Making a series of caches

RoandJoe

We want to do a series of caches "The Alphabet of Long Island" highlighting all haunted/interesting/well known areas of Long Island. Ideally we would like them to all be published around the same time, but to me this seems a little far fetched. I'm pretty sure it will take about 3 weeks to place all 26 caches at the designated areas. I'd like some opinions on whether we should place each cache asking for them to be published on a certain day, or should we just ask for them to be published after they are reviewed on different days in the span of a few weeks. I searched the forums for some answers but didn't come up with much. Also, I thought about the overwhelming amount of e-mail notifications members would get seeing that 26 caches were published on a particular day--seems a bit crazy to me. Hope this makes sense. Would love some feedback!

It's not uncommon. One way to approach this is to place the caches as you have time. Write up the listings as you go but do not activate them yet.

When you get ready to have them published, send your reviewer an email explaining what you are doing and be sure to leave a reviewer's note on the caches also explaining.

For cache series the length of time of initial review is extended to 10 days so understand that it will take longer to get them published once you activate them.

If you have any questions about the process, your reviewer would be happy to assist you.

You could probably request that your reviewer not release any until they are all reviewed. It seems a reasonable request.

I would email him/her and discuss it in advance.

As far as SHOULD you do it, it does not seem to me to make any difference once way or another unless they are all placed near each other (ie a power trail).

Well Long Island isn't particularly big, I don't think these caches could all be done in one day so there is no use in making them a multi. They are all over the island including some near famous landmarks here. I was going to make them all individual traditional caches so cachers can do them at their leisure. Also, my reasoning behind getting them done before actually having them published is to secure the designated areas. Thanks!

Have a word with your reviewer.

It may be easier for them to review in small batches, and then publish them on the same day, or on batches.

IF you go with the publish in small batches, it may be worth making a note in the listing that it is a series, then the FTF hounds can go after each as it's published, and those that want to do the series as a whole will wait until most/all have been published.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Also, my reasoning behind getting them done before actually having them published is to secure the designated areas. Thanks!

In this case shoot your reviewer an email ahead of time, but go ahead and activate the listings as you write them up. I believe active listings will reserve the spot while non-activated ones do not show up in the reviewers' queues and so would not be reserved.

Also, my reasoning behind getting them done before actually having them published is to secure the designated areas. Thanks!

In this case shoot your reviewer an email ahead of time, but go ahead and activate the listings as you write them up. I believe active listings will reserve the spot while non-activated ones do not show up in the reviewers' queues and so would not be reserved.

Non activated are available to reviewers. But don't show up in their review que, but are there for proximity issues.

Non activated are available to reviewers. But don't show up in their review que, but are there for proximity issues.

Good thing to know. In that case ignore my last post and go with my first recommendation. :D

We had a similar series released recently - 20 themed caches plus two "mystery" caches. You need to find a code in each of the 20 and use the codes to find the two mystery caches. All were released within minutes of each other. The series is very popular and some people even took the day off from work to attempt all of the caches the day they were released.

Early communication with your reviewer is a must. Our local reviewer will check coordinates ahead of time - we submit an active cache listing with a note saying "for coordinate check only" and the reviewer deactivates it after checking the coordinates. Then the CO can work on the cache description as much as desired. I assume all reviewers would do something similar.

I'd say just save all the info and submit them in one day however. The problem with that is that you may get watered down with all those caches that your caches may not be as energetic and interesting as you hope to make them. It's kind of like logging all your find caches on a trip at one time. Your not meaning to short change but you are nonetheless. At least take breaks in between a few.

Submitting a Cache Listing

6. Placing a large number of geocaches to be published on the same date requires advance planning. Submit all of the cache pages at least ten days in advance of the release date. Leave a Note to Reviewer on the cache pages requesting that the caches be published on the date specified. Reviewers will strive to accommodate reasonable requests.

Caches placed in connection with an event must be left in place after the event. See "Geocache Permanence" above.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=307#submit

Great advice here - this topic wins my vote for most helpful thread of the week. Thank you to everyone who's posted, especially to Bear & Ragged for your polite and accurate correction about a small detail.

I've done these requests every way imaginable -- large series of 100 or more caches all at once, small batches published as and when the owner had time to hide parts of the series, etc. My favorite is releasing one cache per day, but all at different times to keep the FTF hunters guessing. In my area, the most common request is "hold them all until the entire series is ready." This is no problem, as the reviewers have developed ways to keep track of everything.

The one thing I think that doesn't get much mention, and is very important, is that the caches should be physically in place before submitting the listing for review.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=307

6. Submitting a Cache Listing

1. Placing a large number of geocaches to be published on the same date requires advance planning. Submit all of the cache pages at least ten days in advance of the release date. Leave a Note to Reviewer on the cache pages requesting that the caches be published on the date specified. Reviewers will strive to accommodate reasonable requests.

Caches placed in connection with an event must be left in place after the event. See "Geocache Permanence" above.

2. Geocache must be in place before you enable the listing. Your cache should be in place and ready to hunt at the time your cache page is enabled online. If the cache is not ready, either disable your cache page so that it won't be listed in the review queue or post a "Note to Reviewer" explaining special circumstances such as awaiting permission from a land manager.

3. Communicate with your reviewer. If you believe that special circumstances may affect whether or not your cache is published, add a private "Note to Reviewer." For example, an explanation such as, "The train tracks running through this park have been converted to a rails-to-trails path," would address reviewer concerns regarding a placement near railroad tracks.