives checked out. After 3-4 days of scanning (with someone that probably had other work to do manning each station) over 1500 devices were found which contained the virus, including at least one instance that I know of which had the virus on the SD card in a digital camera.

Yea, I would definitely not put a found SD card in to any of my computers or phones. But I would listen to a CD probably. Not much harm that I'm aware of could come of that.

You are forgetting Sony/BMG and their rootkits... Course if you put the CD into a CD player and not a PC you'd probably be OK.

Yea, I would definitely not put a found SD card in to any of my computers or phones. But I would listen to a CD probably. Not much harm that I'm aware of could come of that.

coming from a person who works on govenrment information security systems I can tell you CD's are no more secure than an SD card.. I would never use it (unless its a legit CD from the store) in my computers. just my $0.02 :) Of course if you put it in a cd player you are OK (unless they put some of that liquid-nitrogen stuff [not sure what its called] so it melts your cd player)

Edited by DRA6N
I would never use it (unless its a legit CD from the store) in my computers. just my $0.02
A number of years ago, a CD produced by Microsoft and distributed to hundreds if not thousands of people at one of their conference had a virus on it.

this is very true. Apple did this as well

Even though I never got bitten by that personally, to this day I won't buy anything from Sony.

Or, disable it completely. I have had auto-start, auto-play disabled for over a decade. I would have no problem mounting unknown media and letting my AV software examine it. Regardless, I would never execute anything from it.

I would never use it (unless its a legit CD from the store) in my computers. just my $0.02
A number of years ago, a CD produced by Microsoft and distributed to hundreds if not thousands of people at one of their conference had a virus on it.

Was that perhaps the Vista virus? :)

Wow, they've actually done it a couple times.

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/wazzu.shtml

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1001-935994.html

I'd thought about doing this at one point (on CD) as well. I thought I'd burn a CD with a single track from an independent artist I like, with their permission of course. It would be family-friendly content, too.

My concern is with Groundspeak's non-commercial policy. As I understand it, cache pages and all logs are held against this... does it apply to swag as well? I mean, people leave gift cards for coffee shops, right?

:laughing:

Apparantly it's ok to break the law "a little bit". Good to know! ;)

If the speed limit is 55 and you drive 56, you are exceeding the speed limit. You'll 99.9999% likely never get a ticket, but you are still exceeding the speed limit!

Anyway - that's leading this conversation astray. Apparently in OP's case, the music being considered is free for distribution so no biggie.

That doesn't say what you think it says.

In our country, yes.

Look, it might be illegal to distribute songs in any form or quantity, but I'd hardly brand it as "piracy". Yarr.

Usually that's reserved for much larger operations or collectives of file sharers.

It's kind of like calling the guy that holds up the 7-11 a terrorist.

The real issue is going to be this- will anybody actually put it in a device they own for fear of infecting their PC/Mac/Phone with the nam shub of Enki? Probably not. Most likely it will degrade and end up stuck to a tube of bubble soap in the bottom of the ammo can.

I love that definition about "piracy". To take it a little further killing someone in premeditated cold blood is only a crime if someone thinks they can a conviction. Theft is theft whether or not someone can get a conviction.

I love that definition about "piracy". To take it a little further killing someone in premeditated cold blood is only a crime if someone thinks they can a conviction. Theft is theft whether or not someone can get a conviction.

:)

It's like pregnancy. You either are or aren't. You aren't "just a little pregnant so let's not use that word".

My only large cache find was meant for trading CDs. There was a couple in there and most home made. I wish I still had my old ones in the car and would have thrown a couple in! To me for my equipment cds are out dated but might use a SD card. If it was corroded at all and I think it could be I would not use it. Probibly best to keep it for something that will pop up in the future. If it was in good shape I would not have a problem sticking it in my car cd player but not sure about my computer.

-WarNinjas

It's like pregnancy. You either are or aren't. You aren't "just a little pregnant so let's not use that word".

Let's not turn this into The Most Fun Thread Ever, okay? I'm talking about scale, not binary conditions or over contrived conditions. In the first example the condition and description of "in premeditated cold blood" was tacked on. You're eliminating the possible degrees of murder right there- you set the scale and then used that as the basis for saying basically "this is either one way or another, nothing in-between".

In the second example you picked a binary condition. You are either pregnant or you aren't.

SCALE.

Illegal distribution of copyrighted materials? Sure. Sailing the high seas on a big ship with a feather in my hat and a parrot on my shoulder somewhere off the coast of Sweden in international waters hosting access to thousands of terabytes of data? Not so much.

Seriously, you guys sound like a badly written after-school special. "Billy gave Sam his Duran Duran CD so that he could copy it to his computer... Billy may not have known it, but Billy was pushing 80 mph on a Highway Straight to Hell."

Let's not turn this into The Most Fun Thread Ever, okay? I'm talking about scale, not binary conditions or over contrived conditions. In the first example the condition and description of "in premeditated cold blood" was tacked on. You're eliminating the possible degrees of murder right there- you set the scale and then used that as the basis for saying basically "this is either one way or another, nothing in-between".

In the second example you picked a binary condition. You are either pregnant or you aren't.

SCALE.

Illegal distribution of copyrighted materials? Sure. Sailing the high seas on a big ship with a feather in my hat and a parrot on my shoulder somewhere off the coast of Sweden in international waters hosting access to thousands of terabytes of data? Not so much.

Seriously, you guys sound like a badly written after-school special. "Billy gave Sam his Duran Duran CD so that he could copy it to his computer... Billy may not have known it, but Billy was pushing 80 mph on a Highway Straight to Hell."

I 100% agree about SCALE. Whether you get prosecuted depends on SCALE.

You seem to be saying that when you're low on the scale that you haven't actually committed the offense. That's just illogical and wrong. You *have* committed the offense but on a SCALE where you most likely won't get noticed/caught/prosecuted.

We're now starting to get cyclical in our discussion so this is where I exit. It will either conclude with you understanding **OR** in you clinging to an illogical and indefensible stance. Either way, I'd have nothing further to contribute after that. If you want the last word, take it.

EDIT: BTW - you lost me about murder and cold blood. Those weren't examples I put forth. I never used the words "in premeditated cold blood" like you imply. But oh well...

Edited by Redfist

this is a link to the creative commons .org page explaining the license that covers all of misantrof's music. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ and this is the music website i am talking about. http://www.misantrof.net

Woah dude, don't worry about piracy. They don't track down the millions of people that download it, they track down the one that uploaded it and charge them money for everyone that downloaded it. No expense to you, only to the uploader.

If you have Windows 7, that is no longer necessary. It will pop up a window asking you what you want to do when you insert a CD. Choose from: Do Nothing; Browse the Files; View Photos; Run the Program

The autoplay options menu is not exactly new to Windows 7, as XP and Vista had it as well, but it applies to more forms of media with Windows 7 and Vista than it did with XP.

this is a link to the creative commons .org page explaining the license that covers all of misantrof's music. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ and this is the music website i am talking about. http://www.misantrof.net

Woah dude, don't worry about piracy. They don't track down the millions of people that download it, they track down the one that uploaded it and charge them money for everyone that downloaded it. No expense to you, only to the uploader.

i'm not worried about piracy i just thought others were so i post a link to show what i was talking about with this labels music.