Android v2.0.4 Release Notes

Thanks ... It is certainly available now, and I have just updated mine.

Had only just started using it today, so hadn't really found any problems anyway!

Updates are always welcome though. :)

Edited by Montala

Got the update.

Unfortunately, it still takes 10 seconds to start (unless I turn off Wi-Fi and mobile data, then it starts in less than a second).

It still takes too long to load a GPX file. I have one on my SD card with about 70 caches. It loads in GeOrg in 5 seconds. The Groundspeak app took about 3 minutes. It takes 3 minutes to download the same 70-cache PQ from the site over 1Mb Wi-Fi.

Do people actually use this to download/load 1000-cache GPX files or PQs? It must take all day. :blink:

The value this app provides is still too far below its cost.

Edited by JJnTJ

Hi Groundspeak

I'm deeply disappointed about this App for Android. As a premium member I pay every year for this great Site and the possibility to have some more options than basic user. I also payed for this app for my new Samsung Galaxy S2. But sorry, this App is not worth its money.

- Long time to start

- No Localization

- No possibility to handle Trackables

- A lot of minor bugs or bad implementations (only GC Code instead name, search dont' work in any case...)

- slow update frequenzy (as also for the WebSite here are about 100 customer wishes in the feedback section which will implemented in "future releases" or are only planned for weeks an months)

I thought that was the Original, a MUST HAVE for a geacacher. But then I saw c:geo (for free!!!) Take a big look at it, you can learn from this App!

Hope to see soon a next update for the android app!

Greetings from switzerland

Hi Groundspeak

I'm deeply disappointed about this App for Android. As a premium member I pay every year for this great Site and the possibility to have some more options than basic user. I also payed for this app for my new Samsung Galaxy S2. But sorry, this App is not worth its money.

- Long time to start

- No Localization

- No possibility to handle Trackables

- A lot of minor bugs or bad implementations (only GC Code instead name, search dont' work in any case...)

- slow update frequenzy (as also for the WebSite here are about 100 customer wishes in the feedback section which will implemented in "future releases" or are only planned for weeks an months)

I thought that was the Original, a MUST HAVE for a geacacher. But then I saw c:geo (for free!!!) Take a big look at it, you can learn from this App!

Hope to see soon a next update for the android app!

+1

he is so right, the most expensive apli ever bought on my Android and it's really not that good, c:geo is free, faster and has more options.

Can we have some serious work on this apli please

Greetings from France

+1

It's a great looking app, but unusable in the field. With poor GPRS signal, it takes minutes to load, and then minutes more to read a description. Loading the latest logs takes even longer. My caching buddy uses a blackberry with geocachenavigator, and when I'm with him, I don't get a chance to find any of the caches, I just sit, watching my phone's battery slowly drop away, making sure the screen doesn't turn off, as when it does, it takes even longer.

As I type this I'm downloading a PQ. Every 30 caches, I have to touch the phone screen to keep the screen on, so I can only download whilst the phone is leant against my monitor and I'm working long enough to keep tapping the screen when it goes to half brightness.

Please please please sort it out. I don't care about how the app looks, or what fancy features it has, just make it work!

+1

It's a great looking app, but unusable in the field. With poor GPRS signal, it takes minutes to load, and then minutes more to read a description. Loading the latest logs takes even longer. My caching buddy uses a blackberry with geocachenavigator, and when I'm with him, I don't get a chance to find any of the caches, I just sit, watching my phone's battery slowly drop away, making sure the screen doesn't turn off, as when it does, it takes even longer.

As I type this I'm downloading a PQ. Every 30 caches, I have to touch the phone screen to keep the screen on, so I can only download whilst the phone is leant against my monitor and I'm working long enough to keep tapping the screen when it goes to half brightness.

Please please please sort it out. I don't care about how the app looks, or what fancy features it has, just make it work!

I had to laugh, because ALL of this describes my situation exactly! Well, replace "geocachenavigator" with "old mapless GPS".

+100

I'm very disappointed as well. After weeks of waiting for a solution for the login problem this is still not working on my Samsung Galaxy S2.

Please can you fix this urgently !?! I was not able to use this software since I bought it end of June this year because of this issue.

PS : I have a premium account membership but you can't see it here - I cannot use my normal username "Numéro" to post here in the forums because there is a bug to login to the forums for accounts holding special characters like "é".

Regards,

Numéro

Belgium

Edited by NumeroForumUser

still loads slow

pocket queries take FOREVER AND FOREVER AND FOREVER.

if you have a large query.. hit the button before you go to sleep. it's that slow.

the very first android app was slow on pocket query downloads... people complained and they quickly changed it and it was very quick. much like geobeagle import.

my guess is they got tired of all the c:geo users and implemented some things to combat it's use. only a guess.

about the same time they changed it where only one person could log in at a time. (that they have fixed)

my suggestion is to go to the feedback sight and find a post for your probmem (they must all be there) and spend your votes on it. it does work and they do listen.

except for the slow opening and horrendous pocket query downloads, it works great on my Droid X.

Well, before I go and downlaod the latest release to the Android app, I will try just one last time to see if there is a solution to what I bought this app for in the first place.

I have a HTC Incredible running Adroid 2.2 software. I'm running 2.0.3 of the geocaching app. I do not want to have to upgrade the Andoid software if at all possible.

When I open the app and select find nearby caches it still shows my finds. If I then click on menu/settings....It shows that it is hiding my finds. WHY??????? then are my finds not being hidden. I dont want to have to scroll through several pages to find a cache that does not have the found checkmark next to it.

I've mentioned this issue for well over 2 months now, and have yet to get ANY response back from GS. Like I mentioned in a post a month or so back, If we as consumers were to go to an auto dealer and buy a NEW car, and took it home to find that one of its main featured didnt work, would we just accept it and move on? I think NOT. But GS is failing to offer any sort of support for issues related to a sofware that they are making money from.

Dont even get me started on PQ downloads. A 900 cache PQ will take an hour to download.

Edited by Berta, Nick and Zoey

The slow launch and PQ load are tops on the list for fixing, so we will have those issues corrected shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Berta, Nick, and Zoey: I have not heard of anyone else encountering the issue with finds appearing in the nearby cache search when they are set to not display. Would it be alright if I spoofed your login on an Android app and tried a repro? Also, have you tried clearing out your app data and then relogging in to see if that corrects things?

Had my first chance to find a cache with the new update today, well actually reverted back to the normal gps to make the find. The load was as usual slow but what got my head scratching was the compass setting. The compass kept pointing me in the opposite direction from the cache. I had an accuracy of 10 feet and it kept doing this for twenty minutes until I stuck my phone in my pocket and went back to the car to grab the ole Garmin.

Mount10Bike,

Since you were kind enough to reply to my issue, I'm game for whatever you want to try. I went in and clear out all of the app data, lelaunched the app, made sure that the menu/setting/hide finds was checked but the found caches still show up.

As far as you asking if you can spoof my login? I will email you want you need to do that.

Thanks

Nick

I've got a Casio GZ Commando running the v2.0.4. I'm also very new to using smartphone apps, so I may be missing something as I struggle through trying to figure this out. The app navigated me pretty close to a cache in good enough agreement with a GPSMap 76 CSx alongside. However, when I try to post a Field Note, I can select the note type, and then any other touch of the screen brings up the virtual keyboard. I can't seem to get into the "Edit Note" field to enter text, or pretty much anything else. Everything just brings up the keyboard. I have to use the phone's Back button a few times to get back to the cache list. Any ideas?

I've got a Casio GZ Commando running the v2.0.4. I'm also very new to using smartphone apps, so I may be missing something as I struggle through trying to figure this out. The app navigated me pretty close to a cache in good enough agreement with a GPSMap 76 CSx alongside. However, when I try to post a Field Note, I can select the note type, and then any other touch of the screen brings up the virtual keyboard. I can't seem to get into the "Edit Note" field to enter text, or pretty much anything else. Everything just brings up the keyboard. I have to use the phone's Back button a few times to get back to the cache list. Any ideas?

When your keyboard pops up, do you try to type? I'm on HTC Evo, and when I touch "Edit Message" the keyboard comes up, I type my note and then touch "OK". I apologize if this isn't what you are seeking.

When your keyboard pops up, do you try to type? I'm on HTC Evo, and when I touch "Edit Message" the keyboard comes up, I type my note and then touch "OK". I apologize if this isn't what you are seeking.

Thanks, but that's what's going on, except that the message page doesn't pop up, none of the txt is saved (or has anywhere to be saved), and selecting any icon (attach photo, save, send etc) brings up the keypad and nothing else.

So it has been requested for a long time but I will ask again. WHEN will you make it so we can log/drop trackables as part of the log? We can do it on the site and I have been told by developers it isn't that hard to do. So why when it is the number one requested item about the andriod app you haven't made this happen?

So it has been requested for a long time but I will ask again. WHEN will you make it so we can log/drop trackables as part of the log? We can do it on the site and I have been told by developers it isn't that hard to do. So why when it is the number one requested item about the andriod app you haven't made this happen?

Not only trackables, but would also like to manage favorite points too. I know it can be done (don't want to get into that argument here), so why not incorporate it into the official app?

Well, before I go and downlaod the latest release to the Android app, I will try just one last time to see if there is a solution to what I bought this app for in the first place.

I have a HTC Incredible running Adroid 2.2 software. I'm running 2.0.3 of the geocaching app. I do not want to have to upgrade the Andoid software if at all possible.

When I open the app and select find nearby caches it still shows my finds. If I then click on menu/settings....It shows that it is hiding my finds. WHY??????? then are my finds not being hidden. I dont want to have to scroll through several pages to find a cache that does not have the found checkmark next to it.

Have you tried clearing the cache of the application (menu/settings/applications/Geocaching/clear cache)? While I am not having that exact issue, clearing the cache seems to help with some issues. Try that and see what happens. I am running 2.0.4 of the app but have never used the "hide my finds" feature as I usually already know what cache I'm after and search by code. But I will try that feature and report any issues. I may not give an accurate result since my Inc is rooted and running a custom rom.

I guess its time to try 2.0.4. I did the cache clearing that you mentioned. It didnt change anything. After I cleared the cache and the app data and told it to find nearby caches, it took at least 45 seconds for it to return the list that still shows my finds. Oh well.

Correct on the 45 seconds. Since you cleared all the app's stored data, it had to go out and "refind" all the caches around you. Since I never used the "hide my finds" feature, I don't know if mine was working or not with 2.0.3. I hope 2.0.4 fixes your issue.

I guess its time to try 2.0.4. I did the cache clearing that you mentioned. It didnt change anything. After I cleared the cache and the app data and told it to find nearby caches, it took at least 45 seconds for it to return the list that still shows my finds. Oh well.

Did you not receive the email I sent to you through the site? We have confirmed that your username is causing this issue and the developers are investigating a fix.

Hi Jon,

I didnt see the email but thanks. Wow, Im special. Or is it the dog "Zoey" Maybe the site doesnt allow dogs to carry phones. Anyway, thanks for the update. I did upgrade to 2.0.4 with no success but that would stand to reason if the dev's are pinpointing the problem.

It's an issue with the comma in your username and has been identified to be at the API level (meaning it is not the Android app itself that is the issue, but the back end).

Interesting!! Do you think there is a quick fix for this? Or should I perhaps request that I change my user name to remove the comma?

For a quick fix, you could just change your username to remove the comma. The real fix will come when the Android app moves over to the latest version of the API, which will likely not happen with the upcoming release but shortly thereafter.

Yep, I have this same problem. The keyboard comes up but nothing appears in a log. I saw the other person had a comma in their name. I wonder if the same problem occurs with an underscore as in my name Z_Malloc ?

Thanks, but that's what's going on, except that the message page doesn't pop up, none of the txt is saved (or has anywhere to be saved), and selecting any icon (attach photo, save, send etc) brings up the keypad and nothing else.

The app's internal compass widget is very flaky after installing the 2.04 update.

Sometimes it will be stable, giving good data and then flip out and start saying the accuracy is .46 miles and I have 2 miles to go, when in reality I am 50 feet away from destination and the GPS is reporting 7 foot accuracy. When it flips out I can switch to either Radar or the compass in Locus and get the correct reasonable, stable numbers. I am sure the app's internal compass is now seriously broken.