Kayak cachers

Thanks for the reply, Brian..

Yes, I have been on the Wilderness System site reading. I don't quite understand the difference between recreational and touring. I'll ne using it in the sea and also the mangroves and canals.

I want to be able to pack gear and camp like you say.

That one seems good. I think I could get away with the one above it (12 feet) because of my weight. Is that right? I need to be able to lift it by myself and put on top of my car.

Can you also use your kayak for class 1 or 2 whitewater? Or is it only for sea? Can you lift yours easily?

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

Unless you buy online, most sales stores either have rentals or used ones that they you can borrow for a day to heck out. In many cases, at least in this area, stores also have "outings" where you and others go with a store rep and paddle about in a couple of different kayaks that might fit your experience, planned usage, physical size, age, ....

I am 6'2" weighing in about 175 and have a 9.5' Perception - Good kayak that tracks well and is great for the backwater (not rapids) streams & creeks in Central Florida

Have fun and be safe

You might want to reconsider buying a recreational kayak if you are planning on using it in the ocean. You can get away with one on protected bays, but using one in the ocean is a bad idea unless it's a dead calm day. There are ocean kayaking tour operators who will not allow you on their tours with a recreational kayak for safety reasons.

As recreational kayaks go, you're looking at two of the best.

I haven't owned a kayak in some years, but have paddled a few in recent years. I liked the Pungo a lot. Kind of slow but a fun boat.

A few years back we were looking for a boat and decided to go with a canoe over kayaks because the canoe is more versatile, but if we find some extra money in the budget we'd eventually like to add a pair of kayaks to our armada. The Pungo and Tsunami are kayaks that we will certainly consider.

If you want advice from the experts,as well as reviews head over to http://www.paddling.net/ and check out their forums.

Oh, snap I didn't know you couldn't use one type of kayak on certain types of water. I do want to be able to paddle in the ocean and be able to navigate over wakes and some waves. But need one for flat water and tight turns in the mangroves.

I'll check that site out. So, a touring kayak is the most versatile?

I have a canoe and I've had it in choppy water and it held up ok. It did get rougher and clit my com and me overboard. I thought it was because we were sitting up too tall.

The canoe is also so heavy, big to transport and sometimes I just want to paddle alone.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

We just picked up a couple Heritage Redfish 14 foot kayaks. I haven't even had them in the water yet. :anicute:

Got them used from a friend of a friend a little over a week ago and just finished building a trailer for them yesterday. Once I get a couple new tires we will head out and grab some caches with them.

I only know of a few water only caches (I haven't looked up more yet) here in Central Florida, but I know there are some more on the coasts that we will eventually try to get.

Have you considered a sit on top kayak? I know of a few people in South Florida that take their sit on tps offshore for fishing.

A 10 foot Heritage Redfish (or something similar) would work for the mangroves and canals, but not be real good for offshore. You want something bigger (12'-14') to head offshore with.

As far as loading it on your car, there are systems where you put one end of the kayak on your car, lock it on, and then swing up the other end. I have never used that system, but I have seen it mentioned before, probably on paddling.net or Floridasportsman.com.

Good luck

I will have to research that way of loading the kayak, thanks! I did consider a SOT kayak, but I'm leaning towards a sit in for a few reasons. I want to be able to use a spray skirt and have dry storage.

I'd like to be able to take it into slightly rough water with no issues. I'm looking at 12 for ones. I am now on paddling.net and getting more info.

I did a few canoe/kayak caches and it was really fun. Enjoy your outing!

I have been using an Old Town Dirigo XT 106 to kayak cache, camp, fish, and just have fun in for a couple of years now. It's nothing fancy, but it has been very reliable. I have had it in everything from dead calm water to some very rough conditions with no problems at all...using a spray skirt of course to keep water out of the cockpit area. It is very stable, has a small dry storage area, and has bungie straps on the front and back for strapping down dry bags for camping trips. Good luck on your search for a kayak...you will not regret getting one, at least in my opinion! Here are a few pics from in the water.

3mediumk.jpg

5mediumdo.jpg

1mediums.jpg

I will have to research that way of loading the kayak, thanks! I did consider a SOT kayak, but I'm leaning towards a sit in for a few reasons. I want to be able to use a spray skirt and have dry storage.

I'd like to be able to take it into slightly rough water with no issues. I'm looking at 12 for ones. I am now on paddling.net and getting more info.

I did a few canoe/kayak caches and it was really fun. Enjoy your outing!

If you are looking for a kayak with room for weekend touring and occasional romps in choppy water than you should have a 14' or longer kayak. This will have the capacity for storage that you will need plus it will track better than a rec boat.

What kind of budget are you looking at? Rotomolded plastic is the cheapest while thermoformed plastic, fibreglass and Kevlar round out the selection with generally increasing prices.

Here are a couple of introductory links to read.

http://www.roguepaddler.com/choose.htm

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/kayak.html

We tried on kayaks at EMS' "kayak for free" days events.

Play all day. You'll great info, find what's right for you and have a ball.

We finally settled on Old Town Dirigos, for their ease of use, forgiving body material (plastic) and more-than-ample storage.

CJ's is a 10.6' and mine is a 14' fishing model.

Mine alone has enough room to carry a weeks camping supplies. Ultra light hikers, we can put in a Coleman stove, coolers and supplies we'd never consider on foot.

Here is a cache on the river. It is a beautiful wonderful river that people tube down. However, there are more remote areas where watercraft is needed to reach. Here is one. Here is another. I have not been there to cache. I grew up kayaking up the river and swimming down it. I don't own my own kayaks as my parents have enough for us all to use. I am excited for your new purchase and hope you love it!

I have a Necky Zoar Sport and I'm very fond of it. I've had it for 3 or 4 years now. It's really rugged, I run it up onto rocky beaches and over snags and submerged trees all the time. It's incredibly stable and I paddle on rougher seas all the time (2 1/2 to 4 foot waves). It has lots of storage for those overnight and weekend trips.

For those on the west coast, here on the Sunshine Coast, BC we have quite a few boat/paddle in caches.

Keats Landing

Climbers Cliff, Keats Landing

Ding Dong

Just to name a few.

I have been using a Current Design Whistler for 5 years now. It's 15ft long with large dry bulkheads. It has a large entry and stability is maximal. CD has redesigned it shorter in 2011 so getting your hands on a used one would be two-thumbs up!!!

I have packed it tight with camping gear on many occasions and I have paddled large waves (ie Georgian Bay) and choppy waters (ie Kiosk) with a great sense of safety. On the down side, when packed full, portages are out of the question, even with a buggy.