Caches are being removed from parks!

hugadog

I recently went to a state park here in North Carolina to ask a ranger for permission to place a cache there. I began by asking him if he'd ever heard of geocaching, and even had some information for him to look at. I didn't need it, because he'd already heard of it. He said they weren't allowing geocaching in that park (Raven Rock) and had even removed a couple of them (also, one at Eno River and another in a different park) because people were digging holes to put them in. I know you aren't supposed to do that, and most of you do, too, but someone obviously doesn't. I'd like to know if anyone else has had this problem or anything like it, and if anyone has written to their park service about it. I haven't done a whole lot of geocaching, but I do enjoy it. I'd hate to see this really cool sport go down the drain because people aren't educated about it. The whole point is to enjoy the scenery, so why muss it???? At first, I was hoping that it was an isolated incident, because the guy I talked to was a little weird. I kept expecting him to swagger, say, "Howdy, partner", and tip his hat. Ugh. icon_frown.gif

[This message was edited by hugadog on April 20, 2002 at 11:56 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

This has been a topic for over a year ...

Hawkeye:

A couple of months ago, there was a similiar discussion and someone posted a link (I'm guessing it was you) to an 'Outdoors' web site that contained a post from some guy (Ed? perhaps) that really hated geocaching. He stated something like he was going to intentionally look for and destroy caches.

I was trying to find it this morning to use as an example of the regard others often have towards geocaching and how this type of opinion is what makes following a set of rules for caches so important. Since the number of registered Geocachers seems to have about tripled since then, I thought it was about time the most recent 2/3rds of us read the thoughts of others.

Do you know the thread I'm speaking of?

MajBach

You can't have everything,where would you put it?

1compass.gif

Due to the nature of Parks, and the desire to keep people from tearing up the terrain off the paths, what I've done is find a National Geodetic System Benchmark in a Park, and have that as the object of the GPS search. That way the "cache" is already stashed, as it were, and no one is tearing up the land, or digging holes. The challenge of finding these little survey markers is a lot of fun, and quite the challenge as they were usually placed well before GPS technology. The stated location can be +/- 150' or more. The best part is the Rangers can't complain because you've added nothing to what's already there.

to find out how to find these survey markers and log caches to boot, just use "NGS" as a keyword search for cache sites. Theres a number of cache sites that log these across the country, and they all have instructions on how to find them.

GeoNav

Life goes fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you might miss it. Cache ON!