Is this an agenda?

d+n.s

So, take a peek at this new cache in my area: http://coord.info/GC31RZA

Does this count as an agenda cache?

Now I want to be clear, I don't care. I don't want it archived either way, so please don't jump my case about being a rules lawyer and being overly concerned with other people's caches.

I also don't care about your opinion about what the cache owner is saying. Agree or disagree, it's beside the point.

I'm just sort of curious if it qualifies as an agenda in the eyes of others? I kind of think it is, but it was published, so I wonder if maybe I don't understand the difference.

Just for fun lets discuss it. Its either that or fight about LPCs and log signing :laughing:

Have you found it yet? I'm thinking the so-called agenda is a bunch of poo.

hidden in a theme-appropriate location.

I assume you are right. I haven't found it. Does that affect things at all?

It could be a hint on the hide. But the hint seems to indicate that it is not a poo hide, but is a poo picker-upper dispenser.

I dont see it as an agenda. I see it as a complaint. And a valid one.

Expect the first line bothers me. I live upstairs and have 2 dogs and no yard. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Its a pretty lousy complaint considering the location. There is a HUGE dog park within walking distance of his cache (on the map its that giant green area on the other side of the river. Leash free dog area with a dock for chasing balls into the water) and several others a short distance away. You don't need a yard for your dog to be happy if you live that close to a giant leash free area that's far nicer than anyone's yard.

Expect the first line bothers me. I live upstairs and have 2 dogs and no yard. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Its a pretty lousy complaint considering the location. There is a HUGE dog park within walking distance of his cache (on the map its that giant green area on the other side of the river. Leash free dog area with a dock for chasing balls into the water) and several others a short distance away. You don't need a yard for your dog to be happy if you live that close to a giant leash free area that's far nicer than anyone's yard.

I was refering to the complaint about people not picking up thier dogs droppings. I agree you dont need a yard to keep most dogs happy.

I was refering to the complaint about people not picking up thier dogs droppings. I agree you dont need a yard to keep most dogs happy.

Oh yeah, that drives me completely insane, but I would not complain about it in a cache description, because I would have assumed that using a cache to criticize people is a an agenda...

Edited by d+n.s

Doesn't sound liek a fake poo cache. Sounds like it's on the poo bag dispenser. Magnetic nano...

Agenda... mild one...

I'm sure there are others, but the poo-bag dispensers around me are not magnetic. I learned that the hard way once, after I carefully measured one, went home and cut out a piece of magnetic vinyl the same size as the underside, and painted it a matching green. Went down to attach it, only to find that the boxes in my neck of the woods are either almuminum or stainless steel.

Edit to add: I should have read the hint.

Edited by knowschad

Doesn't sound liek a fake poo cache. Sounds like it's on the poo bag dispenser. Magnetic nano...

Agenda... mild one...

Yup, nano on the poo bag dispenser.

I say no agenda. The CO is annoyed by people who have dogs in high rise condos. Me, I'm annyoned by people who whistle. Never made a cache about it, but there's some inspiration. :o

Agenda... mild one...

I'm sure there are others, but the poo-bag dispensers around me are not magnetic. I learned that the hard way once, after I carefully measured one, went home and cut out a piece of magnetic vinyl the same size as the underside, and painted it a matching green. Went down to attach it, only to find that the boxes in my neck of the woods are either almuminum or stainless steel.

:laughing:

Oh, that sucks! I'm sorry... fun story though :lol:

Agenda... mild one...

So... it's genuine poo. Around here, the dispensers are attached to the disposal bins. So you may hope that the dog owners don't use the bin, if the cache is there. But you can find it by smell, so that's a plus.

Edited by kunarion

My thoughts are logical and simplistic.

If it was an agenda it wouldn't have been approved therefore it is not.

I have great faith in the reviewers.

I have faith in the reviewers too, but they are just people. People have differing opinions and outlooks. I kinda' feel like they are all usually valid.

I love reading film reviews, but they don't decide what I personally think of a film. I think having a personal perspective on tings is vital to making good decisions myself.

No less simple or logical IMO.

I'm not sure if this is an agenda or not, but its the first cache description that I've ever read that made me wonder.

If I think thought it WAS an agenda, and the reviewer did not, I wouldn't necessarily think it should be archived or it shouldn't be published.

Edited by d+n.s

I have faith in the reviewers too, but they are just people. People have differing opinions and outlooks. I kinda' feel like they are all usually valid.

I love reading film reviews, but they don't decide what I personally think of a film. I think having a personal perspective on tings is vital to making good decisions myself.

I'm not sure if this is an agenda or not, but its the first cache description that I've ever read that made me wonder.

In addition, cache pages can be edited after publication.

In addition, cache pages can be edited after publication.

I've honestly never thought about that... weird. Someone could slide something out there if they were somehow bored and sneaky enough. Interesting. I learned something!

Many agendas are also complaints. I see this as absolutly an agenda. It is also a very valid complaint.

I see a quite a few caches that seem to be an agenda, and they still get published. (Breast cancer awareness, colon cancer awareness,etc.) This one seems somewhat mild.

Generally you can get away with more if it has to do with the theme of the cache. The agenda guideline is there because "geocaching is intended to be a light and enjoyable family-friendly hobby". If there is some connection to the theme and location of the and if the cache page addresses this with a bit of humor and doesn't come across as too pushy, the reviewer is more likely to publish. If it appears that the sole or primary purpose is to push an agenda, then the reviewer will likely insist on changes before publishing.

what do you mean, you don't have to pick after your dog in a dog park? :blink:

and no, i see no agenda at all...just venting

Edited by t4e

Sounds like a rant against people who don't pick up after their pets.

I agree. While it may fall within the guidelines, I strongly support the agenda guideline and the statement that "geocaching is intended to be a light and enjoyable family-friendly hobby" and think that using a cache page listing to express a personal peeve toes the line.

So what if it was a vent against people that drive gas-guzzling SUVs? How about venting against people that drive in the fast lane of a highway with their left turn signal on. How about people that drive too slow, or too fast. Is a geocache page listing really an appropriate forum for venting against non-geocaching behaviors of others?

So what if it was a vent against people that drive gas-guzzling SUVs? How about venting against people that drive in the fast lane of a highway with their left turn signal on. How about people that drive too slow, or too fast. Is a geocache page listing really an appropriate forum for venting against non-geocaching behaviors of others?

while i agree its not the right place to vent there is no guideline prohibiting venting, is there?

while i agree its not the right place to vent there is no guideline prohibiting venting, is there?

No, there isn't, but I've always adhered to the notion that just because a geocache can be published because it falls within the guidelines doesn't mean that it's a good idea to submit a specific cache for publishing.

Agenda... mild one...

"I'm sure there are others, but the poo-bag dispensers around me are not magnetic. I learned that the hard way once, after I carefully measured one, went home and cut out a piece of magnetic vinyl the same size as the underside, and painted it a matching green. Went down to attach it, only to find that the boxes in my neck of the woods are either almuminum or stainless steel.

Edit to add: I should have read the hint."

I have a solution for this problem. Just saw a cache this weekend where someone attached a rectangle of magnets to the back of a wooden sign, then attached a metal cover, complete with fake screwheads so it looks like it is screwed to the back of the wooden sign. That metal cover was stuck to the rectangle of magnets. Very nice concept and basically invisible to muggles.

Edited by deb3day