Who Took The Bugs Out?

Sabaharr

I finally got my wife as interested in caching as I am, but she suddenly got a likeing for Travel Bugs. This was OK with me because I used the opportunity to buy a set of 8 which I have been wanting to do for a while. This and last weekend we went out caching and she had to hit all the caches with bugs. Out of ten that we hit only one still had the bug in it icon_frown.gif, despite the fact that all those caches still have their bugs listed as present in them. Who is taking the bugs out of caches and not logging them out or moving them to new caches? icon_confused.gif This is getting to be very discourageing to her and myself. We go to the trouble of moving every bug we see to help them along and most we go for have been "STOLEN?". Does anyone know any way we can better keep track of whats going on with the bugs out there? I just let out 4 new ones, my wife has 4 also, and I am worried that we will never hear from them again. icon_mad.gif

Life is like being on a dog sled team. If you are not the lead dog the view is always the same.

Complacancy is feeding a tiger steaks while waiting for him to become a vegitarian.

Annoying isnt it? icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sabaharr:

This and last weekend we went out caching and she had to hit all the caches with bugs. Out of ten that we hit only one still had the bug in it icon_frown.gif,

One thing I do is go over all the recent online logs. Sometimes they get picked up by someone who doesnt use the track TB area to move the icon(Or has not figured out how). But they still might say in their log that they took the TB.

quote:
despite the fact that all those caches still have their bugs listed as present in them. Who is taking the bugs out of caches and not logging them out or moving them to new caches? icon_confused.gif

A TB could be in a new cache, if it no one grabbed and dropped it, how could you tell.

If you go to a cache that is suppose to have a bug, but doesn't, read threw the logbook. Sometimes you can figure out what/who happened. There was a TB in my area that turned up missing and noone knew happened to it. But after checking the logbook, I figured out that it had been picked up a newbie team (from about 100 miles away!) that had not logged any of their (6 finds i think) adventures online. After a couple emails everything got straightened out icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Does anyone know any way we can better keep track of whats going on with the bugs out there?

Not, while still having them travel by the usual means.

Seems adding additional information helps, but I think you already do that.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Won't help you much with someone else's bug that's gone missing, but for each bug I release, I now use the Washington State Geocaching Association's "Make a Travel Bug Sheet" page. You can use this page to create a custom-made info sheet for the travel bug. I seal my bug, along with the info sheet, into a baggie before placing it.

The link is right here.

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

Bug-B-Gone

Although a "newbie" myself, I understand the TB concept (although, I don't think I would partake icon_biggrin.gif this early in my GC career).

Maybe some advice would be to let the "Christmas Rush" settle down before placing too many TB's, as it is apparent that everyone under the sun now has a GPSr. I believe that since the TB's initially look the most appealing in the cache, your getting "hooked" by individuals who have no idea of what they are grabbing. Or maybe they do?!