New Cache Size Category Needed

briansnat

The choices are now "micro", "regular" and "large". The "regular" size includes everything ranging from size of a pack of cigarettes, to a 4.9 gallon bucket. "Regular" caches can include a 1/2 pint peanut butter jar, an ammo box, a gallon paint can or a 3 gallon Tupperware-type

container. This makes a big difference when you are out searching.

I suggest adding another category, perhaps "mini" for those smaller Tupperware and Gladware containers.

Suggestion:

Micro - film cannisters, Altoids boxes, cigar tubes.

Mini - Smaller containers such as sandwich and "serving" sized Tupperware, Gladware and Rubbermaid.

Regular - .20 and .50 cal ammo boxes, litre to gallon sized plastic containers.

Large - Containers larger than a gallon.

Yep, "regular" covers almost the entire range in cache-sizes I've found so far. (I'd be very surprised to find that more than 5% of caches were larger than "regular".)

I tend to think in terms of what sorts of (more-or-less) standard sized items a container will take:

nothing much bigger than a guitar pick (micro)

nothing bigger than compact cassette tapes

nothing bigger than normal CD jewel cases

nothing bigger than DVD or VHS video cases

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

Malak uses 3 gallon containers, which according to the standards on the website, constituts a "regular" sized cache. A sandwich sized Gladware container also falls into the same category. I've purchased some containers that are slightly larger than a cigarette pack and under the standareds on the website, would have to classify them as a regular sized cache.

It does help to know what you are looking for if the cache owner does not describe the container and there is a big difference between a 1/2 pint peanutbutter jar and a 3 gallon mayo jar.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Please ignore my spelling in the above post. My typing has been effected by several pints of Guinness. I however stand by the statements.

Well, we're glad you're still able to stand, Brian! icon_wink.gif

My solution is to just call all the small containers "micro." I also try to list the dimensions of the containers in the cache description. Your idea would simplify things a bit.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Please ignore my spelling in the above post. My typing has been effected by several pints of Guinness. I however stand by the statements.

Well, we're glad you're still able to stand, Brian! icon_wink.gif

My solution is to just call all the small containers "micro." I also try to list the dimensions of the containers in the cache description. Your idea would simplify things a bit.

I'd like to see choices for Large, Regular, Mini, and Micro, too.

In the meantime, though...I think most people would consider a 4.9 gallon container to be "Large" rather than "Regular". (This isn't "The Price Is Right." It's ok to round down, here. icon_wink.gif)

I try to describe and/or show a picture of all of my caches on the cache page. Besides just the size, it's nice to know what TYPE of container to look for. An olive green ammo can vs. a clear round Rubbermaid container with a bright white lid, are completely different animals...even if their volumes happen to be identical.

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

I'd like to see choices for Large, Regular, Mini, and Micro, too.

In the meantime, though...I think most people would consider a 4.9 gallon container to be "Large" rather than "Regular". (This isn't "The Price Is Right." It's ok to round down, here. icon_wink.gif)

I try to describe and/or show a picture of all of my caches on the cache page. Besides just the size, it's nice to know what TYPE of container to look for. An olive green ammo can vs. a clear round Rubbermaid container with a bright white lid, are completely different animals...even if their volumes happen to be identical.

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg