Puzzle Cache Help Please

Okay, I'm stuck on a puzzle cache. If I've done puzzle caches before, it's because everything was mentioned in the description to solve it. This puzzle give me a jumble of letters with no idea which cipher I'm supposed to use. The first coords send me to a Big Boy, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. I tried lining up the letters to a phone keypad, but even though that gives me 14 digits (enough for a set of coordinates), it's nowhere near the original coords. What am I missing? I thought in order to be a puzzle cache, the description was supposed to contain everything I would need to solve it. Instead, all I get is BIBFXEMOGACAHE. How am I supposed to solve a puzzle with just that?

The cache is Element of Surprise (GC1QYB9)

I've since looked at other puzzle caches and it looks like this type of puzzle isn't that uncommon. What the hell am I missing? Did everyone else get a decoder ring???

Okay, I'm stuck on a puzzle cache. If I've done puzzle caches before, it's because everything was mentioned in the description to solve it. This puzzle give me a jumble of letters with no idea which cipher I'm supposed to use. The first coords send me to a Big Boy, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. I tried lining up the letters to a phone keypad, but even though that gives me 14 digits (enough for a set of coordinates), it's nowhere near the original coords. What am I missing? I thought in order to be a puzzle cache, the description was supposed to contain everything I would need to solve it. Instead, all I get is BIBFXEMOGACAHE. How am I supposed to solve a puzzle with just that?

I've since looked at other puzzle caches and it looks like this type of puzzle isn't that uncommon. What the hell am I missing? Did everyone else get a decoder ring???

There has been many a debate about getting help for a puzzle in the forums. Generally, I think it is frowned upon. Have you asked the owner for a hint?

Have you contacted the cache Owner? That is the best place to get help. It is considered bad form to use the forums for help with puzzles as it becomes a spoiler for others.

Others can type faster then me. :blink:

Edited by captnemo

This is what I emailed to the cache owner this morning...

Okay, so, I've been trying to figure out this code all night. Woke up with a headache from trying to let my subconscious try to solve it in my sleep. I even asked around my office the next day, but no takers.

First, I tried the standard letter to number cypher. No luck. That's nowhere near the area that I'm in. Next, I tried using the phone keypad, since there's 14 letters in your hint and there's 14 numbers in a longitude and latitude. Still, nowhere near my area. Is there a hint IN the Big Boy? I mean, BIBEMOGACAHE could be interpreted in so many ways. You could take your team name, count the letters and add the number of letters to the letters in the clue. Or you could do the same with the cache name. Or you could write to the manager of that particular Big Boy and when he writes back, the you can search for the managers info online, find his birthday, and subtract his birthyear from the given letter/number cypher. I realize I'm overthinking this, but that's what I do, and that's also why I don't do a lot of puzzle caches. I make them out to be MUCH more difficult than they need to be.

So, is there a hint in the Big Boy? Sorry, but BIBFXEMOGACAHE gives me nothing. The first thing I thought of is, okay, I'm at Big Boy, so they give small children a BIB to eat with. FX? Well, maybe the owner of this Big Boy plays the FX channel on every TV while you eat. EMO? Maybe all the waitresses are into EMO music. Maybe the Owner is From GA and the manager is from CA. And the HE means that only a guy can solve this puzzle which means the cache might be in the mens bathroom. I'm not kidding. 10 seconds after seeing the clue, this is EXACTLY what my mind put together.

So, any help would be appreciated.

Seriously? Figured this one out in under 5 minutes. Its not that hard. If you really can't get it, do as others have suggested and contact the CO. Good luck!

I'm sure it's not that hard if you've done a few puzzle caches before. If I say, in order to find the cache, solve the puzzle. The puzzle is SDFOLWNMEOFIWNACOIANMWDEOI and you don't tell me what kind of cypher that is and there is no other hint in the description, how is that any help? I'm sure once I get the solution, all the other puzzle caches will look very similar and I'll have a better idea of how to solve. I'm really surprised I haven't started swearing or foaming at the mouth yet. This is seriously aggravating!

I don't think that posting possible solutions is acceptable, either. <_<

Posting private emails isn't kosher. <_<

If you do a forum search for "puzzles" or some variant, you will find that this comes up a lot. There have been plenty of helpful posts made about how to start solving puzzles in general.

Have you looked up these previous posts?

The cache owner would probably not appreciate having his/her puzzle discussed or solutions posted on the internet. There's no point in creating a puzzle if the solution is going to be out there for everyone to find.

Also, as has been stated many, many times on the forums, it's against the Terms of Use....

http://www.geocaching.com/about/termsofuse.aspx

4. Use of Publishing Tools and Forums

All features, functions and areas of the geocaching.com website, including the Groundspeak Forums (http://forums.Groundspeak.com), are governed by this Agreement and are also subject to such additional terms and conditions as Groundspeak may, from time to time, publicize. To post in the Groundspeak Discussion Forums, you must be 18 years or older, or under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian.

You and not Groundspeak, are entirely responsible for all content that you upload, post or otherwise transmit via the Site. You agree not to:

(m) Publish, in any form of media, the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the cache owner.

There's a coords checker on that puzzle, isn't there? Have you used it?

Seriously? Figured this one out in under 5 minutes. Its not that hard. If you really can't get it, do as others have suggested and contact the CO. Good luck!

I'm sure it's not that hard if you've done a few puzzle caches before. If I say, in order to find the cache, solve the puzzle. The puzzle is SDFOLWNMEOFIWNACOIANMWDEOI and you don't tell me what kind of cypher that is and there is no other hint in the description, how is that any help? I'm sure once I get the solution, all the other puzzle caches will look very similar and I'll have a better idea of how to solve. I'm really surprised I haven't started swearing or foaming at the mouth yet. This is seriously aggravating!

Part of the puzzle is determining the decryption needed.

Posting how to decrypt the puzzle would be giving you the solution. And as been stated, that's against the Terms of Use, and just generally frowned upon in the forums.

I totally empathize with you. I have been here many times. I've come across probably 20 of these puzzles in my searches. The ratings always make it seem like it's the easiest thing to do and yet there I am, wracking my brain trying to figure out the cipher. In the end I just ignore the caches. I'm sure once I get one solved it'll help with all the others, but it's just not that deep for me. I'd rather have to solve a riddle, find clues in a puzzle, or use an established cipher in the puzzle instead of spend the time to figure out one of these. I hope the CO steers you in the right path.

-Josh

Persevere. Not all puzzles are cyphers, and the best people to ask for help are always the cache owners. Seeing that it is a D:2, I wouldn't beat your head against a wall too hard.

I totally empathize with you. I have been here many times. I've come across probably 20 of these puzzles in my searches. The ratings always make it seem like it's the easiest thing to do and yet there I am, wracking my brain trying to figure out the cipher. In the end I just ignore the caches. I'm sure once I get one solved it'll help with all the others, but it's just not that deep for me. I'd rather have to solve a riddle, find clues in a puzzle, or use an established cipher in the puzzle instead of spend the time to figure out one of these. I hope the CO steers you in the right path.

-Josh

I know, but, I can't help but feel that someone helped everyone else here. How can you solve this in 5 minutes? The letters could be referring to, as my GF suggested, elements of the periodic table, which gives me no clue to the coordinates. According to the rules, a puzzle cache needs to have everything you need to solve it in the description. And by my standards, it isn't. The longer I think about it, the more abstract my line of thinking gets. In order to find the coordinates, solve this puzzle: wwwww333s3w333eds. How is that a farking puzzle???? Yeah, I'm getting more and more pissed because it's not a puzzle or a riddle. Maybe I just have to wait until the CO emails me back, but that may not happen soon, or ever. How do you solve this puzzle, sitting at the coords with just your GPS? You don't have the internet or a secret decoder ring. The description doesn't help. I know, I know. I should just pack it in and quit. Sorry if I seem to be taking this personally, but I thought this was designed for kids and families, not mathematics professors.

-Josh

I know, but, I can't help but feel that someone helped everyone else here. How can you solve this in 5 minutes? The letters could be referring to, as my GF suggested, elements of the periodic table, which gives me no clue to the coordinates. According to the rules, a puzzle cache needs to have everything you need to solve it in the description. And by my standards, it isn't. The longer I think about it, the more abstract my line of thinking gets. In order to find the coordinates, solve this puzzle: wwwww333s3w333eds. How is that a farking puzzle???? Yeah, I'm getting more and more pissed because it's not a puzzle or a riddle. Maybe I just have to wait until the CO emails me back, but that may not happen soon, or ever. How do you solve this puzzle, sitting at the coords with just your GPS? You don't have the internet or a secret decoder ring. The description doesn't help. I know, I know. I should just pack it in and quit. Sorry if I seem to be taking this personally, but I thought this was designed for kids and families, not mathematics professors.

Have you followed up on your GF's idea?

Unless the cache is a really old one, Unknown/Puzzle caches now have to be within around 3 miles of the posted coordinates at the top of the cache page.

Groundspeak brought in the guideline to try to keep TB and Geocoin mileages close to their actual mileage.

If it's an older cache, the coordinates could be a long way off from those listed!

According to the rules, a puzzle cache needs to have everything you need to solve it in the description. And by my standards, it isn't.

Of course it is, it's all there. You may not know what it means or what to do with it, which is exactly why it's a puzzle, but the information is there.

How do you solve this puzzle, sitting at the coords with just your GPS? You don't have the internet or a secret decoder ring. The description doesn't help.

Wait. Having looked at the one puzzle cache that you did do, you may be confused about how puzzle caches generally work. Generally, there's nothing at the given coordinates, they're completely bogus. They're only somewhat close (2-3 km or so) to the actual location, but other than that they're usually completely meaningless. Going there isn't gonna help you. You solve the puzzle at home, at your computer or wherever you want really. Only once you've solved it, you'll have actual coordinates to go to.

-Josh

No, I haven't. I can't see that being the solution, unless when I arrived at the first set of coords, there was a periodic table to use. All of these caches should be solvable in the field. My GPS doesn't have a periodic table. Is the point of puzzle caches to read the description then go to a library, check out all the cypher books you can find, take them home and after a few weeks of reading them all cover to cover, attempt the puzzle? Yeah, that sounds like a ton of fun. How am I supposed to solve this using a period table if that's not common knowledge. Plus, I'm told that I can't even discuss possibilities of what I'm trying and what doesn't work in public forums. So, I can't even make guesses here to see if I'm on the right track. Let's say I did research this with a periodic table and I found Helium, Krypon, Carbon, Selenium and iron. How the hell does that give me coordinates??????? Yeah, I know I'm overthinking this. I do that. In my profession, that's what my brain is trained to do. Find all solutions, no matter how convoluted. Not so with geocaching. It shouldn't be this difficult.

All of these caches should be solvable in the field.

Not true.

It shouldn't be this difficult.

Don't let it get you down. It takes time to get to be "good" at puzzle caches. There are/were many, many notorious puzzle hiders in the surrounds of Portland, OR, and man did I get my chops out there. There are a bazillion ways to make a puzzle, and only time will show you how many.

Persevere. It doesn't have to be difficult.

-Josh

No, I haven't. I can't see that being the solution, unless when I arrived at the first set of coords, there was a periodic table to use. All of these caches should be solvable in the field. My GPS doesn't have a periodic table. Is the point of puzzle caches to read the description then go to a library, check out all the cypher books you can find, take them home and after a few weeks of reading them all cover to cover, attempt the puzzle? Yeah, that sounds like a ton of fun. How am I supposed to solve this using a period table if that's not common knowledge. Plus, I'm told that I can't even discuss possibilities of what I'm trying and what doesn't work in public forums. So, I can't even make guesses here to see if I'm on the right track. Let's say I did research this with a periodic table and I found Helium, Krypon, Carbon, Selenium and iron. How the hell does that give me coordinates??????? Yeah, I know I'm overthinking this. I do that. In my profession, that's what my brain is trained to do. Find all solutions, no matter how convoluted. Not so with geocaching. It shouldn't be this difficult.

Go home and follow up with your idea. Puzzle caches do not have to be solved "in the field". The place you are at is meaningless. It has nothing to do with finding the cache.

[Plus, I'm told that I can't even discuss possibilities of what I'm trying and what doesn't work in public forums. So, I can't even make guesses here to see if I'm on the right track.

Right. Email the owner, and wait. Vent frustration here, sure. But do not ask for help with, or post solutions to puzzle caches in the forums. Save that for a Personal Message (PM), email, or where it should be done--between you and the owner.

If you explain that this is giving you tons of trouble, they are hopefully a nice enough person (most of us are) to offer help. If no, then ask a previous finder for some help. Use your community there to give a nudge. But publicly posting solutions or paths to solution do not belong here in the public forums.

Okay, I've solved it. However, I'm still a little miffed. I thought the description was supposed to have everything there to solve it. Otherwise, what's to stop people from making puzzle caches that require extensive research? I thought you had to make it solvable right there and then, not something that requires research. Not being a chemist, No, I don't know the elements. So, for my next cache, I can use puzzle questions make the search party go home and look up the answers then come back to find the cache? Again, I thought this was not allowed.

***trimmed all the other replies...it's getting unwieldy****

Go home and follow up with your idea. Puzzle caches do not have to be solved "in the field". The place you are at is meaningless. It has nothing to do with finding the cache.

They make a valid point. Unless the cache description itself states something to the effect of "Go to the posted coordinates and look for Whosiwhatsit and make note of the numbers listed near it's Flooglederb..." the posted coordinates are usually bogus and have absolutely nothing to do with the puzzle cache. There's one in my parking lot at work that has nothing at all to do with the puzzle or the final coordinates, which are almost 2 miles away.

-Josh

You've completely misunderstood puzzle caches, then.

I think you're confusing puzzle caches with multi-caches with stages that have information that is available in the field (like info on a plaque or signpost).

The information needed to solve a puzzle is indeed on the cache page. The cache page tells you that the starting coords are just that...starting coordinates, and cache owners generally tell you right on the page that the cache is not there.

It says right there on the cache page:

Cache is not located at the posted coordinates.

Posted coordinates could be a good place to grab a bite while in the area geocaching. To locate the cache, you must solve the following puzzle!

Edited by Pup Patrol

Okay, I've solved it. However, I'm still a little miffed. I thought the description was supposed to have everything there to solve it. Otherwise, what's to stop people from making puzzle caches that require extensive research? I thought you had to make it solvable right there and then, not something that requires research. Not being a chemist, No, I don't know the elements. So, for my next cache, I can use puzzle questions make the search party go home and look up the answers then come back to find the cache? Again, I thought this was not allowed.

This is all allowed. As long as it's solvable with the information given, you can do it, even if it's extremely difficult to solve. Some puzzle caches have been (and still are) sitting unsolved and unfound for years, because nobody could figure them out.

Edited by dfx

I did one a few months back that required me to look up the statistics for the 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers. Even a baseball nut would have had a tough time coming up with some of this stuff. Point is, if it wasn't for Google and about 30 minutes worth of searching, I would have never solved it. Now if they could just replace the muggled cache I could finally log the find.

-Josh

Me too! over a quick coffee break!

Keep hanging in there. The first time encountering almost any but the easiest puzzles can be frustrating. I always say, take a step back from the problem, one step to the left or right, and look at it again. This works in the field for finding the sucker as well.

Just relax and enjoy the suffering, because when solved and found it will seem much more satisfying to you.

Something else to consider, eventually you will find one that is really tough to solve,or even comprehend... I have a stack of solveds, a stack of working ons, and a fair sized stack of WTFs. It is the same with most puzzlers anywhere cacher or not.

I wouldn't be any challenge if it were not so... Experience is the only cure. I've been known to be working on a new tough one when the solution to something else pops into mind... and in return helps me with a level of a multi puzzle. One of the truly hard skills to learn is to be able to back off of a thought train and start over from scratch after a rest period. Another is to discern between what is valid thinking and what is chasing geese, wild or otherwise. You will also aquire a distaste for red herrings... I have one that I absolutely HATE! But I'll get it yet.

Doug 7rxc

I thought the description was supposed to have everything there to solve it. Otherwise, what's to stop people from making puzzle caches that require extensive research? I thought you had to make it solvable right there and then, not something that requires research.

Congrats on solving it! However, the description of the cache you reference does have everything you need to solve the cache. Many, many caches will require some leaps of faith, and certainly lots of homework. Generally speaking, those caches should be listed with a higher difficulty. The cache you referred us to, after having solved a few puzzles in my day, was rated correctly. Maybe a nudge up a half star, but it wasn't outside the realm of reason.

So, for my next cache, I can use puzzle questions make the search party go home and look up the answers then come back to find the cache? Again, I thought this was not allowed.

This is allowed. Sometimes you have to visit a coordinate set, then go back home, perform some calculations, go to another site, turn a crank to get the next set of information, then go home and do some cypher work, then get out and find the cache. All of this is allowed.

Sometimes, there will be nothing on the page. Sometimes, there will be hints and help. Thinking outside of the box might lead you to it right away for some, and for others the solution is staring you in the face.

Take it in stride, and enjoy the hunt. Puzzles are only fun if you let them be! :)

... Otherwise, what's to stop people from making puzzle caches that require extensive research? <snip>

Nothing. That is often the point. Some puzzles require to get information in the field often from signs or by counting items at the posted coords. Many puzzles require you to research, solve puzzles or complete tasks before going out. While I could solve a Sudoku puzzle anywhere, there is no need to do so at the posted coords. Many puzzles will even say that the posted coords are bogus. Take for instance GC18ZN0. The posted coords put you in the middle of Lake Hollingsworth. The cache isn't there but if you solve the puzzle, you will find it is within a mile or so.

Edited by Borst68

Good for you! However, all the information to solve it was provided on the page. You just had to find the tools.

That is what the cache page is for. Once you read it you have to decide whether or not you can do it 'right away' or not.

Often Google or Wikipedia is a good puzzle solving tool and are widely recommended as a secondary starting point.

Doug 7rxc

I did one a few months back that required me to look up the statistics for the 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers. Even a baseball nut would have had a tough time coming up with some of this stuff. Point is, if it wasn't for Google and about 30 minutes worth of searching, I would have never solved it. Now if they could just replace the muggled cache I could finally log the find.

-Josh

Okay, so, whenever I see a puzzle cache, I should first sit down at home and try to solve the puzzle and then go find it? I thought that the first set of coordinates would point to some clue that would assist, such as a sign or numbers written in marker. Or is that a different type of cache?

There is such a wide range in "puzzle" caches that you can't assume that they are all alike.

Here are some puzzle caches that are in my area. As you will see, knowing how to solve one gives you no basis in assuming that the solution method is the same for all of them.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ec29357e-5492-43fa-859b-794613eae361

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a519e01a-76d9-4e28-a615-8eb658a5948b

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9f537df0-0b4b-4471-bdc8-3897c054680b

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=46dca3d0-724c-4f08-b78e-216c7e066738

-Josh

Okay, so, whenever I see a puzzle cache, I should first sit down at home and try to solve the puzzle and then go find it? I thought that the first set of coordinates would point to some clue that would assist, such as a sign or numbers written in marker. Or is that a different type of cache?

Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't. Be sure to look for "Cache is not at the posted coordinates" on the description. Sometimes that helps, sometimes it doesn't. "Mystery" caches are just that: they can be anything (well...almost anything...)

How about this? We get the CO to drive out to the cache site at a time that is convenient to you. Then he or she can lead you by the hand to the cache and point to it so you don't have to put in any effort to find it. Would that be helpful?

Not every cache needs to be simple. There is something for every level of ability and not everyone needs to be able to find every cache. If they were all easy it wouldn't be any fun.

As I said in my previous post, I think you are confusing "puzzle" caches with "multicaches".

Multicaches often have the starting coordinates where you will find a clue to the next set of coords, and on and on, etc.

Some times, the stages of a multicache will be some information you will need from a signpost or a plaque or perhaps a headstone.

Puzzle caches generally need to be solved at home.

A common first line of a puzzle cache page is "the cache is not at the posted coordinates".

Edited by Pup Patrol

As I said in my previous post, I think you are confusing "puzzle" caches with "multicaches".

Multicaches often have the starting coordinates where you will find a clue to the next set of coords, and on and on, etc.

Some times, the stages of a multicache will be some information you will need from a signpost or a plaque or perhaps a headstone.

Puzzle caches generally need to be solved at home.

A common first line of a puzzle cache page is "the cache is not at the posted coordinates".

To be fair, some "Mystery" caches can do this as well. However, they may not have another question to answer or coordinates listed. But then again, they might. Mystery caches don't have to require a "puzzle" to be solved, but they might.

How about this? We get the CO to drive out to the cache site at a time that is convenient to you. Then he or she can lead you by the hand to the cache and point to it so you don't have to put in any effort to find it. Would that be helpful?

Take it down a notch, GOF&B. I'm not so sure any of us needs to take the OP's "miffed" attitude and say things like this. I don't think they intended to have anyone "lead them by the hand" to the solution. This is a simple issue of not having clarity about the meaning of a "?" cache, especially based on some limited experiences hunting/solving enough mystery caches to have a good understanding of what they can be.

That's usually a Multi-cache.

General guideline can be taken as a Multi-cache( multi_72.gif)has the coordinates of the first stage at the top of the cache page.

Unknown/Puzzle caches (unknown_72.gif) have 'Bogus' coordinates... But the cache should be within 3 miles of the posted coords.

Cache types

Going by the OP's question:

I thought that the first set of coordinates would point to some clue that would assist, such as a sign or numbers written in marker. Or is that a different type of cache?

and the fact that all the info needed is on the cache page, I'm pretty certain that the OP is confusing puzzle caches with multicaches.

Yes, "mystery" caches are such a catch-all that any number of variations is possible. It would be hopeless to try and expound on all the ways that a cache ends up being listed as a "?" cache.

Unless you've got an Engima Machine stashed in the car this puzzle would be difficult. But this one you don't need to do anything but walk through town (or in my case remember the things around town).