UK Mega 2012 fundraising geocoins

Dan1980

As you may be aware, the 5th Annual UK Mega Event will be held in North West England next year, specifically at Cartmel Racecourse, Cumbria, and we're hoping to make it a bit different to previous UK Megas, with an outdoors "country fair" feel to the event.

6014475156_d060a4a84d_z.jpg

As part of our fundraising activities, we are producing a series of Geocoins which will be released gradually over the coming year. The first five coins each represent one of the five counties that make up the region; Cumbria, Merseyside, Lancashire, Greater Manchester and Cheshire. Each county coin features some of that county's most famous landmarks on the front and a list of settlements on the reverse along with an icon representing the county's emblem.

The reverse of the coins also feature a poem which was specially commissioned for the set of coins. Each coin contains two lines and once the five coins are put together the poem can be read around the outside of the design:

"Lakes and Mountains

Seashore and Sky

Coal and Cobbles

Fields and Fells

Cotton and Commerce

Science and Industry

Trains and Barges

Salt and Sandstone

Music and Laughter

Welcome and Farewell"

The tracking number has been engraved on the side of each coin so that it does not compromise the design of the coin. Each of the coins also has its own individual unique icon on Geocaching.com. Our first two coins, Cumbria and Merseyside, are now available:

Cumbria

Cumbria_LRG.jpg

Merseyside

Merseyside_LRG.jpg

The coins will join together to form a unique large star shaped design, with the final Mega Event coin forming the centrepiece:

284669_10150382752287818_334883107817_10266562_3623341_n.jpg

Please note that this is the initial artwork received from our manufacturer, and as such contains a few mistakes which will be rectified before the coins go in to production!

The coins are priced at £8 each, or you can buy all 6 now for just £45, receiving future coins as soon as they are released. By buying a full set now you are helping to support the financial planning of the event as well as receiving a discount on the full individual price of each coin. The final coin will be available to collect at the Mega, but we're keeping the design under wraps for now. If you are unable to attend the event the coin can be posted to you afterwards.

The coins will be on sale at our Push the Button launch event in Warrington on Friday, and then at future events around the North West. Alternatively, you can also buy online from our shop where you can also find more details about the coins: http://bit.ly/mega2012shop

I never got the merseyside thing there...

Music?

Laughter?

Have you never heard of Gerry & the pacemakers, or Les Dennis ?

Anyway back to the coin, I'm not particularly into coins but this looks like a great one/six to me.

Gerry and The Pacemakers... 1st band to reach number one with their first three singles... beaten by the pop tarts spice girls... and one of those three (at least was a cover)

Les Dennis??????? OMG... I take back everything I said about Ken Dodd, he's way funnier than Les! Stan Boardman may have had me reeling... but Les Dennis??? Actually that is funny!

Laughter?

I take it you've never seen Everton play football

(No, not many people have :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: )

Ahhh... That laughter! Yeah... Seen Liverpool play for 20 years with no title too :D

Yep. Saw the same with Man Utd not winning it for 26 years. They had to get relegated to win trophies in that time, Liverpool just went to Europe. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Laughter?

Ahhh... That laughter! Yeah... Seen Liverpool play for 20 years with no title too :D

Yep. Saw the same with Man Utd not winning it for 26 years. They had to get relegated to win trophies in that time, Liverpool just went to Europe. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Relegated 74, promoted 75... No trophy that year! Or my first game in 76... Bloody saints!

Looking forward to this season... As now I know fergie is sane... Back in 86 when he said Liverpool had more titles and he was going to put it right, I thought he was a nutter!!!!

My grandfather was a good friend of one Bob Paisley... How he wasn't knighted I'll never know. Nice guy, enjoyed his company a few times.

Nothing against Liverpool... But the Beatles are overrated, and the comedy overplayed... Surely football is Merseyside's best export?????

Laughter?

Relegated 74, promoted 75... No trophy that year! Or my first game in 76... Bloody saints!

Looking forward to this season... As now I know fergie is sane... Back in 86 when he said Liverpool had more titles and he was going to put it right, I thought he was a nutter!!!!

My grandfather was a good friend of one Bob Paisley... How he wasn't knighted I'll never know. Nice guy, enjoyed his company a few times.

Nothing against Liverpool... But the Beatles are overrated, and the comedy overplayed... Surely football is Merseyside's best export?????

Can we drag this thread back on topic please???

Regards

Paul

Geohatter

Volunteer UK Reviewer & Forum Mod - geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books http://support.Groundspeak.com//index.php

I noticed that there is a Dewsbury on the Greater Manchester coin, to be honest I can't think where Dewsbury is in Greater Manchester, I always thought it was in West Yorkshire!

Yes, my mother and brother and sisters are from Dewsbury. It's in West Riding, Yorkshire. (Or it was!) Perhaps there's another one in greater Manchester?

I noticed that there is a Dewsbury on the Greater Manchester coin, to be honest I can't think where Dewsbury is in Greater Manchester, I always thought it was in West Yorkshire!

Yes, my mother and brother and sisters are from Dewsbury. It's in West Riding, Yorkshire. (Or it was!) Perhaps there's another one in greater Manchester?

I know Greater Manchester very well, and never heard of a Dewsbury here, I know Bradford is in Greater Manchester though!

Wikip states:

"Dewsbury is a minster town within the Metropolitan Borough of Kirklees, in West Yorkshire, England. It is to the west of Wakefield, to the East of Huddersfield and south of Leeds. It lies by the River Calder and the Calder and Hebble Navigation.

Historically a part of the West Riding of Yorkshire, after undergoing a period of major growth in the 19th century as a mill town, Dewsbury went through a period of decline. More recently there has been rapid and ongoing redevelopment of derelict mills into flats, and other projects concerned with regenerating run-down or deprived areas."

Obviously the small print noting there are known errors in the early artwork was a little bit too small :laughing:

The minted version will read Didsbury

I see now, I just thought the War of the Roses had flared up again, and the Lancastrian's were showing the Yorkies that we can still win ;)

I think they look absolutely fantastic. Will the yellow border have black text? :anicute:

The text in the borders on the reverse is all in base metal (antique nickel), so it will stand out from all of the background colours. You can see how the yellow border actually looks in the photo of the Merseyside coin. :grin: It doesn't show very well on the artwork because of the colour used to denote base metal.

Ordered my set at the weekend and the first two arrived on Tuesday :)

I activated them to see the icons - and at the moment they've both got the generic geocoin icon (golden coin thingy). Is this going to change to a special NW Mega icon, and if so, will it be the same icon for all the coins or will each one be different?

I activated them to see the icons - and at the moment they've both got the generic geocoin icon (golden coin thingy). Is this going to change to a special NW Mega icon, and if so, will it be the same icon for all the coins or will each one be different?

The icons were submitted a while ago, and should be online soon, and will be different for each of the coins.

The icons were submitted a while ago, and should be online soon, and will be different for each of the coins.

Excellent news! I look forward to seeing them. :D