cache approval?

xyzabc

I have been wondering for a while now if I could become a cache approver for my area? That area being the province of Newfoundland and Labrador?

I've been interested in this for a while, and would like to know if it is possible.

tj.jpg

"Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

TJ, thanks for the offer.

As the sport continues to grow the existing cache approvers would no doubt appreciate some help. We've tried to break out the work load in a regional manner to some extent. We don't want geocaching to evolve differently in different parts of the world, but do on the other hand recognize the need for local knowledge. An example might be state or regional parks that prohibit geocaching - a local would know and remember that, whereas someone from another area might forget.

In being able to judge caches nothing beats experience with hunting the various types out there, as well as placing your own and reading the reactions of those who find them. The same holds true for experiencing the affects of poor cache placement - social trails, cache confiscation, etc. I mention all that in light of your hide/find count. No offense intended, but I would respecfully suggest waiting a bit and gaining a bit more experience in the sport. That will also allow you to grow a thick hide - a prerequisite for the position. icon_wink.gif And don't do anything that would mess up the pre-employeement drug test either. icon_smile.gif

All the best,

erik - geocaching.com admin

the hide/find count is something of a necesity around here. The next closest cache to me is a 40minute drive each way, and with 4 feet of snow down, not very accessable.

As for poor cache placement, I think I know a bit about that. One cache here (used to be a multi, not anymore) had the firts 3 stages in VERY poor places. One was right in front of the door to museum, one was visible from the highway, and the other was right next to the fence of the local airport.

There may not be many caches that I can get during the winter. But, the Kitiwake Geocaching Network has hidden 22 or 23 caches so far that I can get. I'm planning a trip in late May. Maybe then I can be an approver.

tj.jpg

"Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

quote:
Originally posted by ~erik~:

And don't do anything that would mess up the pre-employeement drug test either. icon_smile.gif

I guess that leaves me out, then. As opinionated as I am on these very forums, it's very likely that I wouldn't be perceived as a good choice. icon_eek.gif

CR

72057_2000.gif