Any way to transfer maps.google.com maps to Garmin?

Hi all,

Is there any way or tools available to make maps for my Oregon 450 using maps from maps.google.com? For instance, the maps at http://maps.google.com/maps?q=shanghai,+china&hl=en&ll=31.229023,121.515398&spn=0.045504,0.068064&sll=37.788081,-66.181641&sspn=42.624588,69.697266&vpsrc=6&z=14 aren't half bad, and it sure would be nice to have those on my GPS when in Shanghai. I realize that surely any such methods would create maps which weren't routable, but that's not a concern of mine at the moment.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

CLF.

I thought it is possible. Once you have a map (from google or from anywhere) displayed on your monitor, if the map is a JPEG file, great! Just save it. Otherwise copy and paste and save the map to a JPEG format (pic). Refer to this garmin guide for detail:

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/cache/offonce/us/onthetrail/custommaps#fragment-2

You do need the free "Google Earth" application downloaded and installed, by the way.

You have an additional problem when it comes to maps for China. Google's street maps are offset by a few hundred meters. If you do not have a made-for-china gprs, you will find that the location reported by the gps does not agree with the map's location. If you want to see the extent of the offset, compare Google's street map to its satellite map. The satellite maps have no offset.

Hi all,

Is there any way or tools available to make maps for my Oregon 450 using maps from maps.google.com? For instance, the maps at http://maps.google.com/maps?q=shanghai,+china&hl=en&ll=31.229023,121.515398&spn=0.045504,0.068064&sll=37.788081,-66.181641&sspn=42.624588,69.697266&vpsrc=6&z=14 aren't half bad, and it sure would be nice to have those on my GPS when in Shanghai. I realize that surely any such methods would create maps which weren't routable, but that's not a concern of mine at the moment.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

CLF.

The satellite maps have no offset.

What makes you say that? It could just as well be the other way around. Or, even much more likely: both have an offset, in an unknown direction and by an unknown amount.

Take for example the geocache GCA028. Google map will put GZ in the water. Reading the logs, it is clear that GZ is on the dam, near the boat landing, as shown on the satellite map and on my North American gpsr.

Take for example the geocache GCA028. Google map will put GZ in the water. Reading the logs, it is clear that GZ is on the dam, near the boat landing, as shown on the satellite map and on my North American gpsr.

Or maybe the CO used the Google aerial view to get the coordinates. I don't know for sure, do you?

You have an additional problem when it comes to maps for China. Google's street maps are offset by a few hundred meters. If you do not have a made-for-china gprs, you will find that the location reported by the gps does not agree with the map's location. If you want to see the extent of the offset, compare Google's street map to its satellite map. The satellite maps have no offset.

There are people that have fixed the error..... I go to China quite a bit.