Puzzle Cache...

RikW

Hello All!

I have a cache very local to me that has gone unsolved for over 3 months now and it got me thinking...

Given how a lot of people (myself included) take great pleasure in getting the FTF, what is the longest time between a cache being published and a cache being found?

3 months seems a long time to me but I suspect their are much more devious ones out there...

RikW

Wow, no FTF after a couple years? What's the point?

Why would you leave a puzzle virtually in-solvable?

Or is it lack of owner intervention to DO SOME MAINTENANCE on the puzzle to make it easier?

Why would you make a puzzle easier if you want it to be a really tough challenge?

There are plenty of easy caches about, so a few that are seriously hard give an extra dimension. Well done to cache owners who stick to their guns and keep such caches going, even when finds are few and far between. If you have a go and declare it impossible, then just ignore it.

When does a good Puzzle become a bad Puzzle. When nobody can solve it...

Caches are meant to be found...

Indeed!

I've seen far too many puzzle caches which can only be solved with help from the CO (or PAFfing a previous solver/finder)

It is not permissible to set a cache saying: 'Email me for the co-ords'

Unsolvable puzzles amount to exactly the same thing! :rolleyes:

Mark

Indeed!

I've seen far too many puzzle caches which can only be solved with help from the CO (or PAFfing a previous solver/finder)

It is not permissible to set a cache saying: 'Email me for the co-ords'

Unsolvable puzzles amount to exactly the same thing! :rolleyes:

Mark

Whilst I totally agree that setting puzzle caches could get out of hand where someone sets a puzzle that is so obtuse as to be almost impossible to solve however I think some searchers just expect every cache to be an easy win.

I really enjoy puzzle (mystery) caches and have set some myself that most people appear to have enjoyed solving. I was surprised to be contacted by other cachers from all over the country that must particularly set their filter to get notified of puzzle caches. They then e-mail their answers to me for confirmation with no real intention of looking for the cache as they clearly just enjoy working them out.

On the other hand I have been contacted by some searchers who have asked for a hint/clue (about either my own caches or ones that I have solved) and when I have challenged them about how far they have got it appears that they haven't put any real effort into working it out at all.

Also dont forget that puzzle caches can come in all forms ie codes, quizzes, mystery, bonus caches etc providing some great variety.

Just because it hasn't been solved yet doesn't mean it is unsolvable.

There are 100,000 caches in the UK. If it bothers you, just ignore the one or two very difficult ones.

Rgds, Andy

Just because it hasn't been solved yet doesn't mean it is unsolvable.

There are 100,000 caches in the UK. If it bothers you, just ignore the one or two very difficult ones.

Rgds, Andy

Who said it bothered me ?

I've just logged one of the seemingly "insoluble" puzzle caches (Enigma). The harder they are, the more satisfaction in solving them. This was certainly not a bad puzzle, and was probably one of my most memorable caches (the FTF was only the icing on the cake). An absolutely brilliant location too.

Now for the other "almost impossible" caches!

(by "Now", I mean some time in the next year or two...).

I've just logged one of the seemingly "insoluble" puzzle caches (Enigma). The harder they are, the more satisfaction in solving them. This was certainly not a bad puzzle, and was probably one of my most memorable caches (the FTF was only the icing on the cake). An absolutely brilliant location too.

Thanks for the pointer to this one. I thought I was going really well until 3 rotors became 4 and then the wheels really came off my effort!

I haven't given up hope though, there's still one passage of morse to listen to.

Congrats on your FTF.