who has the highest average Difficulty & Terrain ratings?

JL_HSTRE

If you go to your profile's Statistics tab, one of the stats is the average Difficulty and average Terrain of all Finds you've ever logged.

On pretty much every profile stats I've seen both numbers are somewhere between 1.5 and 1.8. I was particularly surprised when one cacher had an average Terrain of about 1.7 despite being a kayaker and swamp hiker and thus finding a number of high Terrain caches via kayak or swamp hike.

This got me wondering: what are the highest average Difficult and highest average Terrain stats that you know of?

Lets limit it to cachers with at least 50 Finds to cut out stuff like someone going on one geo-kayaking trip. ('Qualifying minimum' is a common practice when talking about career statistical averages in sports.)

in Washington, we have a cacher named Ruck who does more of those than I can imagine but even he I bet has a low percentage. Would be hard to find someone who totally ignores the urban ones and other easy ones and entirely focuses on those.

I think being in Washington can kinda scew things, as well. From reading the forums, it seems that we tend to rate our terrain lower than other areas, especially on some of the older caches.

Edited by Ambrosia

I've been trying to get over 2/2 for a little while now. Once you get a few caches the numbers rise excruciatingly slow. I'm over on Diff., but 1.95 on terrain. I know that at 1000 caches that I was over 30% of my finds were rated at least 3 on either difficulty or terrain.

mygeocachingprofile.com maintains some lists for that. They don't filter for number of finds, and of course not everyone uploads to their service. But here you go:

Very neat - thanks!

I'm the 100th best in the world for log length. I knew I wrote long logs... But... Woah! I gotta slow up with my typing.

100th best in the world...of people who upload their cache stats to MyGeocachingProfile.com ;)

I thought I tended to write longer than usual logs, but I'm clearly being desensitized by all the TFTCers. I'm only tied for 695th with an average of 362 characters. Fellow Floridians Riffster and antimony13 are putting me to shame. :P

Holy cow! How many people do they track?

1062 Coldgears 320 06/25/2011

I'm the 100th best in the world for log length. I knew I wrote long logs... But... Woah! I gotta slow up with my typing.

Don't slow up. HIGH MAINTENANCE owners like long logs and hate TFTC TNLN SL

There... fixed it for you. :anibad: :anibad: :anibad:

Last January I created two challenge caches The 1.5 D & T Average Challenge and The 1.9 D & T Average Challenge. On the 1.9 challenge I have a 2.0 or Higher Honour Roll that currently lists 8 cachers. Clubmud1 has reproduced these challenges (he contacted me to ask if he could - it's not like I own the idea so of course I said yes) and even created a 2.0 D & T Average Challenge (which still has to be found). If I didn't live so far away from it I would go find it.

From the logs on my two challenges - it would appear that they have resulted in some cachers changing their behaviour - maybe temporarily - and go after some of the more higher rated caches. Obviously the more caches you have found, the harder it is to increase your rating. But read BBoG's log on what he did to get his average up to 1.9.

I'm currently at 2.09/2.11 with 2,100+ finds and my personal goal is to keep it above 2.0.

1.95/2.14. Terrain would probably would be a bit higher higher but the local caches tend to have lower terrain ratings than what I see for similar caches in most other areas I've cached. I've found three and four star terrain caches in other states that would usually be 2 or 2.5 around here.

I like the higher terrain and difficulty ones, but I also like clearing out a radius of caches around me so I do not have to drive too far to get a few. The idea of boosting my average much seems like I would have to intentionally abandon getting easier caches near home. Nah, seems restrictive, at least to me. My non-traditional percentage would be a lot higher if I did that too. Have never seen a challenge which says you need to have x % of non-traditionals but I have heard the idea bandied about by some others.

The interesting thing about challenge caches that require a certain percentage of things (X% of your finds must not be traditionals, you must average at least Y Terrain points for all of your finds, etc) is that they can have the unintended effect of discouraging people from caching at times. Kind of odd.

D - average 1.80 Sigh. More puzzle caches to solve and find.

T - average 1.73 We hope to get come canoe caches this summer/fall and get this average higher.

920 finds

And proud to be #207 mwellman 512 characters 07/29/2011 which works out to a several sentences or a paragraph for each cache. If we want to break the top 200, we will have to write an extra sentence about the weather or the plants or the birds or the snowflakes.

mygeocachingprofile.com maintains some lists for that. They don't filter for number of finds, and of course not everyone uploads to their service. But here you go:

Very neat - thanks!

100th best in the world...of people who upload their cache stats to MyGeocachingProfile.com ;)

I thought I tended to write longer than usual logs, but I'm clearly being desensitized by all the TFTCers. I'm only tied for 695th with an average of 362 characters. Fellow Floridians Riffster and antimony13 are putting me to shame. :P

How do you see this stat?

I'm the 100th best in the world for log length. I knew I wrote long I thought I tended to write longer than usual logs, but I'm clearly being desensitized by all the TFTCers. I'm only tied for 695th with an average of 362 characters. Fellow Floridians Riffster and antimony13 are putting me to shame. :P

How do you see this stat?

You can find that one here:

http://www.mygeocachingprofile.com/cacherrankings.aspx?sort=10

Since northern NJ has relatively few park n grabs I thought there would be some people with relatively high terrain averages who cache here a lot. A quick look at a few local cachers shows:

Wjgrun---------D 2.00/T 2.38 (949 finds)

Jonboy---------D 1.97/T 2.43 (1254 finds)

PolskiKrol-----D 1.93/T 2.12 (3306 finds)

ThirstyMick----D 1.88/T 2.03 (2275 finds)

Treequest------D 1.98/T 2.16 (639 finds)

OutdoorsLady---D 1.86/T 2.05 (2505 finds)

Weathernowcast-D 1.91/T 2.09 (3462 finds)

Fusilli Jerry--D 2.00/T 2.22 (1325 finds)

macatac1961----D 1.87/T 2.04 (8169 finds)

Ramapo---------D 1.98/T 2.19 (1094 finds)

Geobernd-------D 1.94/T 2.24 (3325 finds)

Waterboy-------D 2.13/T 2.70 (394 finds)

Walkin' Ed-----D 1.93/T 2.09 (6258 finds)

Trowel32-------D 2.11/T 2.17 (6505 find)

Wayless Wood---D 1.93/T 2.08 (2620 finds)

Jeeper1--------D 2.00/T 2.27 (2695 finds)

Edited by briansnat

Since northern NJ has relatively few park n grabs I thought there would be some people with relatively high terrain averages who cache here a lot. A quick look at a few local cachers shows:

Almost there. I need to get out into the mountains a little more so I can make it onto Briansnat's list of local cachers :):

slukster------D 1.90/T 1.92 (441 finds)

Us North Jersey cachers aren't afraid of a little difficult terrain. :)

I am surprised polskikrol doesn't have a higher terrain rating. Polskikrol is a mountain goat at heart and is always hiking the mountains.

I am proud to average 582 characters in my logs (#138 on the list). I don't ever leave just a TFTC log.

I started paying attention to my average difficulty and terrain a few years ago. It's hard to get both up at the same time, but I've made some progress. It has certainly had the side-effect of increasing the quality of the caches I have done.

I've done the same. It pretty much weeds out trache.

I do believe I may then have one of the highest combined averages in NJ with over 1500 finds! Go South Jersey! (2.24/2.28)

Edited by Discordia19

1.83/2.09

I started doing a lot of mountain hiking and this really gets the terrain up pretty quickly but most are on the lower end of the difficulty scale. I'd like to get to 2.50 for terrain.

1.73/1.79 now

All those PTs took their toll.

I really like challenge caches, but don't care for any that use percentages. While a cache for a certain average might reward you for doing high terrain or high difficulty caches, it is also rewarding you for not doing other caches which is a negative in my opinion. 2 cachers can do the identical high terrain caches, but if one of them also does some low terrain caches and their average fall below whatever the threshhold of the challenge is, they have actually done more in this game, but the other cacher is rewarded with a challenge find. Also, a cacher can be qualified for it at one point in time and later not be qualified for it. For this reason, I do not pay much attention to the averages.