New Geocacher

kdrckeverson

Hi. I'm a Boy Scout who found out about geocaching thanks to the new Geocaching merit badge, which I took at Summer Camp. I had a lot of fun hiking around camp looking for caches, and decided to continue geocaching at home. I don't own a GPS, so right now I can only find caches using Google Maps. I've only been able to find one cach that way. It seems that most of the caches around here are abandoned. <_<

Hi. I'm a Boy Scout who found out about geocaching thanks to the new Geocaching merit badge, which I took at Summer Camp. I had a lot of fun hiking around camp looking for caches, and decided to continue geocaching at home. I don't own a GPS, so right now I can only find caches using Google Maps. I've only been able to find one cach that way. It seems that most of the caches around here are abandoned. <_<

Welcome to Geocaching kdrckeverson!

Yes, you can find caches using Google maps especially urban ones.

Have a look at the Groundspeak store and Cool Cache Containers forum topic for some ideas of geocache containers which should help you in your hunt.

Stick to easier difficulty and small or larger containers to start with until you develop your Geosenses.

Seems like other cachers like your first hide. As for the question on your cache page, Premium Members get instant notification of new caches.

Let us know how you do or if you have more questions.

Enjoy your Geocaching Adventures!

mwellman from Alberta, Canada

How do you know that most caches there are abandoned if you've only found one cache? I suspect it's not that they're gone, but that Google Maps is leading you astray.

As Ambient Skater mentioned, the iPhone and BlackBerry have geocaching apps. Android does too.

Keep searching! You'll find some!

Hi and Welcome! I'm a Cubmaster for our local Cub Scout Pack and we all love to geocache when we hike :rolleyes: .

Personally, I use a BlackBerry with CacheSense $9.99/life (or Blackstar Navigation which is free) and our other parents use some Android and/or iPhone apps, many which are also at a very low cost or free. They all work about the same and are pretty darned accurate. My BB has been as accurate if not more than some of our parents dedicated GPSr devices....and they marvel at the fact we can get all the cache info on-the-fly :lol: .

Be sure to check out the new Geocaching Merit Badge and other geocaching offerings by the BSA. Scouts and Scouters even get a 1 month free premium Geocaching.com membership to check out.

Good luck and have fun!

I already have the Geocaching merit badge. If I had a smartphone, I'd definitely be using it. But for now I'm stuck with Google Maps. I thought a lot of caches were abandoned, but new people have found it so apparently I'm just not looking hard enough.

Do you have a birthday coming up soon? Can you mow lawns or something to get a bit of money?

If you can get to a Geocaching event and meet some people, someone might have an old GPS they'd sell real cheap or let you borrow.

There are a lot of good deals to be had in the GPS Garage Sale section of the forums.

Ask a lot of questions, there are people here who have a lot of good answers.

Edited to specify that I'm talking about GPSr's not smartphones. And fix a typo.

Edited by DoubleBent