Log My Dog tags

4phantoms

1. Buy dog (a sociable one).

2. Activate 'log my dog' trackable tag. (There should be a card/label with it telling you where to get activation code. Alternatively try here: Get code

3. Take photo of your dog smiling. Put photo on your dog's tag's home page.

4. Attach tag to dog.

5. Take your dog out and about to geocaching events.

6. Invite geocachers to log your dog.

MrsB :)

• Love 1

Ok. I have done all of the above except the photo which I will upload as soon as I get one worthy of his handsomeness. I have bee logging in "visited" when we go caching ... I thought that might be fun. This way Phantom's Travels are his travels. Do I understand correctly that others can check his tag and log him in as well??? And I could do that for other dogs?

Ok. I have done all of the above except the photo which I will upload as soon as I get one worthy of his handsomeness. I have bee logging in "visited" when we go caching ... I thought that might be fun. This way Phantom's Travels are his travels. Do I understand correctly that others can check his tag and log him in as well??? And I could do that for other dogs?

Yup! Anyone who sees the tracking number on the tag or anyone you give the tracking number to can log him as "discovered." In theory they could log him as "visiting" other caches, but I don't think anyone would do that.

I have a newbie question...I just recieved my log my dog tag and got it registered and all that jazz, but I was wondering if it would be bad etiquette to log a visit for him to caches we found pre tag? Or would I really have to bring him back to the caches we already found to be able to log as a visit with the tag?

I have a newbie question...I just recieved my log my dog tag and got it registered and all that jazz, but I was wondering if it would be bad etiquette to log a visit for him to caches we found pre tag? Or would I really have to bring him back to the caches we already found to be able to log as a visit with the tag?

Using it as a personal travel bug that you don't release into the wild? Yes you can. You basically are the attached traveler and you can back-log your travel adventures.

Just releasing it? No, the traveler didn't make the journey.

• Helpful 1

Using it as a personal travel bug that you don't release into the wild? Yes you can. You basically are the attached traveler and you can back-log your travel adventures.

Just releasing it? No, the traveler didn't make the journey.

Thanks!

I plan on releasing it into the wild eventually but for now it's just a personal :)

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, dmadrid1972 said:

So I bought this on a whim because I love the idea. My dog is very sociable and goes almost everywhere with me. Once I'm in a location do I activate the trackable so people can find her and turn it off when I leave? Exactly how does this work? Thank you for your feed back. 

You only activate it once. After that, geocachers who see it can log online that they met you/your dog. Be careful not to show the code in the photo!

• Helpful 2
8 hours ago, dmadrid1972 said:

So I bought this on a whim because I love the idea. My dog is very sociable and goes almost everywhere with me. Once I'm in a location do I activate the trackable so people can find her and turn it off when I leave? Exactly how does this work? Thank you for your feed back. 

2 hours ago, dmadrid1972 said:

Thank you. Is there a way for cachers to search for active log my dogs? I.e. can I search for other dogs in my area? 

Everything you might need to know about Trackables.  

Noticed you didn't activate it yet

Your dog won't be found in caches, right?   Feeding and potty breaks more maintenance than a CO wants for his cache.   :)

- She'll be Discovered by others, when you meet them on a trail or at an event.

Since yours (or any  dog) won't be in caches, there's really no way to search where they'd be at any given time.

Curious, what do you have planned for the penguin trackable you've held since April ?

28 minutes ago, dmadrid1972 said:

I know. I've been laid up a bit and moved. He hid in some boxes. I've found him and he's ready to start swimming again. The penguin will soon be back on the move.

Thanks for the tips on the log my dog.

Pretty much the only time someone can log your DOG TB is if you meet them at a geocache or an event, and point out to them that your dog has a TB on them.  It'll be fun to see your Dog TB get discover logs. IF it was me, I'd state on the TB's page that photos are welcome/encouraged. They can be so much fun!! That's entirely up to you, though.

Just don't post the photo of the tracking number anywhere or you might get inundated with discover logs from people who have never met your dog!

I hope this is a really fun activity for you and your dog. Have fun!