What are the differences between Mapsource and Basecamp?

I don't understand why Garmin doesn't provide a single software solution for mapping and communicating with its hardware. What can Basecamp do that Mapsource can't and vice versa?

Related: I have Mapsource from an old Garmin Mobile 10 GPS that I use with other maps and of course I have Basecamp too. In the near future I may buy an Oregon or Montana. Will I need Mapsource at all? Or can I do everything with Basecamp only?

MapIstall seems integrated enough to me. You go through a menu link to access the program.

Been a while since i used basecamp. Ever since i got mapsource its what i've been using. It seems a bit easier to use for managing your maps.

I do not post much here but read everyone elses opinion but on this one I have to speak up. I have tried to use Basecamp as compared to mapsource and Basecamp is NOT user friendly. Mapsource seems to be very intuitive as compared to Basecamp.

MapIstall seems integrated enough to me. You go through a menu link to access the program.

Been a while since i used basecamp. Ever since i got mapsource its what i've been using. It seems a bit easier to use for managing your maps.

I do not post much here but read everyone elses opinion but on this one I have to speak up. I have tried to use Basecamp as compared to mapsource and Basecamp is NOT user friendly. Mapsource seems to be very intuitive as compared to Basecamp.

Maybe i wasn't clear here.

Mapsource > Basecamp

Another consideration: Basecamp requires Microsoft .Net framework 3.5 SP1, about a bloated 220 MB. Basecamp adds another 100 megs (if I remember right). Close to half a gig when you're done. If you're running XP on your older laptop, .net framework WILL lengthen boot time, and the whole smash might take up a huge chunk of what available space is left on your hard drive. Mapsource does the same with far less computer resources.

My 2 cents.

MapSource allows naming of a Map set whereas BaseCamp/MapInstall does NOT. I assume MapInstall will Auto Name a map set which takes the first (alphabetic order) map segments and concatenates their names to create a map set name . . . ugly!

As best I understand, MapSource has been discontinued by Garmin. So eventually Garmin will create a map family that won't work with older versions.

Long live MapSource!!!