Washington State's Top 10 Cache Challenge

TheScottFamilyFive

Hello everyone!

Needed to create a thread to discuss our new Washington State's Top 10 Cache Challenge. Here is the link to checkout what the challenge is all about:

Washington State's Top 10 Cache Challenge

I wanted to create a place to discuss and answer questions that may come up around this cache. I had a great time in Ireland working on the top 10 from over there. I hope that this challenge can create the same sort of excitement here in the Washington.

Here is the Q&A from the initial page, will continue to expand this as questions come up.

Q. Do previous finds count or do I have to take that into account when figuring out my top 10 list?

A. Previous finds are just fine. If you run the search and you have already found all or most of the caches, then good for you, just less caches you need to find before going after the final

Q. What if I own one (or more) of the top 10 caches, do those count?

A. Yes, those count. The other two Top 10 challenges disagree on this one, but I am going with, if you are a CO then they will count.

Q. What if one of the top 10 from my note that I have already found becomes archived or disabled?

A. No problem. You already found it, you are still good to go.

Q. What if one of the top 10 from my note that I have not found becomes archived or disabled?

A. You need to pick a replacement. Just rerun the search and take one from the new top 10 and amend your note to include the replacement.

Q. The top 10 will continue to change, what if it changes to something that I like better than what I originally posted.

A. You can post a new note at anytime with a new list of 10 and make that the 10 caches you need to find.

Q. There are questions you didn't answer here, and I still have questions. What is the answer to my question?

A. In the credits below, you will see links to two other top 10 challenge caches. Refer to those pages and if they answer your question, I will defer to the information there. There is also a forum that has discussion about the Ireland top 10.

Cheers,

The enter Scott Family

I am afraid we will have to pass on this challenge. We already have two of the top 10 but we are in our mid-eightys and i am recovering from a leg injury so some of the top 10 would be out of our reach. Looks like a well thought out challenge that many will already have most if not all to qualify for the final. A quick look at the final looks like it would also be out of our ability to navigate to. Thanks for having the challenge and good luck to those that will participate. Dick and Arlene.

Edited by W7WT

I am also wondering... All of these caches are in Western Washington/ SW Washington. Are there more Favorited caches in Eastern parts? It looks like a heck of a responsibility to maintain Challenge wise. But I applaud you for taking that responsibility! I have 1 cache from that list and DNF'd two.

I noticed GS has finally unleashed the "Tourist Friendly" attribute! Hooray!

I would go find it today, but it requires an expensive San Juan Ferry trip. Those islands are nice to hide caches on, but CO am sure knew the risk of putting this challenge up there. Those ferries are way more costly than say an Edmonds-Kingston or Mukilteo-Clinton one.

Edited by lamoracke

I would go find it today, but it requires an expensive San Juan Ferry trip. Those islands are nice to hide caches on, but CO am sure knew the risk of putting this challenge up there. Those ferries are way more costly than say an Edmonds-Kingston or Mukilteo-Clinton one.

No chance I'm trying for this one due to the very high cost and difficulty of getting there. Thanks anyway.

Some more details

Specific Cache Information

The Stop and Go,Go,Go Cache This is a moving cache and much of the time it is not even in Washington. This cache is not consistent with the spirit of this challenge. If this is in the top 10, you do NOT have to find it, use the next cache in the list instead.

Bloody Fingers, Dirty Diapers... If this cache is enabled and it is in the top 10 then you MUST find it to qualify. It is a favorite cache in the state of Washington and unless disabled, it is a valid cache, even if the snow / gates makes it impossible during parts of the year.

BUT... your The Washington State Island Hopping Challenge http://coord.info/GC2T4GY lists many of them as possible candidates to complete it :ph34r:

Mr CO

Do you know or can you provide information on any alternate forms of transportation on the island? It would be A LOT cheaper and A LOT easier (guaranteed boarding each ferry) to walk or bike a bicycle...

Is there bus service and if so, what bus number etc?

How about the feasibility of riding a mountain bike to the trailhead. Are bikes allowed up to the cache?

I -suppose- I could look these things but then I'd be doing the work not you hehe. But also, maybe you could add to the cache page, it would be helpful to us all and probably go aways to address some concerns...

So far, Fav Points aren't in PQ's, but the GC.com API does supply them.

As to transportation, yes a bicycle will get you anywhere you want on Orcas Island - it depends on you shape on how easy that will be. The route from the ferry to the TH isn't too bad, but it ain't flat either. I've biked it a few times, and driving it more. As with all the Islands you start up a hill from the dock. I believe you can also rent mopeds near the ferry dock if you want to save energy (your own, that is).

As to transportation, yes a bicycle will get you anywhere you want on Orcas Island - it depends on you shape on how easy that will be. The route from the ferry to the TH isn't too bad, but it ain't flat either. I've biked it a few times, and driving it more. As with all the Islands you start up a hill from the dock. I believe you can also rent mopeds near the ferry dock if you want to save energy (your own, that is).

Ooh, mopeds! Are they reasonably priced? Are reservations recommended or even possible? I think that would be a great way to see the island

Ooh, mopeds! Are they reasonably priced? Are reservations recommended or even possible? I think that would be a great way to see the island

Depends on your definition of 'reasonable'. Their website is Orcas Mopeds and it looks like it $25 first hour and $20 each additional.

Depends on your definition of 'reasonable'. Their website is Orcas Mopeds and it looks like it $25 first hour and $20 each additional.

Thanks for the info

In my book that would be very unreasonable for just getting to and from the trailhead and then letting it set for a long time while hiking to the cache; seems it would be much more cost effective to take a taxi, if there is one. Still, the moped might be a neat way to cache this or other islands, going to keep it in the back of my mind

BTW the Fun-Tech Scootcar's look like a blast!

So, if I look at the top 10 now, one of the caches is cuttently disabled. Say it becomes re-enabled just before I get to the final...am I hosed or can I 'lock in" the top 10 a few days before?

I'm heading off to the San Juan islands in 2 weeks, and only have limited caching days prior to that. So if that Aloha cache becomes enabled after next weekend, then I won't be able to secure it before I go...