Inner-city of Suburbs?

Griffin!

I am relatively new to geocaching and need some help about choosing where to geocache. I have access to both the inner-city Portland, Oregon and the Portland suburbs. Since I'm going to be dedicating some time to geocache; where do you suggest I go? Do you have a preference between the city and the 'burbs? Is there any difference between the types or quality of caches? Any advice about one or the other? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

-Griffin!

Sometimes I'm in the mood to tour around a city in which case I'll go to a more urban environment and hit the parks mostly. Sometimes I'm in the mood for around town caching so I'll hit some more local caches in the rural towns here. And sometimes I really want to just be at one with nature in the woods and I'll go out and do those. Types vary in all the environments and lots of people have strong preferences. If I think I'll see something cool at the cache I'll do it.

So I suggest you go to where you are interested in going. Look at some maps and see where the caches. Look at the cache pages and see if comments are made about the quality of the container and what not. Maybe there's a cache page that highlights something neat about an area that you didn't know otherwise. Take a chance and check it out.

I am relatively new to geocaching and need some help about choosing where to geocache. I have access to both the inner-city Portland, Oregon and the Portland suburbs. Since I'm going to be dedicating some time to geocache; where do you suggest I go? Do you have a preference between the city and the 'burbs? Is there any difference between the types or quality of caches? Any advice about one or the other? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Lets see: nano in spruce tree or pill bottle LPC.

decisions decisions.

...nano in spruce tree or pill bottle LPC.

decisions decisions.

Fortunately, that seems to be an accurate desccription of "only" about 20% of the traditional/micro caches in metro Portland. One hider in particular has tried to cover the area in nanos that are largely indistinguishable from trash. To be fair, I give him credit for trying, and know this is great for folks who are in it for numbers -- but I usually* filter his handiwork out of my pocket queries.

To answer the OP, there are thousands of good caches, traditional and othewise, all over the Portland area. Try a pocket query based on your home coordinates and then just head out to whatever park, hiking trail, or nature path that interests you and shows a cluster of likely targets.

---

*Usually, but not always. When I'm walking a trail he's littered, I will look for some of them.

Edited by Portland Cyclist

Do some of each and decide what YOU like. I don't know you so I don't know what type of hide you would enjoy the most. There is a great diversity of hides in any given area. Part of the fun of geocaching is finding out what you want to seek. Just because I think a certain type of cache or a certain area is awesome doesn't mean you will or should like it. Enjoy!

I live in the suburbs, and I hate it here. Go to the city, something interesting is always happening, big buildings, homeless people, music, block partys, stores everywhere, huge crowds. I love it!

I can't wait until I move to the city. Suburbs are boring.

You have repeated this sentiment time and again. I would love to hear how you feel about it in 20 years though. You will probably be a happy owner of a suburban home.

Good Morning,

You are sitting on top of a rather good area to cache in.

I would suggest Dr Who GCW6EM which currently has garnered 313 favorite points. There are a nummber of urban caches close by ... you will find yourself in the general vicinity of Mt. Tabor City Park which has a number of "ruralish" hides plus an Earth Cache.

Then of course you could wander over to the Estacada area and bag the Original Stash GCGVOP which currently has garnered 796 favorite points.

Again, you are in a cache rich environment .

Edited by humboldt flier
You [somebody else] have repeated this sentiment time and again. I would love to hear how you feel about it in 20 years though. You will probably be a happy owner of a suburban home.

Not me. I've lived in a city by choice for over 20 years, and about 15 years ago when I had the chance, I moved in closer to the lively core. I love it here. I can walk to everything I need, including parkland with caches.

Occasionally I tour the outer suburbs while on a cache hunt. It really depresses me to contemplate being stuck with living there.

You [somebody else] have repeated this sentiment time and again. I would love to hear how you feel about it in 20 years though. You will probably be a happy owner of a suburban home.

Not me. I've lived in a city by choice for over 20 years, and about 15 years ago when I had the chance, I moved in closer to the lively core. I love it here. I can walk to everything I need, including parkland with caches.

Occasionally I tour the outer suburbs while on a cache hunt. It really depresses me to contemplate being stuck with living there.

That's why I live in the country. The burbs depress me. I wouldn't want to live in the city either, because I like nature. We have a peaceful spot with a creek and lots of native plants and wildlife. Although, if I had a ton of money I'd be happy buying a second home in Seattle, preferably a houseboat. ;)