Geocaching Vacation

Florida is wonderful and there are lots of different caching type settings. The fact that you are looking for an all inclusive might be a challenge but a friend just geocached in Orlando and I am pretty sure you could find anything you would want in an urban setting. However, Florida is famous for its beaches and springs. If there is a specific place in Florida you were interested in, and what types of activities you like to do, we could give you more ideas.

Dominica has enough caches for me should I ever get the chance to go there again. For that matter, if I revisited Tahiti all it would take is one cache. I want to return to Tulum (Mexico) to get a cache there. Jamaica is on my to do list. But we will be spending a few days in Florida this November and hope it is nice as this thread suggests.

I have been "off resort" in all the countries I have visited. I would have missed a lot if I had done it any other way. While there may be places you want to avoid, think about the places you want to see and figure out how to get there.

My advice: There are smileys anywhere. You will remember a beautiful place longer than a film can or ammo box. Pick where you want to go and the rest will follow.

Edited by geodarts

I'd stay away from Mexico.

huh?...what's wrong with mexico? :blink:

We stayed in Cabo San Lucas six years ago, and that was pretty nice. It has a good atmosphere, especially if you rent a car and drive around the spur. There aren't a ton of caches there, however, maybe just 15-20 if you drive all around the loop. There are some fantastic hikes and views around Cabo.

Mexico's a complex country that deserves more than a snap one-liner. Safety-wise, it's all regional; pay attention and you'll find lots of places that are safe to explore. I've wandered around the back alleys, jungles, and mountaintops of Mexico and had a fantastic time, with my spidey senses consistently reading zero for danger. Heck, at one of those I even bumped into some locals with machetes in the middle of nowhere, and all that happened was that we had a nice chat.

However, you'd never catch me at an all-inclusive resort - the idea of lukewarm buffet food kind of scares me, and the caches hidden around resorts don't seem to last all that long - they seem to all be vacation caches with a local supposedly looking after them.

And since the OP asked for a place with "lots of caches", I'd have to say, try somewhere other than south of the USA. They're just too thin on the ground in Mexico and beyond.

And don't even ask me about Argentina. Three weeks of effort and all I found was a virtual and an archived nano...

I planned a vacation here in cal for my daughter and myself in gold country. Seemed perfect for geocaching. We use the droid as our gps. We get there and there is no 3G internet service anywhere! Kind of made it difficult but I guess fun at the same time. We had to download the caches at our motel with the wifi and then go find them. Still great fun but a fail on a geocaching vacation. I would check to see if the place has internet service if you use a phone like I do.

-WarNinjas

Yuma Az tons of caches

Yes it does. I have picked up some over the years by spending some time in the winter there. Plus I noticed a couple of power trails I will do with my bicycle.

I was wondering about that section to the north east a little that appears on the topo to have no roads whether it would be good for bicycle or do you need an atv type.

I was disappointed to see there aren't that many caches in the Caribbean. Can anyone recommend somewhere that will be warm in November with nice (ideally all inclusive) resorts) and lots of caches? Also I wonder about the safety of going of off-resort in some countries? Anyone done this?

I'd say fly to Vegas plenty of caches on the ET Highway nice and hot and a very private resort in Rachael Nevada top secret though don't tell anyone.

SS

We stayed in Cabo San Lucas six years ago, and that was pretty nice. It has a good atmosphere, especially if you rent a car and drive around the spur. There aren't a ton of caches there, however, maybe just 15-20 if you drive all around the loop. There are some fantastic hikes and views around Cabo.

Cabo was very nice when I visited in March. Very nice part of Mexico, I much preferred it to Puerto Vallarta. We stayed up the coast in La Ventanna, the place had two cache (one at a very nice lighthouse which I happened to be FTF on). There are a few "vacation" caches, but they seem to be well maintained.

Mexico's a complex country that deserves more than a snap one-liner. Safety-wise, it's all regional; pay attention and you'll find lots of places that are safe to explore. I've wandered around the back alleys, jungles, and mountaintops of Mexico and had a fantastic time, with my spidey senses consistently reading zero for danger. Heck, at one of those I even bumped into some locals with machetes in the middle of nowhere, and all that happened was that we had a nice chat.

However, you'd never catch me at an all-inclusive resort - the idea of lukewarm buffet food kind of scares me, and the caches hidden around resorts don't seem to last all that long - they seem to all be vacation caches with a local supposedly looking after them.

And since the OP asked for a place with "lots of caches", I'd have to say, try somewhere other than south of the USA. They're just too thin on the ground in Mexico and beyond.

And don't even ask me about Argentina. Three weeks of effort and all I found was a virtual and an archived nano...

I spent a week in Mexico City (actually in Texcoco) on business and liked it a lot. That was before geocaching though but I did get to visit the pyramids (which were actually quite close to where I was working). I also spent a week at the Club Med in Cancun (about 20 years ago) and have been seriously considering a future vacation in Riveria Maya. My father owned property in Mulaje (on the gulf coast) and invited me many times to come down and stay but I never did before he sold it.

I've never been to a Caribbean Island but if I did I'd be happy just finding a cache or two rather than a bunch. I'd be in the Caribbean where I'm there are lots of other things to do besides geocaching.

Yuma Az tons of caches

Yes it does. I have picked up some over the years by spending some time in the winter there. Plus I noticed a couple of power trails I will do with my bicycle.

I was wondering about that section to the north east a little that appears on the topo to have no roads whether it would be good for bicycle or do you need an atv type.

We took the 94 pathfinder it's 4x4 and in some places you'll need either a 4x4 or an atv there were a couple of spots that we had stopped in soft sand that I had to use 4wheel drive to get out

Camino Diablo has a power trail 38 miles long it's a dirt and sandy road,

pole line dancing just to the north of there is a little easier and shorter.

We were there in Dec, last year and did a little over 400 caches,

We could have done more,but we also just like exploring the cesert

I was disappointed to see there aren't that many caches in the Caribbean. Can anyone recommend somewhere that will be warm in November with nice (ideally all inclusive) resorts) and lots of caches? Also I wonder about the safety of going of off-resort in some countries? Anyone done this?

I'd say fly to Vegas plenty of caches on the ET Highway nice and hot and a very private resort in Rachael Nevada top secret though don't tell anyone.

SS

We did the ET trail last Oct. and the weather was nice and in the 70s

I was down in Cabos with some friends a couple of years ago, too. Actually stayed in San Jose del Cabos (much less touristy). We rented a car (Louie is a very brave driver!) and so were able to get around quite a bit. I'll have to see if I found any of the caches that you did. I remember one cache, way on top of the hill overlooking Cabos san Lucas where you could see for miles and miles and miles. I've got some pictures in my gallery. This one was my favorite down there Cabo Vinny's Cache

Edited by knowschad

San Diego should be warm in November and there are tons of caches there. No worries about all-inclusive resorts, it is safe to roam around most places.

Hawaii would be another good place to go.

Since Australia is in the Southern Hemisphere the seasons are reversed from us in the Northern Hemisphere. November should be pretty warm 'down under' and there are lots of good caches there...

I was down in Cabos with some friends a couple of years ago, too. Actually stayed in San Jose del Cabos (much less touristy). We rented a car (Louie is a very brave driver!) and so were able to get around quite a bit. I'll have to see if I found any of the caches that you did. I remember one cache, way on top of the hill overlooking Cabos san Lucas where you could see for miles and miles and miles. I've got some pictures in my gallery. This one was my favorite down there Cabo Vinny's Cache

We only did four caches while down there, and two of them are now archived. There are a some newer caches in Cabo now, including Cabo Vinny's Cache. It doesn't look like we did any of the same caches as you. The really great one that we did was up at the top of the hill near Lover's Beach: Cabo Coffee Cache Cache. *sigh* It was archived a year after I found it. I was upset at the time, because the container was falling apart (a really rusted coffee can), and we went to a store afterwards and bought some containers just because. If I had known about the cache earlier, I would have replaced it. Anyways, one of the best finds ever, drop dead gorgeous views. I need to upload my pics to my log, I see.

The other really cool cache we did was north of Cabo, where we used ATVs to get to it. Great experience. I do have the pictures uploaded to that one: My JT's Baja Cache #3 log.

San Diego should be warm in November and there are tons of caches there. No worries about all-inclusive resorts, it is safe to roam around most places.

Since Australia is in the Southern Hemisphere the seasons are reversed from us in the Northern Hemisphere. November should be pretty warm 'down under' and there are lots of good caches there...

I second the vote for Australia, even though it's an expensive ticket. The east coast of Australia is very tropical, especially in the rainforest up NE in Queensland. Some of the best beaches I've ever seen are north along the coast above Sydney. We spent a couple weeks slowly enjoying the beaches between Sydney and Cape Tribulation, much longer than we had anticipated, because it was pure paradise. Nothing beats Australia, but then I think I'm very biased. :anicute:

Here's a picture that I've already posted somewhere around these forums, but it begs to be repeated. It's from Emmagen Creek:

5334950380_54ec3189a2_b.jpg

Emmagen Beach Panorama by Ambrosia_apples, on Flickr

Here's another beach picture, from Easterly Extreme:

4330337626_c9afcf101a.jpg

Little Wategos Beach by Ambrosia_apples, on Flickr

I'm so behind on uploading my pictures from that trip. :anibad::rolleyes:

Yup I'd vote for Hawai'i :grin: .

On O'ahu, the weather during the day is consistently in the upper 80s. The hikes with caches (all but one) are day hikes and you don't have to worry about snakes, bears, ticks, poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac, if fact the outdoors are pretty tame around here.

I will add my hometown of Ojai and Ventura into the mix.

I grew up in Ojai and it is indeed a special place. But for sun and warmth in November, even Ojai might find it hard to compete with this:

f1293054-d40c-4f14-ac76-1a5e8bea1132.jpg

There are only two caches on the island but it seems like a natural place for a dreadp1rate. Although for caching you would fare better in Dominca (which might be closer to where the local pirates sailed). Or you could lounge around with Chacamool:.

7581e3fb-592b-41da-bf22-f349322165bc.jpg

During the last days of the photo banners on this site, there was a picture of a guy at a virtual cache in Tulum - every time I looked at it I wanted to go back. So many places . .

Edited by geodarts

For a tropical vacation, I'd recommend Jamaica. There aren't actually a lot of caches, but there are a few. The Sandals/Beaches all-inclusive resorts are excellent.

Either Montego Bay or Negril would be the most cache-dense areas, with about 4 each. Sandals will shuttle you between their resorts for a day visit, so you could do both areas.

For a tropical vacation, I'd recommend Jamaica. There aren't actually a lot of caches, but there are a few. The Sandals/Beaches all-inclusive resorts are excellent.

Either Montego Bay or Negril would be the most cache-dense areas, with about 4 each. Sandals will shuttle you between their resorts for a day visit, so you could do both areas.

Lot's of people of people suggesting the Caribbean but I would suggest Costa Rica. It's easy to get to by plane and although there aren't a gazillion geocaches to be found the scenery is pretty spectacular in may places (once you get out of San Jose), the people are very friendly, and there are several geocaches located near active volcanos. One of the recent Geocaches of the Month featured a cache in Manuel Antonio National park in Costa Rica.

Help needed in Germaany. I will be in Colonge on Monday, August 15. I know it is short notice but my GPS has lost my information and I amm not finding any caches. I reaally want to fidnd some while I am on a river cruise. I have itermitent web service but if someone sees this and could help I would appreciate it. I am on The River Harmony.

Help needed in Germaany. I will be in Colonge on Monday, August 15. I know it is short notice but my GPS has lost my information and I amm not finding any caches. I reaally want to fidnd some while I am on a river cruise. I have itermitent web service but if someone sees this and could help I would appreciate it. I am on The River Harmony.

I think this needs to be in another thread for people to see it and help you.

For someone who is not looking for exotic or tropical, I would recommend Desert Hot Springs or Palm Springs area in California for a fantastic bunch of desert-type caches, particularly those by the Wheeler Dealers, but lots of other good CO's too. Staying in DHS can be fun in winter, as the hotels have mineral pools of different temperatures to enjoy in the evenings and it is not really expensive. Desert caches can be very different from urban or other types of caches. What you set out there will not get destroyed by rains, most likely, or muggled. There is just too much desert and nothing really out there to have muggles hanging around. A favorite cache we found was, "What came first, the chicken or the Egg?", GC25VJA. In Palm Springs, we got to see Elvis' and Liberace's old California homes and have our picture taken with Lucille Ball while caching--yes. I look forward to another caching trip there.