Trapped in Amber Geocoin

ECplus3

My wife loves amber. It is probably her favourite gemstone. So of course I've always got my eye out for something amber-y whenever we go antiquing or hit the yard sales. Just before Christmas last year I was at an estate sale when I found a beautiful brooch with a piece of amber nearly an inch across as the centrepiece. In the amber was an inclusion of an insect wing. It was just the wing but it was perfectly preserved so that you could see every tiny line.

Of course, it went for way more than I could afford.

But it gave me the idea for a coin...

It has taken me a long time to find a mint that could produce this coin for me, but I have finally found one that I have confidence in to do the job. The production of this coin will take several steps and require no less than 6 moulds!

I'm not revealing the whole design yet, but here is what the top will look like:

dragonfly_art.jpg

amber_front_art.jpg

The coin will be 50mm in diameter and 5mm thick (8mm including the amber dome).

It will be available in Antique Bronze, Antique Nickel, Antique Copper, and Satin Gold. There may be some special editions as well.

The coin will be trackable and have a unique icon.

It should be available this Fall.

Edited by E&Cplus3

So... I guess my question is... what is being used as the resin?

The resin is actually a special clear epoxy with some colour added. The mint I chose does this all the time to make paperweights. They create the mould for the paperweight, half fill it with epoxy and place the dragonfly in it. Then they finish filling it and let it harden.

So... I guess my question is... what is being used as the resin?

The resin is actually a special clear epoxy with some colour added. The mint I chose does this all the time to make paperweights. They create the mould for the paperweight, half fill it with epoxy and place the dragonfly in it. Then they finish filling it and let it harden.

That's what I figured... awesome idea!

I love the concept and I love the design.

Perhaps you can follow this up with Meganeura - giant fossil dragonfly from the Carboniferous.

I will be purchasing one - add me to your mailing list. (I will put a "search" on ebay to be notified when its released - what will it be called?)

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Neat concept, can't wait to see it.

It kind of reminds me a bit of a geocoin that came out a few years ago, originating out of Europe. I can't remember the name of it, I have one version though. It had that "1/2" resin type stone in the middle of it and you could see the design underneath the stone (which was perfectly round and smooth). Maybe I should go to the pictionary thread and draw it :laughing:

tsun

It kind of reminds me a bit of a geocoin that came out a few years ago, originating out of Europe. I can't remember the name of it, I have one version though. It had that "1/2" resin type stone in the middle of it and you could see the design underneath the stone (which was perfectly round and smooth). Maybe I should go to the pictionary thread and draw it :laughing:

tsun

Are you thinking about the Geocaching Skill coins?

3088.gif

2029.gif2030.gif

2031.gif2032.gif

(Pictures borrowed from geocoincollection.com)

tsun

Are you thinking about the Geocaching Skill coins?

3088.gif

2029.gif2030.gif

2031.gif2032.gif

(Pictures borrowed from geocoincollection.com)

That's the one, thanks Stig :)

Hi everyone! Thanks for your patience with this design. I got discouraged a few months ago when I just couldn't make headway in explaining what I wanted to the new mint. They are not familiar with geocoins, but are very good at suspending things in acrylic, which is what I need. The language barrier is much greater at this mint than my regular one too.

Bringing this thread back has given me the kick I needed to try again.

I'm trying to simplify the design a bit without compromizing my idea. I'm also replacing the all-metal dragonfly with a cast body and transparent wings with a printed design. This should allow more detail and make it a bit more natural-looking.

I also have to explain edge molds and tracking numbers to them. *sigh*