Things You Have Learned While Reading the Forum posts

Things I've learned while reading the forum posts:

1. GPS units differ and you really need to know your unit

2. People use programs that help them cache like a swiss army thing

3. There are wildly differing opinions about what makes a good GZ (oh, I learned that is ground zero) for a cache, what a good cache container is, what good SWAG is and whether or not SWAG should even exist.

4. There are many people here who have Geocached for a long time and who should probably have their own forum for the seasoned cachers for the purpose of having more advanced discussions. (I don't fit into the new geocachers area so I can understand the frustration that others might find with me and my newness.)

5. That some people are really interested in numbers, streaks, stats, etc. and other people want to go to places of unusual locations. I sure wish there was a way to show this on the search feature. Something like a scenic location icon.

6. That cache maintenance is really important.

7. That some cachers like to really make us sweat by coming up with cache containers that I am afraid I would never notice. How does one find a pinecone container in a forest? I'm confused.

8. This is a game for all skill levels and interests you just need to figure out what your interests are and your skill level and then find a way to search for caches that fit that description.

9. I have gotten some great ideas for swag and cache containers and I will not be using anything controversial. I don't have a problem with spending money to create a quality cache.

10. Just because a cache is in a location, doesn't mean the person actually got permission for you to be there. We went to a cache where we had to cross a field and go by an abandoned house. We assumed we had the right to be there because the person got permission for the cache. Now, I am thinking we were lucky to have not been sited with trespassing! :o

11. That I really would like to know what others have learned from being in the forums longer than I have.

Reading the forums has shown me the huge regional differences in how the game is played. It really opens my eyes and gives me a broader perspective on things.

Personally I think the vast majority of cachers who don't even lurk in the forums are really missing out. Not to mention hanging out here means I'm among the first to know when guidelines change or new things are added to the site.

Reading the forums has shown me the huge regional differences in how the game is played. It really opens my eyes and gives me a broader perspective on things.

Personally I think the vast majority of cachers who don't even lurk in the forums are really missing out. Not to mention hanging out here means I'm among the first to know when guidelines change or new things are added to the site.

I agree, there is so much to learn here. I have learned a lot and found many helpful posters. I was seriously naive thinking that everyone had gotten permission for their caches, I will be a lot more cautious, now.

Things I've learned while reading the forum posts:

1. GPS units differ and you really need to know your unit

2. People use programs that help them cache like a swiss army thing

3. There are wildly differing opinions about what makes a good GZ (oh, I learned that is ground zero) for a cache, what a good cache container is, what good SWAG is and whether or not SWAG should even exist.

4. There are many people here who have Geocached for a long time and who should probably have their own forum for the seasoned cachers for the purpose of having more advanced discussions. (I don't fit into the new geocachers area so I can understand the frustration that others might find with me and my newness.)

5. That some people are really interested in numbers, streaks, stats, etc. and other people want to go to places of unusual locations. I sure wish there was a way to show this on the search feature. Something like a scenic location icon.

6. That cache maintenance is really important.

7. That some cachers like to really make us sweat by coming up with cache containers that I am afraid I would never notice. How does one find a pinecone container in a forest? I'm confused.

8. This is a game for all skill levels and interests you just need to figure out what your interests are and your skill level and then find a way to search for caches that fit that description.

9. I have gotten some great ideas for swag and cache containers and I will not be using anything controversial. I don't have a problem with spending money to create a quality cache.

10. Just because a cache is in a location, doesn't mean the person actually got permission for you to be there. We went to a cache where we had to cross a field and go by an abandoned house. We assumed we had the right to be there because the person got permission for the cache. Now, I am thinking we were lucky to have not been sited with trespassing! :o

11. That I really would like to know what others have learned from being in the forums longer than I have.

There is a scenic view attribute, it looks like a pair of binoculars.

I agree, there is so much to learn here. I have learned a lot and found many helpful posters. I was seriously naive thinking that everyone had gotten permission for their caches, I will be a lot more cautious, now.

I also think I've learned a lot from hanging out here over the years. It's also reinforced the notion that one shouldn't believe everything one reads on the Internet. :laughing:

Please note: That last comment wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. I've also learned that some people have very thin skins.

--Larry

And there are people that cache to spend time with family, or to get a chance to explore the woods regardless of not if the cache is by a scenic view. Those that the satisfaction of finding a creative cache. Those that like to hide caches to get great feedback. Those that like the stealth aspect... Ect... Ect...

Summing it up into two views is not good.

In a way, a geocache is a form of art. And like art opinions will differ.

I think that's the intended difference between the "Getting Started" and "Geocaching Topics".

There is a Scenic View attribute.

You noted some cachers are into numbers and some are into locations. Some are also into being challenged by very difficult hides (and some people get their jollies from making such hides).

Definitely.

10. Just because a cache is in a location, doesn't mean the person actually got permission for you to be there.

Yes, some COs take the term "adequate permission" very loosely.

A few things I've noticed:

1) If you make a post with a hostile attitude, you will get a hostile response.

2) There are certain topics/issues that come up monthly if not weekly on these forums and should probably have pinned topics by now.

3) There are plenty of forum users who will give calm, thought-out responses to questions and many who appreciate such responses.

Great question! :)

I've learned sooo much!

Where to begin?

That there are some very good (and often funny) writers who contribute to these forums.

That geocaching can last a lifetime and is so much more than signing a log book, if you want it to be, or it can really be that simple. :D

That sometimes, in cases of severe neglect, the best thing to to is to post a 'Needs Archiving'.

That I don't need to worry if I err on the side or caution in what I post, or if I go in a bit too gauche, there is always someone to balance it out (within reason). A lot of the time people post things I just don't understand and I don't need to know about. :rolleyes:

That so much that used to bother me about geocaching really doesn't matter. There is freedom in that, and I'm grateful for it.

That it is far better to delete my controversial sounding opinion before I even post it than try to explain it as not-so-controversial afterwards. (Learnt that a long time ago, but it still applies here.)

Geography and climate make more of a difference to appropriate cache containers than I expected.

I never get bored with geocaching.

Some people love bacon as much as more than I do.

I'd use one of those in a city park, not out in a forest where you could probably put an ammo can. I like hides like that in a city - where there is only the one pine tree!

I'd use one of those in a city park, not out in a forest where you could probably put an ammo can. I like hides like that in a city - where there is only the one pine tree!

Oh, that makes sense!

Thanks so much for the replies. I am learning more and more and am grateful!

Oh, that makes sense!

Thanks so much for the replies. I am learning more and more and am grateful!

And you can get really sneaky :unsure: .. put the pinecone in a cedar tree! :lol:

I learned that some will go to the trouble of making a beauty of a cache from a red pine cone -- then they put the thing into a white pine.

:blink::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've learned that, despite the occasional snarky response, in general, posters in these forums are way more civil than in any other forum I've been to. The patience with noobs in the Getting Started forum is remarkable--there are some great long-timers (I don't dare say "old") who always kindly offer up the same advice time after time.

I've also learned that some people take the whole geocaching thing way too seriously. I have yet to run across any post/cache/thing/etc that bothers me. Of course, I do encourage a "laid back and mellow" life style :)

I learned that some will go to the trouble of making a beauty of a cache from a red pine cone -- then they put the thing into a white pine.

:blink::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In a pine tree forest, that would be pretty funny. :)

I have learned that many people take this game way more seriously than I had ever imagined. I hope I don't need to reach that level.

+1 Way too much angst in these forums. There are a handful of poster's who you can always count on for a courteous and informative response (Briansnat and addisonbr come to mind immediately) and others you can almost be guaranteed a snarky or confrontational response (I won't name names, you know who you are :)) I still enjoy reading the threads though. I have learned alot along the way and rarely get involved with the angsty threads. I do get a lot of amusement reading all of the angry responses to the often misinterpreted responses that send many a thread on a downward spiral. In the words from a comic strip in Mad Magazine (I can't remember what the name of it was) "Hey, Lighten Up!!" :)

Edit: Alfred E. Newman's catch phrase was "What, Me Worry?", not "Hey Lighten Up". Anybody know what the name of the strip in Mad was that has the old white guy in it that the next to last panel in the strip always was "Hey Lighten up" and then some disaster would happen in the last panel?

Edited by slukster

Please note: That last comment wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. I've also learned that some people have very thin skins.

--Larry

IMO, It is a shame that we have to place disclaimers in our posts to make sure we don't offend people that the post wasn't even directed at.

Please note: This comment was directed at EVERYONE in particular. :laughing:

I've learned that when you type something that can be taken more then one way, it usually is.

I've learned that physical age and mental age are pretty far apart some times.

I've learned that some people have extremely thin skins.

I've learned to relax a little when old timers jest with one another.

I've learned to type less and cache more.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but in this thread I feel like I can confide! Tonight while reading the forums I learned that lamp post hides are extremely common and even looked down on by some people for that reason. Why am I embarrassed? Because I knew nothing about them, and when I found my first one this week I thought it was the coolest thing ever and even sent a message to the CO with my thanks! :lol:

I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but in this thread I feel like I can confide! Tonight while reading the forums I learned that lamp post hides are extremely common and even looked down on by some people for that reason. Why am I embarrassed? Because I knew nothing about them, and when I found my first one this week I thought it was the coolest thing ever and even sent a message to the CO with my thanks! :lol:

No embarrassment required! My first DNF/second find was a LPC, and I was all "oh, wow, these things lift up!" - well, after studying a blank patch of lawn for 20 minutes. :)

Unrelated thing thta I've learned from the forums... sometimes, you just have to add a purple crayon.

I started reading the forums shortly after I started caching, so I learned a whole lot here.

The person I learned to cache from, simply looked for a few caches now and then and that was it. (Not that there's anything wrong with that).

So, first I learned what a "muggle" is.

Then I learned about pocket queries were. Then I learned how to spell it.

I learned about night caches, lake/ small boat caches and other strange caches.

I learned about GSAK.

I learned what an ALR was (additional logging requirement) and that I didn't HAVE to put on those funny hats and clown noses anymore and take picture with the camera provided in order to log a cache.

I've learned about challenge caches

I learned about the caches that help teach you how to do puzzle caches.

I learned about the bookmark lists that are available to help me find different types of caches.

THEN I discovered the Off-topic forums.

After that I learned how important spelling really is (it's the way you come off)

I learned how to post pictures and use Photoshop (Thank you GOF!!)

I learned what a wildly diverse group of people geocache.

I learned to do better searches online, especially for pictures.

I've made friends with people all over the country and all over the world though this site.

I learned that what I say online is set in stone forever. Better be careful.

I have learned that there are a number of aspects of this GAME that just can't be totally agreed upon, but they just keep coming up all the same. (Usually posted by a n00b who didn't/couldn't use the search function.)

Even though everybody knows there can be no 'answer', the discussion usually continues until it degrades into a back-and-forth about what was meant by whichever statement, and who was quoted out-of-context.

I already know I'm right, I'm just looking for some confirmation here. ^_^

I have learned to limit the time I spend on the forums, seem like there are many with thousands of posts that spend most of there time on the forums, and very little time out actually Geocaching, but they seem to be self proclaimed experts on all aspects of Geocaching, but with very little real experience caching, and they are just itching to tell you how much they know. As said earlier, spend your time caching not here.

Scubasonic

Edited by Scubasonic

I learned:

--that I do not have to even open repetitive threads if I don't want to.

--that the great majority of cachers are not young men in their twenties.

--that it is ok to choose creativity over numbers and stay away from film canisters if I choose to.

--that most caches are not supposed to be found at GZ and there can be quite a bit of leeway on distance from GZ.

--that one does not have to lie to muggles, depending on the situation, (and it is often easier to tell them what I am doing.)

--that you do not have to make a hostile post to receive a hostile response.

--that it is fine to remember how excited and clever you felt when you found your first LPC.

--omg, I really did not need to learn that crayon thing!

I suspect that she will use that term much more sparingly now. :laughing:

Um, I'm not sure I want to look up any alternate meanings. It was intended as a random thing, with no meaning beyond what I gave it... that someone's logic is totally random and doesn't make sense, so have a purple crayon out of nowhere.

Maybe I better switch the color of the crayon.

I suspect that she will use that term much more sparingly now. :laughing:

Um, I'm not sure I want to look up any alternate meanings. It was intended as a random thing, with no meaning beyond what I gave it... that someone's logic is totally random and doesn't make sense, so have a purple crayon out of nowhere.

Maybe I better switch the color of the crayon.

Probably a good idea if you did. I wouldn't use blue either. Or black for that matter.