Underwater / Scuba / Diving Cache

A friend and I want to set-up an underwater cache which requires the use of scuba to get to it.

We have a few locations in mind - but the problem is the detail of the cache.

The following ideas come to mind - and I would appreciate some help in untangling the pros/cons of the various options. (Any other suggestions/modifications would be very welcome).

I want to avoid placing a waterproof logbook underwater because I think the maintenance issues could be too high and I don't want the cache to be offline because it is unfair for people who go to the effort of visiting - So the options are a type of multi-cache or perhaps a Puzzle-type cache.

1. Place a metal plate underwater (coordinates for the cache are published on Groundspeak) - the metal plate would then have "Go to" coordinates leading the cacher to a container on the surface. (Multicache)?

2. Place a metal plate underwater (coordinates for the cache are published) - the metal plate would then have some numbers/letter A=5, B=6 etc etc - so the cacher can then fill in the gaps for the coordinates of a cache on the surface. (Puzzle cache - if we include some really simple maths..... A+B= c)

3. Place a metal plate underwater (coordinates for the cache are published) - the metal plate has a key word or number which the cacher then sends to the owner before logging the cache. (This is a sort of earthcache approach - but I don't know what type of cache this would end up being?)

4. Place a container and waterproof logbook underwater and hope it lasts! (Traditional cache) (I want to avoid this if possible).

I would appreciate your thoughts.

pbowenwalker

If you make an underwater cache you will only have a few takers, those who suba, thats ok, that is the intent. If you make it anything other than a simple traditional almost no one will bother to do it. Also your metal plate may become unreadable due to marine growth. I would suggest you use a divers slate as a log, wouldn't even need a seperate container. Tell the cachers on the cache page what to expect. Keep it simple and good luck with your cache.

If you make an underwater cache you will only have a few takers, those who suba, thats ok, that is the intent. If you make it anything other than a simple traditional almost no one will bother to do it. Also your metal plate may become unreadable due to marine growth. I would suggest you use a divers slate as a log, wouldn't even need a seperate container. Tell the cachers on the cache page what to expect. Keep it simple and good luck with your cache.

Thanks for the reply. I am not too concerned about how many people visit the cache - but I take your point. My thinking about directing people back to a surface cache was so that other geocachers (perhaps non-diving surface support members / partners/kids) could also sign the log. Perhaps the log could include declaring diver / non-diver?

I like the idea of an underwater slate - but the location I was going to use was a dive site where loads of divers go every weekend. The slate would probably get taken by non caching divers - or simply get "graffiti" covered.

If I use a less well visitied location in future - that is an idea worth exploring. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Thanks for the reply. I am not too concerned about how many people visit the cache - but I take your point. My thinking about directing people back to a surface cache was so that other geocachers (perhaps non-diving surface support members / partners/kids) could also sign the log. Perhaps the log could include declaring diver / non-diver?

I like the idea of an underwater slate - but the location I was going to use was a dive site where loads of divers go every weekend. The slate would probably get taken by non caching divers - or simply get "graffiti" covered.

If I use a less well visitied location in future - that is an idea worth exploring. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

the surface support will always be signed in :anibad:

Sleeping with the Fish(s)

given that the place you want to put it at is busy, any type of container has a high chance to go MIA

depending on what is there you could place it away from the underwater attractions but give directions from there

like this cache Sherkston Quarry Scuba Cache - The Sequel

my choice would be to put it in a place where there is not much activity

Edited by t4e

The info. on the cache page includes the following

"It contains a plastic card to sign and a secret code written on the inside of the lid. It may be easiest to bring a marker or pen to write on the card as the pencil inside may be wet and break - bringing the cache to the surface to sign may also be an option - but please return it to it's hiding spot."

The info. on the cache page includes the following

"It contains a plastic card to sign and a secret code written on the inside of the lid. It may be easiest to bring a marker or pen to write on the card as the pencil inside may be wet and break - bringing the cache to the surface to sign may also be an option - but please return it to it's hiding spot."

ooh no idea, we didn't make it down to that one, i couldn't get one of my ears to clear

hence the DNF log from dfx

doesn't say anything what the code is for though or that you need to quote it to log it

Edited by t4e
1. Place a metal plate underwater (coordinates for the cache are published on Groundspeak) - the metal plate would then have "Go to" coordinates leading the cacher to a container on the surface. (Multicache)?

2. Place a metal plate underwater (coordinates for the cache are published) - the metal plate would then have some numbers/letter A=5, B=6 etc etc - so the cacher can then fill in the gaps for the coordinates of a cache on the surface. (Puzzle cache - if we include some really simple maths..... A+B= c)

Both of those would be multis. If you have a certain specific starting location (posted coords) then it's a multi. If you don't, it's a puzzle cache (note that you still need to use GPS and/or coordinates somehow). Both of these approaches would probably work well, assuming the metal plate holds up against the elements (the point about underwater growth getting on it is quite valid). Other options would be to get information off an existing underwater object, such as a wreck, and use that for calculating the final cache coords.

3. Place a metal plate underwater (coordinates for the cache are published) - the metal plate has a key word or number which the cacher then sends to the owner before logging the cache. (This is a sort of earthcache approach - but I don't know what type of cache this would end up being?)

None, this approach isn't allowed under the guidelines. Your only options here would be to either wait until the "new" "virtuals" are out and see if those are usable for your idea, or make it a proper underwater earthcache with everything that's required for it. Other than that, there must be a container with a log sheet at a minimum. You can optionally include a key word as alternative, in case people can't or don't want to sign the log for some reason, but visitors must have the possibility of signing the log. Having a logging keyword does not make it ok to neglect the container or log. You also can't require them to send you the keyword, as this would be an unallowed ALR.

4. Place a container and waterproof logbook underwater and hope it lasts! (Traditional cache) (I want to avoid this if possible).

Consider placing a container that's not waterproof to begin with - allow it to be flooded and use a dive slate as log sheet. Depending on where the cache is placed and how deep it is, sooner or later someone will open it underwater, so it's wiser to design it to be opened under water from the beginning.

Edited by dfx

I'd guess that the "secret code" was intended to be emailed to the cache owner as find verification, and that the reviewer explained that this is not allowed under the current guidelines.

It's also possible that they intend to hide several caches, and ultimately create some sort of Unknown cache that uses the codewords from several caches to generate coords.

I like your offset idea, allowing surface friends to log a find on a cache, perhaps a trading cache, near the dive site.

Using numbers or letters on an existing feature is perhaps the easiest way to make this work. Or your notion of " metal plate underwater (coordinates for the cache are published) - the metal plate would then have some numbers/letter A=5, B=6 etc etc - so the cacher can then fill in the gaps for the coordinates of a cache on the surface. (Puzzle cache - if we include some really simple maths..... A+B= c)".

If the conversion is simple enough, this can be a Multi-cache, of off-set type, rather then puzzle.

A problem with dive caches, especially inland, can be for-profit fee for access. That is, dive sites that can only be used by paying a particular vendor. For scuba caches Groundspeak tends to be somewhat relaxed about allowing publication, but you will need to get Groundspeak's permission for that ( http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=request ). Where a site is public access, or the fee is to a public entity (state or city park), not a problem.

Both of those would be multis. If you have a certain specific starting location (posted coords) then it's a multi. If you don't, it's a puzzle cache (note that you still need to use GPS and/or coordinates somehow). Both of these approaches would probably work well, assuming the metal plate holds up against the elements (the point about underwater growth getting on it is quite valid). Other options would be to get information off an existing underwater object, such as a wreck, and use that for calculating the final cache coords.

None, this approach isn't allowed under the guidelines. Your only options here would be to either wait until the "new" "virtuals" are out and see if those are usable for your idea, or make it a proper underwater earthcache with everything that's required for it. Other than that, there must be a container with a log sheet at a minimum. You can optionally include a key word as alternative, in case people can't or don't want to sign the log for some reason, but visitors must have the possibility of signing the log. Having a logging keyword does not make it ok to neglect the container or log. You also can't require them to send you the keyword, as this would be an unallowed ALR.

Consider placing a container that's not waterproof to begin with - allow it to be flooded and use a dive slate as log sheet. Depending on where the cache is placed and how deep it is, sooner or later someone will open it underwater, so it's wiser to design it to be opened under water from the beginning.

Really helpful reply - I am now much clearer on guidelines and I think I will be able to sort this out. Cheers.

I'd guess that the "secret code" was intended to be emailed to the cache owner as find verification, and that the reviewer explained that this is not allowed under the current guidelines.

It's also possible that they intend to hide several caches, and ultimately create some sort of Unknown cache that uses the codewords from several caches to generate coords.

I like your offset idea, allowing surface friends to log a find on a cache, perhaps a trading cache, near the dive site.

Using numbers or letters on an existing feature is perhaps the easiest way to make this work. Or your notion of " metal plate underwater (coordinates for the cache are published) - the metal plate would then have some numbers/letter A=5, B=6 etc etc - so the cacher can then fill in the gaps for the coordinates of a cache on the surface. (Puzzle cache - if we include some really simple maths..... A+B= c)".

If the conversion is simple enough, this can be a Multi-cache, of off-set type, rather then puzzle.

A problem with dive caches, especially inland, can be for-profit fee for access. That is, dive sites that can only be used by paying a particular vendor. For scuba caches Groundspeak tends to be somewhat relaxed about allowing publication, but you will need to get Groundspeak's permission for that ( http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=request ). Where a site is public access, or the fee is to a public entity (state or city park), not a problem.

Another clear and helpful reply. Many thanks.

Edited by pbowenwalker

My personal suggestion for making an underwater multi/offset cache would be to make the underwater clue really simple. For example, you tell them that they'll find one number for latitude and one number for longitude, and then give them some dummy set of coordinates that they need to add the numbers to (quite a common setup for multis). And then make the numbers something really simple and easy to remember, like 123 for both latitude and longitude. This makes it easy to remember (even narced :)) and eliminates the need for writing down the clue or taking a picture of it.

Edited by dfx

My personal suggestion for making an underwater multi/offset cache would be to make the underwater clue really simple. For example, you tell them that they'll find one number for latitude and one number for longitude, and then give them some dummy set of coordinates that they need to add the numbers to (quite a common setup for multis). And then make the numbers something really simple and easy to remember, like 123 for both latitude and longitude. This makes it easy to remember (even narced :)) and eliminates the need for writing down the clue or taking a picture of it.

I will probably end up doing something along those lines. I take your point about "keep it simple" - a sound rule for geocaching underwater and for increasing the success for the finder. I want the cache to be a fun challenge not an impossible mission - so your suggestion is wise.

Many thanks.