Garmin Montana v2.80

Lotek420

Montana (WebUpdater) software version 2.80

Changes made from version 2.70 to 2.80:

Fixed searching near a map point

Fixed Add to Route feature in Waypoint Manager

Fixed issues with incorrect dashboard showing on map when custom dashboards are enabled

Fixed issues navigating using a shortcut when prompted routing is enabled

Fixed Coordinates menu item

Fixed Where To items on the main menu

Fixed shortcuts that switch profiles

Added ability to enable and disable BirdsEye providers using shortcuts

I have a Montana 600. The biggest problem, at least with my unit, has not been fixed yet these upgrades. The touch screen is out of calibration and the calibration routine does not correct it. On my unit, if I touch the screen when a map is showing, the pin icon appears about 3/4" higher than where I pressed. On the drop down menus such as "Where To", if I press one of the buttons, a button two lines higher will light up. The forward button on the bottom does not work at all because of this.

This flaw makes my unit very aggravating to use. Customer service says they aware of this and a software upgrade is in the works but they can't say when it will come out. I've read where other users say it a hardware problem.

I sold my 60CSX with all it's mapping software to get this Montana and regret that move so far.

I have a Montana 600. The biggest problem, at least with my unit, has not been fixed yet these upgrades. The touch screen is out of calibration and the calibration routine does not correct it. On my unit, if I touch the screen when a map is showing, the pin icon appears about 3/4" higher than where I pressed. On the drop down menus such as "Where To", if I press one of the buttons, a button two lines higher will light up. The forward button on the bottom does not work at all because of this.

This flaw makes my unit very aggravating to use. Customer service says they aware of this and a software upgrade is in the works but they can't say when it will come out. I've read where other users say it a hardware problem.

I sold my 60CSX with all it's mapping software to get this Montana and regret that move so far.

Garmin replaced my first Montana 650 that had the same screen calibration problem. The screen on the new one works fine.

The barometer now works as it should when set to "Save Always". Not in the documentation but it's fixed. Data is now dynamic with a resolution of 15 minutes.

If you can't get your screen to calibrate you have a defective unit and Garmin will replace it free of charge. If you push the issue I'm sure you can get some kind of compensation for the return shipping costs and time without a unit.

>>Added ability to enable and disable BirdsEye providers using shortcuts

Is there any video, how to setup?

When your creating a shortcut go into "Setup" and select "Map Information". You can make a shortcut that enables or disables each mapset. Before this update you could create a shortcut that enabled and disabled each map except for BirdsEye. Now it works with birdseye too! I am always disabling/enabling birdseye and it's nice to now have a shortcut where I can do it from the map screen (Favorites).

Edited by yogazoo

>>Added ability to enable and disable BirdsEye providers using shortcuts

Is there any video, how to setup?

When your creating a shortcut go into "Setup" and select "Map Information". You can make a shortcut that enables or disables each mapset. Before this update you could create a shortcut that enabled and disabled each map except for BirdsEye. Now it works with birdseye too! I am always disabling/enabling birdseye and it's nice to now have a shortcut where I can do it from the map screen (Favorites).

Thank you Yogazoo.

I'm glad the BirdEye Enable/Disable via shortcut has been fixed... but it appears enabling/disabling regular vector maps is broken. I can select to disable mapsets but I cannot create a shortcut to enable them. The "1" in the "Setup" button dissapears when I go back in to check up on an "Enable Map" shortcut in the "Shortcut" setup menu. I can't wait until this feature is fixed, being able to enable/disable various maps from the favorites dashboard on my map screen is really handy.

I'm not sure if you did so already, but send it in. They will exchange the unit.

PS. I'm with you there, with the regrets. But knowing garmin, the software will improve. It can't really get any worse :)

I have noticed a potential bug:

* I navigate to geocache GCXXX

* I find the geocache

* I use the GPS function "log attempt" -> "found"

* My GPS gives me the options "done" / "edit comment" / "find next closest"

* I choose "find next closest"

* The GPS _again_ chooses geocache GCXXX, and navigates to this one

I was expecting that "find next closest" after a "found" log, would choose another cache than the one I just said that I found...

Is anyone else having this problem?