Garmin Oregon 450 pedometer

I was placing a cache tonight, and I wanted to place it approximately .5 miles from the parking coordinates because the whole point of this cache is to enjoy the hiking trail a little bit. I created a waypoint at my parking spot, and then I set it up to navigate me back to my parking coordinates. The idea was that I would walk along the trail, getting farther and farther away, and the compass would read how far away the car was; however, the trail turned back on itself, and the compass gives distance 'as the crow flies' rather than along the trail I was walking. I'm sure there must be a way to do what I want, but I haven't figured it out as yet, and I'm hoping that someone here can help me. Thanks!

The field you are looking for is Trip Distance - this shows how far you have travelled since resetting the Trip counters.

Tap on one of the displayed fields and a list appears, scroll down and you should spot it. Tap on it and it goes back to the screen.

Once you see the distance it shows either

1) just walk until it's gone up by 0.5 miles

or

2) setttings -> reset -> reset trip

then switch back to the display and walk until it read 0.5 miles